Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #1  

Clubduck

Tractor
John Deere 310J
Hi Folks:
There was a post somewhere on here that was throwing out there a comment about using powdered concrete over newly laid gravel to keep it in place. But, it took me so long to register here, now I can't find it! Any way, my dad always used powdered gypsum over his gravel then sprayed water over it, and let dry. It held 90% of the gravel in it's place. However, it has to be redone ever several years it seemed. But, if you don't have a huge project, there is now some polymer sand 'glue', for lack of a better description, and it last basically forever. I didn't put the brand name down, as I don't know if that is acceptable here, but it is applied the same as the gypsum, you sprinkle it as evenly as you can get it, and then using the 'spray' setting on your hose nozzle, just spray it until it all seeps in between the gravel. Let dry totally before walking on it and such, and it will hold just like glue.

I have used this on big river rock, small smooth rock, and rough lava type rock, and it works well on all. But, it can get pricey if you have a big project, but it is worth it!
Have fun!

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #2  
Have you ever tried recycled asphalt?

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #3  
Here in north central Texas, we use what is called CTB, concrete treated base, in some applications. works very well as it gets very hard and solid before laying asphalt or can be used as is for a good driveway.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #4  
Doesn't work well in northern climates due to frost heaving.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #5  
True, but the OP doesn't state his location.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #6  
crushed lime works very well for this purpose.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #7  
And yes, you can use brand names. Bad form to bash specific dealers, but positive comments on them are allowed.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #9  
Have you ever tried recycled asphalt?
Ya, got some for free for from a neighbor for a RV pad. It was really dirty, lots of fabric & tar ropes in it. Never packed in well at all. Not as bad as pea gravel, but not good. I hear you can spray diesel on it to get the tar to reactivate & pack in. I just put a truck load of class 6 granite roadbase over the asphalt to finally get it to pack in nice (also needed more material).

County put some on our dirt road a few years back. It packed tight in some spots. Enough the grader couldn't work it. But the other half fell apart & the grader couldn't work it because of the solid parts. They didn't try any more recycled asphalt after that small test.

Recycled asphalt, recycled concrete & class 6 granite road base are all about the same price around here. I recommend class 6 to all my customers.

My driveway is recycled concrete. Packs in pretty good & I got a deal on it. If you didnt know better you could mistake it for light grey roadbase. But I'm still finding bits of metal & plastic showing up 5+ years later after rain or regrading. It's better than recycled asphalt by a good bit, but not as good as class 6 by a bit. Class 6 packs in super good. I'd consider more recycled concrete if I got a deal on it, but recycled asphalt would have to be pretty much free or very clean & high quality. If I had to pay going rate for a load I'd get Class 6.

/ Using concrete powder to hold gravel in place #10  
Oh, and various regions call Class 6, 3/4ab or 3/4 minus or other things. It's generally the same stuff. 3/4" gravel along with fines (sand) to pack the bigger rock in place.