Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #1  

geedub

Silver Member
Hi all. You may remember me as the lovable city boy who was helping his fiance find a tractor last year. That effort did not result in a purchase and I'm at it again. I think part of the reason she didn't buy the last tractor I recommended was that the price of $20,800 was out of her comfort range. As a result I've decided to focus on smaller tractors for now. 45 HP would be nice, but realistically I think she would be fine with a smaller tractor. We have great neighbors with large tractors who are always willing to help in a pinch.

The reason I didn't put this thread in the Kubota section is that it's more about new vs. used than it is about brand.

And now Ladies and Gentlemen, from the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons section at TractorByNet, for the 1000s in attendance and the millions watching around the world, LLLLLET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUMBLLLLLLLLLE!

In the used corner, weighing in at 3305 lbs. and hailing from Osaka, Japan with a record of 445 hours and 1 owner, we have Kubota L3430 HSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:

And in the new corner, weighing in at 3395 lbs, and also hailing from Osaka and featuring the HST PLUS transmission and an even record of 0 hours and 0 owners, Kubota L3240 "Grand L" HST PLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

TALE OF THE TAPE:

L3430
Year: 2004
Hours: 445
Condition: very good
Drive: 4WD
PTO HP: 27
Lift capacity: 2650 lbs
Implements: 723 FEL, box blade, 48" finish mower, landscape rake
Asking price: $16,500
Terms: cash on delivery

L3240
Year: 2008
Hours: 0
Condition: new
PTO HP: 25
Implements: 724 FEL
Asking price: $18,850
Terms: 24 month financing at 0% interest

Our referee tonight is the odd mix of crusty farmers, tool junkies and property maintenance geeks at the world famous TractorByNet forum.

I want a clean fight, no whining about gear trannies, tractor color, or bigger is better.

*DING* And that begins round 1...

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #2  
I think I would tkae the L3430 in that situation. The implements would be worth a few thousand if you need them and were to have to buy them new.

Don't get me wrong, I like new. The 40 series is pretty awesome. 400 and some hours is not a heck of a lot however and you are effectively paying no more than $14K for the tractor vs. $19k for the new one. That is a $5k difference!

Not sure how sales taxes work where you are but here you don't pay sales taxes on a private sale but will on a new purchase.

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #3  
I own a 3430 so I am a bit biased...

I agree with the above that financially the older tractor looks better if you can swing it. (loan cost?)

I am curious about performance..... I assume no big handicap like one with loaded tires and one without...

If you have the opportunity, drive each one in top gear and then transit up a gentle incline (try to match the hill for each to make a fair test).

If I keep my hydrostat to the floor, I will stall the tractor as the grade increases. I am curious if the new one does this too.

I now drive to the tachometer so simply back off the hydrostat go pedal as the load starts to pull the engine down... Works fine now that I understand it....

Good luck either way! Great tractor regardless of your decision!!

(oh and my wife loves to take the 3430 and move snow, old garages, dirt piles , etc for our friends.... )

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #4  
You mention asking price; what you may need to know is the "out the door" price. It may move you to one over the other. 0% financing is always good.
Implements are a plus, as long as you need them. Hours are good as long as it was maintained;ask for records or ask how he maintained it. What did owner pay for it new? Any warranty on used unit? Something to consider.
my thoughts only.

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #5  
If you do not need to finance (I guess you may be able to find financing on a used tractor, but then add up the total cost over the finance term).

As mentioned the implements add up in $$$ real quick and are worth some money. My 3430 HST just turned 300 hours old and I am hard on tools, yes my tractor is just a tool, albeit an expensive one. I have had stumps role down from the burn pile that I was stacking and crash into the tractor and break/bend the hood and headlight. Put a stick through the radiator and it keeps going. I can't imagine an extra 140 hours would matter.

Also with the used tractor try talking the person down in price.

Ask about who maintained it and if they have receippts and records.

steve

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST
Thanks for the feedback.

In our case the only implement she might have purchased would be the box blade for just over 1 mile of dirt road/driveway. The lawn is handled with a riding mower and what she really needs is a heavy duty cutter for keeping the underbrush down in some wooded areas around the new pond. I can't imagine using the rake attachment. I'm sure we could sell what we don't use so it still adds value.

DavidVT, your point about the stalling is interesting because from what I read the HST PLUS automatically adjusts the speed of the drive motor and the hydraulic pump depending on the load. Since we're novices with tractors I thought this might be a valuable feature.

The 3430 is from a private seller so no warranty. I'm curious how much value you all put on the factory warranty. How common is it to need work covered by the warranty in the first few years?

Cindy would not need to finance the used tractor. With the 0% financing on the 3240 she could use that money over time to invest or pay down her mortgage. Of course the new tractor will include sales tax and I'm not sure if tax will ever be collected on the used one from a private sale.

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #7  
I would not put much value on the factory warranty as long as it is a well maintained machine. There is the odd time you end up with something that is a lemon but for the most part these are good reliable machines that will last a long time.

I can't believe not having a rake after having had one. I use it for a lot of stuff - manure cleanup, general cleanup etc. etc.

You could probably sell the finish mower and get a rotary cutter.

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #8  
geedub said:
Hi all.
TALE OF THE TAPE:

L3430
Year: 2004
Hours: 445
Condition: very good
PTO HP: 27
Implements: 723 FEL, box blade, 48" finish mower, landscape rake
Asking price: $16,500
Terms: cash on delivery

L3240
Year: 2008
Hours: 0
Condition: new
PTO HP: 25
Implements: 724 FEL
Asking price: $18,850

*DING* And that begins round 1...

I am pretty sure that you must be using troy oz for your pounds or something.

The 723 loader can lift about 1600 pounds. Or about 720 kg (that's how Kubota names them, by kg lift capacity).

I would get the used machine with the extra implements. I would also try and wheedle them down to $16000 or even $15,500. Offer $15,500 cash on the spot, you pick up and take it home.

The HST plus is supposed to be nice, but that's a lot of $$.

jb

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST
I assume the lift figure is for the hitch.

/ Used L 3430 HST vs New L3240 HST #10  
Ahhhhh, I normally look at that as 3pt capacity at 24" behind the arms. That's pretty much the standard used to direct compare 3pt capability between machines. Kubota is actually pretty honest on the ratings, some are swayed by the marketing department....

jb