Upstate NY Snow-Handling

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #1  

Got2BTru

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST CAB
OK, so I picked up a snow push for my 2555HST and I'm not really impressed. Thought winter is not quite over, I can see that I will have quite a bit of fun getting the gravel back into the driveway come next month (crossing fingers anyhow).

I'm thinking of getting a snow blower. I do NOT want to drive backwards down our 1350' driveway, so I'm looking at either a front mount or a rear mounted pull behind (forward facing).

The Mahindra front mount would be $8k according to my dealer (with mid-mount PTO addition). Anyone have one of the rear mounted pull behind, that is forward facing?

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #2  
You may want to look on you tube to see some in operation. It wouldn't be my choice but some people do like them . I have had snow storms here in Maine where my Kubota 5700 wouldn't drive through it , let alone pull a snow blower . I have a fairly long driveway that can get iced after a freezing rain making traction not so good underneath a new snow storm . I wouldn't want to have to back up for 1300 ft. either but it might be better choice as you can still have your bucket , you at least have a cab to stay warm . Maybe a back up camera would help out , sure would save some money as to the front or pull type blower .

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #3  
I use an old truck plow on the FEL and use one of the rear remotes to angle it. Don't have a pull type 3 pt. blower but a double auger Lorenz type. The plow works great but I too have a lot of raking this spring to get the gravel back in the driveway. Plowing up gravel is one of the downfalls of having a gravel drive. Price is why I don't have a front mount blower either.
I bought my tractor with a 7' snow pusher box and used it for one season but found it not very good for plowing driveways, especially with curves. Box fills up then can't steer. Its meant for straight runs like a parking lot so I sold mine the second year.

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #4  
Can't advise on a snow blower forward pull unit. I have a HLA branded 6' designed for tractor use, made in Canada plow that works great. A guy just recently posted about buying one, modifying it for his really rough over mile long drive. He added 'true' 'float' to his and likes it a lot. I do agree with no backwards blowing for me, or front mount, with center PTO. Complete nightmare to mount/dismount. Wicked expensive too. I can put my plow on in seconds, just like any QA attachment, and I can move snow as high as the loader will lift/push. It's FUN!

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #5  
Skip the front mount blower. Your machine isn’t big enough for the hydraulic type and the frame mount means you have to take the FEL off. You don’t need a Mahindra branded rear blower. I’d post something like “what’s the best brand of 3pt forward facing rear blower” over in the snow plow section. You will have about 10 pages of response and debate. It will show 2-3 common names and from there it will come down to cost (with shipping) or one your local dealer can source for you.

I’m wondering why the front blade was such a mess. If your ground doesn’t freeze and stay frozen all winter then the hinged chain type is what you need. My FEL blade doesn’t like the first and last snow storms. The ground isn’t frozen and all it does is dig. If your ground thaws I’d imagine you had a long winter fighting that! Another thing folks don’t realize is front blade = front chains. If you had big rear chains and a front plow I’m guessing the front end got pushed around a bit.

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #6  
I’ve got 700 feet of drive, with my 3 point blower I can do the driveway part in 5 minutes or less, that’s with 14” of wet snow. It’s not bad at all on my neck, but I’m only 27 lol I’m pretty far UPSTATE lol 30 minutes south of the border.

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #7  
I don't have pull behind blower but friend does and likes it if snow fluffy less than foot,but when it comes to hard 2' snow drifts extra work w/front loader.

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #8  
Skip the front mount blower. Your machine isn’t big enough for the hydraulic type and the frame mount means you have to take the FEL off. You don’t need a Mahindra branded rear blower. I’d post something like “what’s the best brand of 3pt forward facing rear blower” over in the snow plow section. You will have about 10 pages of response and debate. It will show 2-3 common names and from there it will come down to cost (with shipping) or one your local dealer can source for you.

I’m wondering why the front blade was such a mess. If your ground doesn’t freeze and stay frozen all winter then the hinged chain type is what you need. My FEL blade doesn’t like the first and last snow storms. The ground isn’t frozen and all it does is dig. If your ground thaws I’d imagine you had a long winter fighting that! Another thing folks don’t realize is front blade = front chains. If you had big rear chains and a front plow I’m guessing the front end got pushed around a bit.

OP stated:"OK, so I picked up a snow push for my 2555HST and I'm not really impressed."

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #9  
I have thought about a pull type blower also.
At this time I have a plow for the FEL, I have the back blade, and of course the loader bucket and a plow truck.
My only concern with a blower would be the same concern with all the different blades when the driveway is soft
how to keep it from digging into the gravel.

/ Upstate NY Snow-Handling #10  
Before giving up on the front Pusher/plow, try putting a pipe over the cutting edge. It makes a huge difference.