Used Toolcats

/ Used Toolcats #1  

dsb5610

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4720 Cab
From reading in this forum I know there are owners of all the series of Toolcats. If I were to start looking at used Toolcats (hard to come by) are there any specific items I should look out for on the A-Series or B-Series? I'm wondering if I couldn't get into a low hour used one with attachments for the same price of a new one without any attachments.

If you haven't figured it out by all my recent posts I've been bitten by the Toolcat bug and find this forum to be the best source of info ..... Thanks in advanced.

dsb

/ Used Toolcats #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From reading in this forum I know there are owners of all the series of Toolcats. If I were to start looking at used Toolcats (hard to come by) are there any specific items I should look out for on the A-Series or B-Series?... If you haven't figured it out by all my recent posts I've been bitten by the Toolcat bug and find this forum to be the best source of info ..... Thanks in advanced. dsb )</font>
dsb5610,
Just remember certain options and accessories are model and/or series-specific. If you want to add Rear PTO or Rear Hydraulics, only B or C series Toolcats can take those options. If you want high-flow auxillary hydraulics, it is only offered on Turbo B and C series models...and so on.

When buying used, note right now quite a few will be A and B dealer demo and rental units, since dealers want to be showing off the C-series features. You want to be sure all the free manufacturer upgrades have been done to older used units, such as axle replacement from early A series units, radiator fan and cover screen mods, software upgrades, etc.

And you have to decide whether or not you can live without the latest and greatest features and options on the newer-series Toolcats. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, most Bobcat dealers list their used inventory online on web sites accessed through the Bobcat dealer locator.

/ Used Toolcats #3  
I bought a used Toolcat on Ebay.

I had the same philosophy as you.

Yooper Dave

/ Used Toolcats
Worked out a verbal agreement on a 2003 44hp unit with low hours. On Fri I will go to look it over and run it a bit. If everything is as described I will be dragging it home. Comes with a good selection of attachments.

Talked to the dealer that sold and serviced it. All of the mods available for this unit have been performed.

Will provide more details after I've had a chance to see everything first hand.

dsb

/ Used Toolcats #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Worked out a verbal agreement on a 2003 44hp unit with low hours. On Fri I will go to look it over and run it a bit. If everything is as described I will be dragging it home. Comes with a good selection of attachments.

Talked to the dealer that sold and serviced it. All of the mods available for this unit have been performed. Will provide more details after I've had a chance to see everything first hand. dsb )</font>
dsb5610,
I hope you have a good find, esp. with attachments! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But note I think the 44hp (rather than the 46hp or 56hp versions) Kubota engine was on the VERY EARLIEST 2003 A-series Toolcats. And because of the positioning of some below-dump-bed components, I don't think the Rear PTO option is possible to be added onto A-series units (only B & C). Thus any plans for pulling wide PTO rear mowers for your big August cutting project likely would be incompatible... But there's plenty to be done from the front (or with non-PTO rear towing) with that Toolcat! Good luck on Friday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Used Toolcats
Thanks Brian,

I understand the rear PTO issue. This unit comes with a new snowblower which I will likely sell and buy a front rough cut mower. I have run across at least one that uses gauge wheels to control the height to a level that will work for my purpose. The other item you mentioned is the lack of rear hydraulics. That would be a problem but I have already thought about having a set of hoses made to extend the front hydraulics to the rear to connect to a cylinder for my planter for what little I use it.

I figure if I can get into this one for the $$$$ we agreed and with this many attachements I can do without all the latest features and find out if a toolcat is the answer. If it is, but this one is limited, I can always trade the unit (keep the attachments) and get a bigger one. Another option is to keep this one, buy another one and solve the problem of how do I use the bucket to load the back.....that's a long shot.

Anyway, with a little luck I will be a coolcat in a toolcat by the end of the weekend. Anyone interested in some nice JD equipment?

dsb

/ Used Toolcats
Add me to the list of owners ..... I've got a 2003 44hp with 230 hours. This unit was owned by a lady with 170 acres. Most of the hours are from mowing. She used the snowblower one time, used the grapple to feed hay to a few head of cattle and clean trees/limbs in a woods on the property. The unit had never been off her property. Everything is in very good condition.

This is a later 44hp model. It has the same front hydraulic hookups as the new ones versus the early unit style. Options include AC/heat, mirror, bedliner, rear window guard, attachment control kit and front/rear light kit.

Attachments include bucket (60"?), utility grapple, SB200 (66") snowblower and 72" finish mower.

Attached is a pic of the Toolcat still on the trailer when I got home.

dsb

Attachments

• 819368-ToolCat.JPG
    819368-ToolCat.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,411
   / Used Toolcats
Another pic of the attachments still loaded.

dsb

Attachments

• 819369-TC_Attachments.JPG
    819369-TC_Attachments.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 741
   / Used Toolcats #9  
dsb5610,
Congratulations on your Toolcat purchase! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I saw in the ad where the former owner moved to Florida but left the Toolcat near you in IL! Looks like you have a nice find with all of the options, accessories and attachments included, along with verification of all factory recall work and maintenance done.

I think you can add more pieces to that Bobcat farm grapple/utlility fork combo if you desire.

And you'll like the 72" finish mower. I do plan to check on using Gator high-lift mulching blades or something like that with mine this year to make the cut even better (smaller clippings cut more times, etc.) ...

/ Used Toolcats
That's the one! I've been playing with the utility grapple and the bucket a little to get the feel of it. Similar to the rubber-tired end loaders I have run.

I was hoping the utility grapple would help solve my tree problem but it doesn't appear to be the solution. Looks like my first addition is going to be a post/tree puller similar to this one Tree Terminator . That should allow me to remove the trees/shrubs with the least amount of disturbance. I will find out what they get for one of those and depending on the price I may buy a quick tach plate and have the local welding shop build me one. I will start a new post when I get something to give feedback on that.

Overall my first impression is this machine is going to work out well for us. I do need to figure out an attachment level gauge. Not sure if that is an option or not but I will need something.

dsb