US Hwy 1 how things have changed

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed
Where I live, big trucks are my fear. I have had to move over nearly into the ditch a couple of times because they came over the center line. Don't know if they are inattentive, or just poor drivers.
i've lived in the country on and off for a long time. if you are on a rural 2 lane 55 mph hwy and you come to a sweeping turn and you are on the outside of the curve.....

you better plan on a white f150 coming the other direction taking 1/3 of your lane, it's just the way it is.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #22  
I once saw a woman pulling on to Hwy 9 from a busy intersection (stop sign from her direction only), truck [newer diesel I think it was] pulling a medium-sized horse trailer and she had a cell phone in her left hand as she was cranking the steering wheel and pulling out on to that highway! How in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks does a new vehicle NOT come with Bluetooth?
Maybe she just didn't know how to use it, some of this techie stuff is not very intuitive.
Personally, I don't see a driver being absorbed in a phonecall behind the wheel is any less dangerous hands-free. What percentage of these calls are really all that important? Probably very small.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #23  
Maybe she just didn't know how to use it, some of this techie stuff is not very intuitive.
Personally, I don't see a driver being absorbed in a phonecall behind the wheel is any less dangerous hands-free. What percentage of these calls are really all that important? Probably very small.
I agree on the “presence” argument…no better hands free vs in hand if your mind isn’t focused on operating the vehicle. However, the issue with hands is your eyes. If you are looking at the phone for any reason, you arent looking at the road…and that is much more dangerous.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #24  
i've lived in the country on and off for a long time. if you are on a rural 2 lane 55 mph hwy and you come to a sweeping turn and you are on the outside of the curve.....

you better plan on a white f150 coming the other direction taking 1/3 of your lane, it's just the way it is.
For some reason, the young hot rodders around here are driving Dodge pickups; right on you arse!

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #25  
I have to drive in NJ all the time.
Passing on the right since police on the left/median is very common.
Cell phone, while eating (sometimes a bowl on lap, spork and phone!)
See them wandering lanes, so pretty obvious, but never pulled over. Fine is too small I guess vs. speeding.
I have had a phone since 94/95 and rarely use it in the car except for driving directions. Have a holder so I can see it easily without taking an eye off the road. and it's BT for calls.
Don;t know why people need to be holding them all the time.
another fatal accident on rt 1 near us this morning.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #26  
If you are looking at the phone for any reason, you arent looking at the road…and that is much more dangerous.
As little use as I have for cellphones, they get a bit of a bad rap here. Drivers have found ways to pay attention to everything but the road long before the cellphone was even invented.

Unfortunately, many newer vehicles (including most EVs) have most if not all functions on the center touchscreen. Who thought it was a good idea to make you go down several menu options to open the windows, adjust the heater, turn up the radio, etc? While more government regulation is rarely a good idea, IMHO they need to step in on this.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #27  
As little use as I have for cellphones, they get a bit of a bad rap here. Drivers have found ways to pay attention to everything but the road long before the cellphone was even invented.

Unfortunately, many newer vehicles (including most EVs) have most if not all functions on the center touchscreen. Who thought it was a good idea to make you go down several menu options to open the windows, adjust the heater, turn up the radio, etc? While more government regulation is rarely a good idea, IMHO they need to step in on this.
I agree. When I bought my 2018 F-250 I purposefully did not go with the "platinum" model because of all that computer stuff. I want KNOBS!

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #28  
Personally, I don't see a driver being absorbed in a phonecall behind the wheel is any less dangerous hands-free. ....

I sure agree that the techie stuff is not intuitive and I work in the business! :eek: :D My truck is 20 years old and the thought of getting a new vehicle, if one could actually get a new vehicle today, is not a happy thought.

There is a difference between hand free cell calls and using one's hands. I have seen it over and over and over. Many people using their hand to hold the phone up to their head, do not move their head to look to see other traffic. They just stare straight ahead. The use of the hand limits head movement for some reason. I saw one ejit driving in fairly heavy traffic, while on the phone, doing 10-15 over the speed limit, changing lanes one after another, while he was hand holding his cell phone. What made this even worse, was that he had been on the phone long enough that his right arm was tired so he was leaning on the center console. :eek: As he changed lanes, multiple times, he NEVER lifted his head from the cell phone as he leaned on the center console. He never looked in a side view or review mirror. :mad: He just zoomed through traffic like it was a video game. (n)

Now, that is the worst I have seen, but I have seen so many other drivers talking while holding the phone where they do not look at traffic because holding that phone just makes it hard to turn the head. It is odd how that happens.

Then there are the people texting or reading the cell phone.....

Hands free won't solve all of the problems with using a cell phone in a vehicle but it does help people look at other traffic. If they so desire. ☹️

Later,
Dan

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #29  
Ther passing car gained perhaps 1 second in that move. And then the same car passed a couple more cars as oncoming traffic had to veer off to the shoulder a bit.
I was hauling a load of hay from Arlington over North Cascades pass about 6 weeks ago. I saw what you describe a good half dozen or more times. A sports car club had apparently decided to use hwy. 20, a road full of families in motorhomes and other RVs, as their rally course. I was surprised that there weren't any accidents. My thought was if they wanted to have a rally/race, rent a race track, not a public road. Many of the cars I saw were in the $100K+ range, except for the one "impoverished" guy who drove a new or nearly new Corvette. The point of hwy.20 in the north Cascades in the scenery.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #30  
I have been on a few road rally's, they are not about speed, but about scenery and fun.
Usually we would pick some roads that were less busy, but that can be hard to do.