Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe?

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #1  

ChiefBodie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500Y
I have an older home with lots of various piping. Galvanized, copper, pvc, etc.

My upstairs sink is barely draining. Below the sink it starts as galvanized drain pipe into the wall, as I can see under the sink. Somewhere along the way it becomes ABS plastic which is in the subfloor area of the first floor. Not sure where it makes the transition. Then it goes on to a septic tank.

How risky is it to run a motorized metal snake (type for cleaning out sewer lines) with a small head on it down the line? I have not done this before and am a bit worried if I hit a plastic elbow or joint it could be a disaster. I did try a hand snake (about 6 ft long) and it didn't do anything to improve the drainage.

Does anyone have experience with this?

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #2  
In all seriousness, have you tried a plunger on it yet? I ask, because in the past three months I've done several hundred slow draining sinks with just a small hand plunger. 99% of them cleared. Had to turn it over to the plumbers on about 4 of them.

I find that if you remove the stopper, plug the overflow hole, then start plunging, once you get the plunger to stick down, YANK IT BACK UP HARD. It's that backward POP that sucks out the blockage. Sometimes it takes 15-20 pops, and all kinds of black gooey crud chunks will come back out on several tries, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I've done several hundred in the last three months this way.

C995EC52-5BA5-44EC-9C6F-A8DD3AC3DF28.jpeg

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #3  
The snake is fine with the ABS pipe. If the snake were to cause damage it would be in the old rusted galvanized pipe.

I’d start with a regular bulb head or drop head. Neither of those are likely to damage anything.

I’m going to edit this:

A motorized snake with a large cable (75-100#)designed for mainlines won’t work for a 1 1/2” - 2” drain. The cable, with no head, won’t make those tight bends. If it’s a motorized snake designed for interior use (25-50#) you will be fine.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #4  
Isn't there a P-trap under the sink? If so, just take it apart and you'll probably find the blockage (and it will be disgusting). If not, there are hand crank type snakes that should work.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe?
I took the P-trap off. Then used the hand snake into the galvanized pipe. Didn't get to any restriction that I could tell, and didn't improve drainage. And it is a 75 ft snake designed for exterior sewer lines. But with a fairly small head (non-cutting).

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #6  
What type of sink? Kitchen, bathroom etc

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #7  
In all seriousness, have you tried a plunger on it yet? I ask, because in the past three months I've done several hundred slow draining sinks with just a small hand plunger. 99% of them cleared. Had to turn it over to the plumbers on about 4 of them.

I find that if you remove the stopper, plug the overflow hole, then start plunging, once you get the plunger to stick down, YANK IT BACK UP HARD. It's that backward POP that sucks out the blockage. Sometimes it takes 15-20 pops, and all kinds of black gooey crud chunks will come back out on several tries, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I've done several hundred in the last three months this way.

View attachment 569391
Just curious do you manage apartments or something? That's alot of plugged drains.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe?
It's a bathroom vanity sink.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #9  

View attachment 569391

The above method works awesome on toilets too. Instead of trying to force the blockage through just work on breaking it up instead.

Had a young lady decide to plug the toilet at the local restaurant with paper towel. All I did was just work the plunger up and down to break up the paper towel. It worked awesome.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #10  
It's a bathroom vanity sink.

If the toilet and shower are still flowing fine (and I’m thinking they are based on the story) I’m guessing the clog is in the pop up assembly. It’s a common place for this to happen and an easy fix. Let me guess- someone with long hair uses the sink?