Used pickup questions

/ Used pickup questions #1  

ufcxl

Tractor
JD 5085E
Howdy, weekend farmer here. I need a farm truck to haul around stuff, including a tractor. Looking at used 3/4 ton but so many are high miles (100K+). Any thoughts on high mile PU’s? Diesel vs gas? Beyond the obvious, what should I pay attention to?

/ Used pickup questions #2  
Howdy, weekend farmer here. I need a farm truck to haul around stuff, including a tractor. Looking at used 3/4 ton but so many are high miles (100K+). Any thoughts on high mile PU’s? Diesel vs gas? Beyond the obvious, what should I pay attention to?
A GM 6.0 gasser is usually pretty bulletproof if maintained. Rust is their biggest enemy. Diesels are hit/miss and painfully expensive to fix unless you find a pre def version...Those are spendy now.

/ Used pickup questions #3  
My trucks:

2002 GMC 3500 4 x 4 6.6 diesel 191,000 all original I am the 2nd owner purchased at 188,000

2004 GMC 3500 2 x 4 6.6 diesel wrecked by my son at 451,000 all original my favorite I am the second owner purchased at 69,000 miles

2005 GMC 2500 HD 4 x 4, 6.0 gas 360,000 miles new motor at 209,000 miles, new transfer case at 358,000 purchased new asking $10,000 Florida truck no rust

2007 GMC 3500 Classic 4 x 4 6.6 diesel 398,000 all original I am the second owner purchased at 109,000 miles

High mileage is not a problem. These have all been FL trucks so rust is not a problem.

/ Used pickup questions #4  
Stay away from the Ford 6.0 diesel. For the most part anything else is decent, gas or diesel. 100k miles isn't "high mileage" on these newer vehicles (2000's and up) especially trucks - 250k miles is the new 100k miles.

Less problems with gas, and people with diesel trucks think they're made of gold. Well, any people with trucks (period) right now think they're made of gold, but for diesel it's even worse. If you don't need diesel stick with gas.

/ Used pickup questions #5  
I have a question. I own a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quadcab 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins, and DVD player in back, 6 disc CD/DVD player, AM/FM/Sirius radio. Mileage is about 73,000. No DEF. Added items: Rancho 9000 shocks; SuperSprings (5,000#), Hellwig BigWig anti-sway bar, Michelin tires, Gooseneck setup in long bed, sprayed on bed liner. What would be a good price for this truck. Nothing wrong with engine or truck but it does have a few dents & dings since I use the truck for camping, fishing, and hauling wood and my trailers. I don't drive it as much as I did when I first bought it in 2008 which is one reason I'm planning to sell it.

For those who drive diesel trucks, does letting the truck set for months at a time cause any issues? If yes, what issues would they be. I live north of El Paso, TX in New Mexico.

/ Used pickup questions #6  
I have a question. I own a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quadcab 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins, and DVD player in back, 6 disc CD/DVD player, AM/FM/Sirius radio. Mileage is about 73,000. No DEF. Added items: Rancho 9000 shocks; SuperSprings (5,000#), Hellwig BigWig anti-sway bar, Michelin tires, Gooseneck setup in long bed, sprayed on bed liner. What would be a good price for this truck. Nothing wrong with engine or truck but it does have a few dents & dings since I use the truck for camping, fishing, and hauling wood and my trailers. I don't drive it as much as I did when I first bought it in 2008 which is one reason I'm planning to sell it.

For those who drive diesel trucks, does letting the truck set for months at a time cause any issues? If yes, what issues would they be. I live north of El Paso, TX in New Mexico.
Based on the prices I've been seeing i would say $35k

/ Used pickup questions #7  
Just checked my pickup on Kelly Blue Book and it's worth $5000 more as a trade in than when I bought it used 2.5 years and 25,000 miles ago. This is just plain nuts, who would ever think that you could consider a used vehicle to be an investment like stocks or metals.

/ Used pickup questions #8  

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins. I’ve owned it since 2009 and it’s my weekend chore and play truck. I put only 5-10k miles on it per year because it’s not a daily driver. I just do maintenance more by time rather than miles: oil and filters change annually, because I don’t like to let this go for 2 years even if I only drive 5k miles. I store it under a carport and it’s in good condition. I expect to be using it for years to come.

/ Used pickup questions #9  
I’d consider 200-250k range to be high mileage vs 100k. That’s almost new by my standards. I’d stay away from a diesel for your use. They’re bringing stupid money right now and the return just isn’t there. A gas burner is completely capable of towing a tractor especially occasionally.

/ Used pickup questions #10  
Stay away from the Ford 6.0 diesel. For the most part anything else is decent, gas or diesel. 100k miles isn't "high mileage" on these newer vehicles (2000's and up) especially trucks - 250k miles is the new 100k miles.

Less problems with gas, and people with diesel trucks think they're made of gold. Well, any people with trucks (period) right now think they're made of gold, but for diesel it's even worse. If you don't need diesel stick with gas.
And stay away from the 6.4L Ford, too. I bought them because they were cheap, and paid all the savings back in repairs.

If I were the OP I’d be looking for a pre emissions 2500/3500 Duramax diesel.