Used Toolcat Trial Run

/ Used Toolcat Trial Run #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
This weekend I have a low hour used Toolcat B-series turbo with hi-flow hydraulics for demo/test. My spouse and I have another full day ahead of us for testing this unit today. We started yesterday to get a feel for the range of utility as best we could with only a bucket to use. For backgound our property is currently undeveloped 42 acres with only logging roads and a 6 acre pasture, which I cleared with my JD5325, as the only improvements. My impressions are the following:

Pros - (1) nice climate control...AC on in 78F weather for test... wish I had last week during 95F weather, (2) ergonomics of cab make use of features and controls easy...blend of skid-steere, tractor & truck environment, (3) xlnt horizontal visability, (4) 4wheel steer allows for tight manuevering in woods especially after getting myself in a tight spot...would also be great in tight vineyard rows....activating/deactivating 4 wheel steering is simple, (5) surprisingly good lift of heavy objects...I flipped a few larger(~4' x 3' x 2') and dug out a few medium sized rocks, (6) dump bed lift is built for the 1 ton capacity...good tie-down choices...provide tool carrying capability, (7) travel speed on flat surfaces can be swift, (8) good ground clearance for use in woods, (9) main body does not scratch in briar/multifloral rose emersion, (10) good arm visibility, (11) illiuminating night light capability...extends the day, and (12)not tested - hi flow hydraulics allows for larger range of skid steer attachments.
Cons - (1) choppy ride on uneven surfaces...thumped my tailbone a few times even at low speed, (2) tire spin on digging into mulch pile with low range higher torque and rear diff lock activated, (3) exposed front end when working in brush environment....concern for damage, (4) opening door in tight quarters such as in vineyard rows, (5) can't see overhead (true for most cabs),(6) low ride height which leads to not seeing rocks and logs in covered forest, and (7) sluggish front arm control.
Neutrals - (1) 4 wheel steer while pushing load causes lateral movement...on hills its even trickier, (2) diesel use comparable but seems slightly higher to tractor at low rpms, (3) tipping knowledge...getting use to the limits of tractor when traversing uneven ground and/or lifting heavy objects, and (4) neutral appeal to spouse which surprises me.

The choppy ride and thumping tailbone frequency on our property has me spooked. This machine/vehicle may be better suited to us after we have developed our land a little farther. At the end of the day this appears to be an excellent utility vehicle for many surface activities all year round.

/ Used Toolcat Trial Run #2  
good review

front lift arm should not be sluggish - its top speed will be governed by rpm.

yes, the biggest difference from my 85 horse tractor with loader (10,500lbs)and the toolcat is the ride on bumpy roads/fields and traction - truck tires vs 18.4 lugged ag tires and mechanical seat vs air ride. but they really are not equiv. except in price! the toolcat will go places the tractor would never fit and is soo much more manuverable. also more versatile with front attachments. the tractor bucket is much larger but i can get more done with the toolcat per hour b/o its manuv. and speed. no gear shifting. i have a 3500 gmc 2 yard dump truck.

if i were clearing woods and fields from start the toolcat would not be my choice. a small bulldozer (aka case 350 or jd 450) would really be the best. A small ag tractor - aka 5000 jd, cx85 mccormick, 105x kubota would do better.
the toolcat is more of a maintence machine. For snow removal, barn/animal care, odd jobs, landscaping it is the cat's meow. I put 40 hours on my tractor in the first year - i put 25 on the toolcat in the first 3 weeks.

btw - make sure the seat is dialed in correctly - during the first 1/2 hour of my demo i was constantly "hitting my tailbone" as the seat was set too low. I am 235 and the seat does not bottom set correctly.

TS

/ Used Toolcat Trial Run
theoshin - Thank you for the reply. I just finished another full day with my spouse getting most of the stick time. I did make the adjustments to the seat today for myself by cranking the lever all the way to the heavest person setting and it made only marginal improvement. The Toolcat still seems to hit hard over the bumps and I feel it. I do think that the Toolcat has dual personality showing a civilized versatility for developed properties and the strength of hi flow hydraulics option to perform more significant tasks. It appears to me that we will probably pass on the Toolcat until we are living on the property with more of the development completed. Cheers.

/ Used Toolcat Trial Run #4  
Haoleguy,

I think that is a pretty fair review. I use the Toolcat in CRP fields and pasture areas for maintenance work and that is a very good fit. I have an 84hp JD with loader and rotary mower that I am selling due to lack of use. The Toolcat is more versatile and much more comfortable (cab versus open tractor) but you definitely feel the bumps more. Fortunately the hydro allows for variable speed to offset some of that.

I can dig faster with the Toolcat than I can with the tractor (2wd/gear trans). The all wheel steer and hydro lets me re-position quickly. Also, I carry tools in the dump bed most of the time. The bedliner has slots to install a board which creates a foot or so of tool storage across the front of the bed. I carry the chainsaw, fuel, oil, log chains, etc in that space then load the rest with brush, logs, etc and haul them away when I am done. Many times have a grapple full too. Pretty handy.

I mowed a couple of weeks ago when it was in the mid 90s and humid. Cab stayed comfortable with the blower on low.

dsb