Buying Advice Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #1  

nrosario

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320PCC
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help and opinion on the following.
I was able to some/what convince our Finance Committee on purchasing a Sub-Compact or Small Compact tractor.

We own a 1/2 acre and another 1 acre which is family owned.
Here are the task involved:
  • Mowing
  • Removing bushes and small trees
  • Digging
  • Trenching
  • Load transportation (in pallets)
  • Tilling
  • Maintaining two drive ways, 60 meters combined
  • Other fun stuff..Tasks

I already went through the analysis and exercise of owning vs hiring vs renting, decided to own.
Equipment specs, attachments an implements:
  • 25-29 hp
  • Small Compact or Sub-Compact (1500 to 2000 pounds)
  • FEL
  • Backhoe with thumb
  • Mid Mount Mower (preferable)
  • Pallet Forks
  • Small Tiller
  • Ballast Box
  • Quick Hitch Adapter
  • Grapple

I already tried and check the following brands and dealers within 1 hr drive
  • Kubota
  • John Deere
  • TYM
  • Mahindra
  • Kioti
  • New Holland
  • LS

I have a really close Kubota dealer and father and son Kioti which is not too far that I really like.
My initial budget was to put $10 - $15k down and finance the rest.
I was undecided between the Kubota B2601 and Kioti CK2510 until we had the need to purchase a new truck.

At this point we don't want to take another loan.

Then decided to hold off until next spring or until latter next year and do all the work by hand.
My back was not in agreement with that statement and after an intense weekend of heavy work decided to firmly complaint every time I'm digging with my shovel or moving dirt with my wheel-barrel...To tell you the truth I'm also tire of using the push mower and cutting branches and bushes with a machete and moving them by hand. I want my new toy now.

Here are my options:

1- Try to take it easy and continue to do all the manual work as body and time permits.
2- Buy used
3- Hire some crew to take care of the immediate needs. We already tried this and is not working, they already have done some damage and we are not happy with the delivered results so far.

Yesterday, while searching for used equipment, found a listing for a Mahindra Max 28 XL TBL + MMM with 300+ hrs, called them and the minimum out the door price is $16k, which is outside of my budget and what I'm willing to pay for used equipment without any warranty, but we could try to negotiate.
On top of that this equipment is located in Martinsburg Pennsylvania and I'm in Florida.

My questions to this community are:
  • Should I hold off on buying the used equipment
  • Is there anyone close to where the used equipment is located and give us a hand by doing a preliminary inspection.
  • I also have been looking for used deere and kubota equivalent but the ones with in our budget are pretty old or lack some features. Should I consider those brands instead?
  • Any help/assistance is more than welcome

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #2  
You're looking at the wrong animal. Here is a listing for a 2016 Max 26XL with only 43 hours on it for $16,700! And it's in Maraianna, FL! Check out the tires, the little rubber "****" aren't even worn off! --> https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/28503241/2016-mahindra-max-26xl

I believe this is a repo tractor because of the seller but it looks barely used. Doesn't look like it comes with mid-pto or mid-mount mower but this setup goes for about $23,000 brand new. Seems mid-mount mowers go for around $2500, you'd have to check with a dealer for the mid-pto if it is not on this tractor.

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #3  
You're looking at the wrong animal. Here is a listing for a 2016 Max 26XL with only 43 hours on it for $16,700! And it's in Maraianna, FL! Check out the tires, the little rubber "****" aren't even worn off! --> https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/28503241/2016-mahindra-max-26xl

I believe this is a repo tractor because of the seller but it looks barely used. Doesn't look like it comes with mid-pto or mid-mount mower but this setup goes for about $23,000 brand new. Seems mid-mount mowers go for around $2500, you'd have to check with a dealer for the mid-pto if it is not on this tractor.

I paid $16.7 for a brand new 2018 Max 26XL with 5 attachments. No MMM.

General comments to the OP on your tasks. Trenching/digging on 1 and 1/2 acres is likely to be a one-time task, perhaps better rented considering that a BH attachment costs at least $7k. Mowing 1 and 1/2 acres is (to us country folks) a pretty small area to mow, so a cheap riding mower can do it. However, maintaining driveways and loading/unloading pallets are ongoing tasks where a tractor really shines. As for tilling, is this a garden area? Could you be more specific about how this land is used?

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #4  
   / Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL
I paid $16.7 for a brand new 2018 Max 26XL with 5 attachments. No MMM.

General comments to the OP on your tasks. Trenching/digging on 1 and 1/2 acres is likely to be a one-time task, perhaps better rented considering that a BH attachment costs at least $7k. Mowing 1 and 1/2 acres is (to us country folks) a pretty small area to mow, so a cheap riding mower can do it. However, maintaining driveways and loading/unloading pallets are ongoing tasks where a tractor really shines. As for tilling, is this a garden area? Could you be more specific about how this land is used?

The tilling will be for personal use.
A portion will be for a personal garden.
And the another big area to re-condition the soil to plant new grass.
I also have multiple plants with thorns "Bougainvillea" that have grown out of control and need trimming but will like to use a grapple to take care of the debris. I already took care of one by hand and it was an unpleasant task, no amount of regular protection will prevent your hands from taking some damage unless you are extra careful.

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #6  
The grapple will set you back about $1500+, and then it needs to be stored when you are not using it. With the minimal acreage you have, it may be more cost effective to farm out clearing those thorns and then address new growth when it is manageable.

Do not want to be a "dream crusher", but maintaining 1 1/2 acres should not require much.

Edited to add:
BTW, I bought a used tractor with a 60" MMM and decided not to use the mower. I have about 1 1/2 acres of grass I mow with about 2 dozen trees in the lawn area. I found the 48" rider mower was a better option for me until I can find a ZT at a good price. Taking the MMM on and off is a pain and it does not have a grass catching system...something I use in the fall and spring to address leaves. My tractor is about 2000 lbs and will mark up my lawn even running turfs.

I maintain a drive over 200 yards long with a York rake and back blade that came with the machine. Looking at getting a box blade but finding it hard to justify in my case. Before buying a box blade, do some reading up as many here suggest a hydraulic top link makes it work much better.

The pallet forks are a great addition...you will use them a lot. Mine are bolt on but a proper set will be even more useful.

Instead of buying a ballast box, I got a carry all at TSC ($150) and built a platform that fits like a pallet on the carry all. It has storage for tools. chain saw, chains, etc and I used lead as ballast. It adds about 600 lbs of ballast and it is easy to adjust the weight. I also use the carry all to move pallets as I can carry a heavier load with the 3PT than the FEL.

One cheap and useful addition is bolt on chain hooks for your FEL.

This is what I use for pulling up brush and small trees. Very effective and inexpensive.

Brush Grubber, Model# BG-1 | Northern Tool + Equipment

I have 20 acres in a very remote area. Primary use of my tractor is to assist in getting firewood up, putting in food plots and general site maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #7  
Here are some tractor listings on eBay, near Zip Code 32746:
Tractors for sale | eBay

For the small combined area you desire to finish mow, do you need an expensive, proprietary-to-a-single-tractor-brand MMM, which will have to be removed when 3" to 4" net ground clearance is insufficient for other tasks? Removing/replacing a MMM is NOT an easy job for anyone with a back problem.
VIDEOS: How to REMOVE AND INSTALL KUBOTA BX SERIES mower deck - YouTube
Comparing Finish Mowers (midmount VS 3-point) - Kubota B261 - YouTube

If you are planning on a roto-tiller, why do you need a ballast box? Roto-tillers are one of the most common implements carried on the Three Point Hitch as FEL counterbalance.

For preparing a kitchen garden a $300 Middlebuster should serve. You will need a Middlebuster sized specifically for subcompact tractors. Two brands: Dirt Dog and King Cutter. Middlebuster and minor spade work may accomplish your trenching need.
VIDEOS: middlebuster in garden - YouTube
MIDDLEBUSTER TRENCHING - YouTube

Another option is a three (3) tine, spring-protected Field Cultivator for garden prep and for dragging debris. Dirt Dog builds compact tractor implements in Georgia.
3-Point All Purpose Chisel Plows

A third garden option is a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment. Photo #5 - #7. Ratchet Rake will grade your two drives easily.
Ratchet Rake will pile and pull/transport Bouganvilliea trimmings moderate distances.
VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

I recommend against a grapple on a subcompact tractor. The thin front axle is a weak point and a grapple puts more weight there. Also, grapple loads reduce tractor stability.

Attachments

• DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 112
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
   / Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #8  
The tilling will be for personal use.
A portion will be for a personal garden.
And the another big area to re-condition the soil to plant new grass.
I also have multiple plants with thorns "Bougainvillea" that have grown out of control and need trimming but will like to use a grapple to take care of the debris. I already took care of one by hand and it was an unpleasant task, no amount of regular protection will prevent your hands from taking some damage unless you are extra careful.

Does sound like a lot of your tasks are one-time jobs, i.e., once the ground is reconditioned, bougainvillea gone, trenches dug, your ongoing tasks will be mowing, maintaining driveways, and tilling a garden. Not sure if the pallet work will be ongoing or temporary while you're doing the work.

I hear ya on the bougainvillea....beautiful but devilish stuff. The thorns will pierce anything short of metal armor and then ache like the dickens, and you spend a week digging out all the little infected thorn-tips.... I would hire this out in a heartbeat and let others suffer. :)

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #9  
I recommend against a grapple on a subcompact tractor. The thin front axle is a weak point and a grapple puts more weight there. Also, grapple loads reduce tractor stability.

Please tell me why a grapple holding a tree is any different than a loader full of dirt or modified in putting stress on the front axle. The manufacturer specs a weight limit that the tractor/loader can handle and that weight will not break the front axle as you are specifying. Also, the only stability issues would mostly be side to side if the OP or a tractor user goes all crazy with a long tree section that is extremely heavy and they are driving the tractor on sloped ground causing the tractor to tip sideways. Otherwise, no big deal as long as proper ballast is put in the rear to assist with counterbalancing the loader weight (like a backhoe - hey, what a great idea). EA makes a grapple for subcompacts that only weighs 209 lbs and would work fine with a Max 26XL or 28XL.
Best Rated 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple from Everything Attachments <-- EA grapple
Mahindra #tractor max26 with grapple. - YouTube <-- Max 26XL with grapple video

OP, the bigger issue with a grapple is you will need to get a 3rd function setup installed to operate the grapple and that will add to your total cost. You said in your 1st post that you had run all the angles and decided you wanted to buy and not rent or hire. You only have 1.5 acres to take care of so most of the posters on this board will caution you that some of your attachments desired are overkill. It is your money that you are spending so you will have to keep a close eye on whether it makes economical sense to get some of the attachments you want and if you will get enough work out of them to justify the expense.

Also, I think there are a lot of opportunities for used machines in your area or within 1-4 hours of you (depending on how far south you are in Florida) - trying to get a used machine such as the one you mentioned that is 13-17 hours away is counter-productive and if there is an issue with the tractor you discover upon seeing it and running it you will either get there and realize you wasted a lot of time and gas and hotel money, etc and made a trip for nothing or feel obligated to buy a machine that you know is going to give you problems right away or in the future. Not a good situation to put yourself in. The only reason to travel any distance is to get a new or almost new (40ish hours or less) machine where you are getting a great deal on price and don't need to worry about the condition of the tractor of if it was maintenanced properly or at all since it is less than 50 hours on the machine. hth.

/ Used Tractor Purchase: Mahindra Max 28 XL #10  
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help and opinion on the following.
I was able to some/what convince our Finance Committee on purchasing a Sub-Compact or Small Compact tractor.

We own a 1/2 acre and another 1 acre which is family owned.
Here are the task involved:
  • Mowing
  • Removing bushes and small trees
  • Digging
  • Trenching
  • Load transportation (in pallets)
  • Tilling
  • Maintaining two drive ways, 60 meters combined
  • Other fun stuff..Tasks

I already went through the analysis and exercise of owning vs hiring vs renting, decided to own.
Equipment specs, attachments an implements:
  • 25-29 hp
  • Small Compact or Sub-Compact (1500 to 2000 pounds)
  • FEL
  • Backhoe with thumb
  • Mid Mount Mower (preferable)
  • Pallet Forks
  • Small Tiller
  • Ballast Box
  • Quick Hitch Adapter
  • Grapple

I already tried and check the following brands and dealers within 1 hr drive
  • Kubota
  • John Deere
  • TYM
  • Mahindra
  • Kioti
  • New Holland
  • LS

I have a really close Kubota dealer and father and son Kioti which is not too far that I really like.
My initial budget was to put $10 - $15k down and finance the rest.
I was undecided between the Kubota B2601 and Kioti CK2510 until we had the need to purchase a new truck.

At this point we don't want to take another loan.

Then decided to hold off until next spring or until latter next year and do all the work by hand.
My back was not in agreement with that statement and after an intense weekend of heavy work decided to firmly complaint every time I'm digging with my shovel or moving dirt with my wheel-barrel...To tell you the truth I'm also tire of using the push mower and cutting branches and bushes with a machete and moving them by hand. I want my new toy now.

Here are my options:

1- Try to take it easy and continue to do all the manual work as body and time permits.
2- Buy used
3- Hire some crew to take care of the immediate needs. We already tried this and is not working, they already have done some damage and we are not happy with the delivered results so far.

Yesterday, while searching for used equipment, found a listing for a Mahindra Max 28 XL TBL + MMM with 300+ hrs, called them and the minimum out the door price is $16k, which is outside of my budget and what I'm willing to pay for used equipment without any warranty, but we could try to negotiate.
On top of that this equipment is located in Martinsburg Pennsylvania and I'm in Florida.

My questions to this community are:
  • Should I hold off on buying the used equipment
  • Is there anyone close to where the used equipment is located and give us a hand by doing a preliminary inspection.
  • I also have been looking for used deere and kubota equivalent but the ones with in our budget are pretty old or lack some features. Should I consider those brands instead?
  • Any help/assistance is more than welcome

As jeff9366 suggests: A "Ratchet Rake" is probably the perfect tool for your Bougainvilla/bush removal problem. Cost..about $300