Upright frost free freezer.

/ Upright frost free freezer. #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
Anyone run an upright frost free freezer as a fridge? can they be run warm enough to not freeze (eg 34-38 deg)?

/ Upright frost free freezer. #2  
we have a full-size up-right freezer in the laundry/utility room just off the kitchen, and in the kitchen we have the matching all-fridge. Works well.
why do you want to use a freezer as a fridge ?

Pete

/ Upright frost free freezer.
im looking for an inexpensive all upright fridge for the kitchen. We often need extra space when the veggies start coming in and we keep adding chickens because we cant seem to keep up on egg sales, but there are times when having extra room for eggs would be nice also.

most all-fridge uprights are like 1K or better vs an upright freezer off CL for like $150. OR the upright fridges are twice the size we need (read commercial) but still 1K

Im wondering how many $40 mini-fridges i can stack on each other and what the break even number for energy usage is...

/ Upright frost free freezer. #5  
Just about every town has a used appliance store. Our local one sells refrigerators for a hundred bucks. Also, try Salvation Army, Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul stores for used refrigerators. If they have an above freezer, that's just a bonus place to flash freeze veggies before you freeze them, or a good place to keep popsicles or ice-cream.

We used to have an upright freezer. I hated it. After 20 years, I traded it for a chest. You can't put as much in an upright as a chest because stuff falls out and every time you open the door the cold air falls out on the floor and it has to run to catch up. A chest is a better option, more economical to run and holds more.

I suppose if you just run either at the lowest temp it may never freeze. Don't know for sure.

/ Upright frost free freezer. #7  
I looked into this a while ago. It seems the problem is condensation buildup and the lack of a drain pan. Refrigerators have coils in back with a fan blowing across them. Freezers have a set of coils inside the fridge and can't do anything with the condensation. Other than that, it's physically possible, just undesierable.

I'd look at commercial models to get what you want.

/ Upright frost free freezer.
I looked into this a while ago. It seems the problem is condensation buildup and the lack of a drain pan. Refrigerators have coils in back with a fan blowing across them. Freezers have a set of coils inside the fridge and can't do anything with the condensation. Other than that, it's physically possible, just undesierable.

I'd look at commercial models to get what you want.

Thats why i specify a frost free version, they have a heating cycle that should drive off condensation. My existing stand up freezer at my other property has a floor drain (but isnt frost free)

The new property has a HUGE ancient chest freezer that came with the house so we are useing that and I like it better than the stand up freezer. Twice in the past 10 years we had the door not close and all our food thaw out. Not going to happen with the chest version.

I have bought 2 normal older fridges off CL. One was $50 one was $100. they both came with freezers. I suppose i could look for a small fridge and replace the stack-o-minifridges i have...