Used tractor concern

/ Used tractor concern #1  

85txaggie

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
When buying a used tractor from an individual, how can you ensure that the person selling it has the right to sell it? Not sure about all states, but from what I understand, Washington state does not issue a title for tractors. If I buy from an individual, I want to make sure any loans are taken care of and that the tractor is not stolen. Is there an easy way ensure the tractor can legally be sold?

/ Used tractor concern #2  
You are correct, Washington state does not title tractors. You can check with local law enforcement to ascertain whether the tractor is stolen. You can also ask they buyer to show you a receipt proving he purchased the tractor. I'm not sure how you'd tell whether there are any loans against the tractor.

/ Used tractor concern #3  
Most States don’t issue title for tractors.

You want a Bill of Sale signed by you and the seller. The Bill would state that the seller owns snd has the right to sell the property, and that it is free and clear of any liens, encumbrances, etc. You dhould be able to find examples online.

That’s really all that you can do; unfortunately, if someone is going to scam you, they won’t hesitate to sign a Bill with false statements.

Could also ask the local PD to run the serial number to see if it shiws up stolen.

In the end though, there’s no guarantee. Just have to trust people. If you’re not comfortable with the seller, just move on.

/ Used tractor concern #4  
Buying from a reputable dealer is a start. Hire a lawyer to do lien searches.

I prefer buying new with warranty so I don't have to worry about what a previous owner did or did not do. I also get a warranty and a little recourse if the dealer does something shady.

/ Used tractor concern #5  
Legitimate question, concern

The serial number should be traceable somehow. If there is a Dealership sticker / identifier on the tractor, they may also have a Sales record, Bill of Sale for at least the initial sale. If it has been bought / sold several times it would be harder to find the complete paper trail though.

I don't think BC does any sort of tractor registration either, always makes me wonder.

All the Best

/ Used tractor concern #6  
As a first-time tractor buyer, I suggest you go the dealer route to minimize any risk.
If you don't know much about tractors, it might be easy to make a bad decision. With a dealer, there's some recourse...private sales...well, you're on your own

/ Used tractor concern #7  
The only thing I will add is that if the seller financed the machine and paid it off they should have some type of lien release paperwork. Certainly not ironclad, but if they state the machine was financed and paid off I would insist on seeing the paperwork. They could just add easily say they paid cash for the machine though.
I'm sure dealers sure their due diligence and search for lien releases and possibly theft reports when buying used tractors. Perhaps this is a service a dealer may provide for a fee? I've never looked into that.

/ Used tractor concern #8  
I seem to remember that there is some sort of registry run by the financial community that lists serial numbers of equipment that is financed. The list includes tractors, equipment etc.

/ Used tractor concern #9  
Go with gut feelings in doubt back a way.

/ Used tractor concern #10  
From all I have heard and little I know there is really no sure fired way. If you use youtube look up TTWT, tractor time with Tim. He bought a stolen tractor; his story is interesting. Depending on what resources you have: check the seller, some areas you can pull any info on lawsuits or legal issues. If a major brand and reasonable new they may have serial numbers recorded to the seller. I bought a used Volvo excavator and when I went to buy a part, they hit me with, you don't show in our system as owner...was glad I have bought directly from Volvo. Have known of dealers buy used tractors that were not legal sales. Have known of dealers to sell tractors with the dealership having a lien on the tractors and did not pay it off (floor plan). There is a reason the lender on floor plans does an inventory visit at any kind of dealership.