Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #11  
Yes it does, the oil should be CJ4 or CK4 rated. Generally, diesel engines have different oil property requirements compared to gasoline engines (stronger detergent, zinc additives, ect.), and the appropriate oil should be used.
Thanks. I figured as much. Asked a guy with a aged Duramax what he used, Delo or? I guess its eaten regular motor oil all its life. At least when he did the oil changes which I assume to be 90% of the time.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #12  
Guy with the Duramax is dumb and lucky if he's been using gas engine oil in a diesel engine. Proper oil costs the about the same money.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #13  
I can't think of any reason or gain in using the wrong oil in any engine. Only trouble. As a note, Menards here had six gallons of 15W45 T6.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #14  
Delo makes a diesel engine oil, and has for years. The guy with the Duramax may not be as dumb as some think he is.
David from jax

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #15  
I have a Kubota 900 RTV with the three cylinder diesel engine in it. It's time for an oil change and I just happen to have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 even though Kubota recommends 10w-30. Would this difference in weight hurt anything? Also the Pennzoil container does not say anything about using it in a diesel engine. Would I be safe using this oil in the Kubota 900 RTV? Thanks. RRM
Not a good idea the additive packages differ for diesel applications, different additives and certifications, stick with a hdeo a oil specified for diesel applications

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #16  
Not a good idea the additive packages differ for diesel applications, different additives and certifications, stick with a hdeo a oil specified for diesel applications
True fact. Gasoline Engines have catalytic converters and diesels (some of them) have DPF's. And some of the additives don't play well with them..

Just run the correct oil.

Story: Back in the early 90's the EPA decided, unilaterally, to remove the additive ZDDP (Zinc-based) from motor oils. Catalytic Converters and Zinc don't get along. At all. (EPA and API work hand-in-hand.) ZDDP was, and still is, necessary for cars running flat-tappet camshafts. Sort of. Not so much anymore but.... 'nother story.

Anyhoo, they didn't tell anybody except the refiners. Even the Racing Teams sponsored by people like Mobil, Shell, etc didn't get told. Remember all the cars that were blowing engines for that one year in NASCAR? '94, maybe?

NASCAR ran Flat-Tappet camshafts back then. Probably still do. Don't know. Lost interest in Dinosaur racing. But that's why.

I run a synthetic in everything. Because I know how the EPA thinks. MPG means everything to them. Your engine blows? Oh well, sucks to be you. When they came out with their new Diesel Oil rating (CK-4?), Ford flipped out. They said, correctly, that it was junk. That it was too thin and that they wouldn't warranty engines that used it. I guess they had a meeting of the minds or something but it's calmed down since then.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #17  
No problem. It will work until it doesn’t. BOOM!

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #18  
I use M1 0w30 European rated diesel and rated for DPFs. Same for Castrol 5w30 I used in the VW TDI for 7 years and used in tractor and generator driver until switching to M1.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #19  
While the API (American Petroleum Institute) "Starburst" and "Shield" say "Certified for Gasoline Engines", to keep it confusing, the API "donut" uses "S" for spark and "C" for compression after the "API Service" in the top half of the outer ring.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #20  
I use M1 0w30 European rated diesel and rated for DPFs. Same for Castrol 5w30 I used in the VW TDI for 7 years and used in tractor and generator driver until switching to M1.
Overhead Cam Engines of today use chains to run the camshafts. And they require cam chain tensioners. Hydraulic. Run by your oil pump.

When your OHC engine fires, that thing needs oil -- NOW! Right now. I mean, right freaking now. In cold climates, higher viscosity oils can be slow to move and that's why there is a '0' weight oil.

Not really a problem for pushrod diesels, which is 95% of them. Except for some European cars. Many Euro Diesels are OHC. For OHC Engines, not using it can be deadly. Some auto companies will flat-out deny your warranty for not using it.

Using 0w-xx weight oil doesn't do any real harm to your pushrod diesel. Probably. I just run a good 5w-40 Syn and head on down the road.