Used rider suggestions

/ Used rider suggestions #1  

Behrend II

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3140H
Hi,

I'm looking to but a used riding lawnmower in the $1000 price range. I mow about 1.5 hilly acres with a lot of turns. I've got a larger Kubota tractor that I've used for years but would like a dedicated lawnmower so I don't have to mess around with removing implements every time I moa.

I've also got some kids that are getting to the mowing age and want something smaller for them. Any suggestions our at least what to stay away from? Thanks.

/ Used rider suggestions #3  
A push mower of indifferent breeding is 250.00 dollars these days,a good one is 500.00 and they go up from there.Look on ebay locally,if it
Runs,and the blades turn and the wheels dont fall off when you drive down the driveway,it'll probably be worth whatever the man wants for it. If its super cheap,ask him why,still might not be anything really wrong with it. He might just want a new push mower.

/ Used rider suggestions #4  
For kids to use and abuse learning how to mow? Whatever is cheap on your local Craigslist.
If you want to get fancy, a older Cub Cadet 18xx and 3000 series are pretty much bulletproof as are the Deere 300 and 400 series, the Kubota G series (G4200, G5200, 6200, etc).

Aaron Z

/ Used rider suggestions
Does anyone have any feedback on this model & price? 2005 Cub Cadet riding lawn mower LT 2042 with Bagger - $1700. it only has 102 hours on it.

/ Used rider suggestions #6  
if looking in the 1000$ range? I think I'd forget used.

you can get new machines, albiet economy.. in the 800, 900 and 1000 price marks. the 800 are usually the rear engine murray / snapper look alikes witht he sub 30" cuts for tight areas.

you get the benefit of a newer machine to start out with.. 1k$ is too little to get a used ztr.. IMHO... maybee a REAL used one.. but I'd be afraid of the drives on a beat commercial unit.. or the abuse a homeowner economy ztr might have seen to get it to that price.

I'd stick with a NEW economy rider..

ps.. my economy rider.. a murray from 15 +/- ys ago.. still starts up and runs good. deck is now getting shot.. but i paid economy price for her...a long time ago..

Last edited:
   / Used rider suggestions #7  
Hey,BII,that cub 2042 is a good tractor. Shaft deck drive and servicable transmission,no belts at all. Around 3grand in 'o5. I want one now.