UTV: Diesel or Gasoline?

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #1  

Poopdeck Pappy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE Cab, Kubota BX23, Kubota BX2660, Grasshopper 729BT
I've never had a UTV before, and I've decided it's time for a side-by-side. It would be strictly for work (not joy riding) on my small farm. I am strongly leaning towards a Kubota RTV, but I'm wondering whether a diesel is a wise choice for me.

I live on 16 acres and my uses will likely be short runs down to the pasture and back, checking on cattle, driving the fence lines or driving down to the woods to get firewood, etc. I.e., uses where the motor may not have a chance to get fully up to operating temperature. I'm not sure if a gasoline UTV would be better for that type of use.

I have to assume that a lot of people use their diesel UTVs this way, but I've always tried to avoid starting and stopping my diesel tractors without giving them a chance to get up to operating temperature and run for a while.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #2  
I like diesel side by sides mainly because I feel like you get a higher quality engine...like a Kubota or Yanmar.
I will probably change the oil a little more often if it turns out that I’m making allot of short runs. So far that hasn’t been the case.
An electric unit would be king for short runs...no heat or AC though:cool2:

Last edited:
   / UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #3  
The diesel units are loud, heavy, and slow. The Kubota RTVs are definitely built for work if that’s what you want. I vote that this isn’t a good application for diesel. That doesn’t seem like very hard work either. That’s probably similar to what I do with my Mule 600. It’s convenient to ride around in but for anything that resembles real work I’m going to use my dump truck, tractor, or backhoe. The hardest thing mine does is pull my wood splitter.

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #4  
I own a RTV1140 diesel which I've owned for 8 years. I let it idle for two or three minutes before taking off and tell my Grands and wife to do the same. Grand has been driving it since he was 6 and his brother is now 6 and drives it. It is a workhorse when needed. Grand decided he needed a dirt bike or 4 wheeler and I fear for his safety with either since he has the "Need for speed" gene. I also find pieces of wood around made into ramps for his pedal bikes. I chose a new RTV500 gas engine, roll bars and seat belts machine. Yep, two Kubota RTVs. A working diesel (RTV1140 Has two rows of seating or larger dump bed)and a smaller sport about that still isn't fast. They both require short warm up since both have hydro transmissions. Grands (Also a 13 year old twin granddaughter) love both Kubota RTVs and still drive them both. The new one stays in the garage and doesn't work, the RTV1140 lives outside and works and has since I bought it. Have never used either for extended running. Short runs to pick up grands a bus stop, pick up mail, across the road garden, burn trash to burn pile.
If your going to go for serious heavy work hauling, pulling, dragging (RTV500 has 440lbs bed weight capacity) then go for RTV900 or up. I've hauled 1000lbs of gravel and dirt in RTV1140, pulled my L3901 out of a ditch and pulled a 16' dual axle trailer with a few hundred lbs of wood on it around and up and down my property yesterday. Diesel work and gas play or light pulling/hauling/towing.:2cents:

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #5  
I have had my RTV900 since 2009. When I bought it, it had 68 hours on it and now over 650. It has been used mostly for short runs, never more than 5 minutes to anywhere on the farm. I use it mostly for taxi service from my house to the shop, around the house hauling limbs, rocks etc. It is stop and go all the time and never has it had a problem other than the original Optima battery failed at around 2 years old. I replaced it with a NAPA battery that is now 6+ years old and still going strong. I would never trade it for a gasoline engine UTV.

My diesel never gets stale like gasoline will which is the main reason for a diesel in todays world of gasohol, that and I think a diesel engine will last much longer.

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline?
. . . That doesn’t seem like very hard work either. . . .

It's probably not. The hardest work a UTV would do on my property is hauling brush and logs to the burn pile, hauling fencing materials, mulch and dirt, moving rocks to the rock pile, and hauling various trash to be disposed of (I find rocks, bricks, rebar, t-posts, pipes wire, old plastic jugs, etc. every time I drive around in the pasture).

But there will be times I just want to drive down to the lower pasture and check on the cows, or drive through the woods and pick up fallen branches or gather firewood - easy work for a vehicle.

I own a RTV1140 diesel which I've owned for 8 years. . . .

I chose a new RTV500 gas engine, roll bars and seat belts machine. Yep, two Kubota RTVs. . . .

John, you bought two UTV and chose Kubotas both times?!?! I'm shocked! ;)

Thanks for your thoughts, and I think I agree with your conclusion. My typical use would be work, but probably light work most of the time. But I'd rather buy more than I need than vice versa . . . for those times when I do really need some power.

I have had my RTV900 since 2009. When I bought it, it had 68 hours on it and now over 650. It has been used mostly for short runs, never more than 5 minutes to anywhere on the farm. I use it mostly for taxi service from my house to the shop, around the house hauling limbs, rocks etc. It is stop and go all the time and never has it had a problem other than the original Optima battery failed at around 2 years old. I replaced it with a NAPA battery that is now 6+ years old and still going strong. I would never trade it for a gasoline engine UTV.

My diesel never gets stale like gasoline will which is the main reason for a diesel in todays world of gasohol, that and I think a diesel engine will last much longer.

Gary, thanks for your thoughts. Your use sounds similar to what I would use one for, and I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems resulting from it.

I'm a big believer in Kubota diesels - I've got two of them now. And I really want a diesel UTV just for the durability and reliability - oh, and to avoid using the crap gasoline we have today. I don't give a hoot about speed. My place is too rough to go very fast anyway.

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #9  
I bought a used Bobcat 3400D a couple of years ago- wanted diesel mostly for fuel commonality with my other equipment. Don’t load it up a bunch so the engine really doesn’t get worked very hard-as a result I change oil every year ( probably put no more than 25 running hours per year on it).

When I buy again it will likely be the Kubota as I really don’t like the CVT (particularly the crappy clutch Polaris sourced in these).

/ UTV: Diesel or Gasoline? #10  
Look at the specs, the diesel engine option could reduce carrying capacities. I bought a used 4x4 gasoline carryall, I was looking for a diesel but I got such a great price I couldn't pass this one up. Power wise it has easily handled everything I wanted to do so purchasing a diesel should be based on other reasons than performance. The difference in cost could easily buy another gas engine if you ever wear it out.

I agree with GSVette about the CVT, sometimes it works great and other times it is real jerky when starting out. Probably tear it apart one day to see how these things work.