UTV Licensing

/ UTV Licensing #1  

MessickFarmEqu

How many people have to licence their UTV's?

We just where told that we need to license our dealership, each salesperson, register each unit with the state, and now title them.

Kubota is saying this specificly about the RTV, but I don't know what makes it so special that it requires this. We have sold and continue to sell other Utility vehicles and have never been told to do this before. Has anyone else gone though this process? I thought part of the reason many of these are speed limited to 25mph is so that they do not have to be classified as an ATV.

/ UTV Licensing #2  
PA was running a little short on regulations and revenues..?

/ UTV Licensing
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( PA was running a little short on regulations and revenues..? )</font>

Thats the first thing that came to my mind. They nickle and dime you on every step of the process.

/ UTV Licensing #4  
In arkansas atv's are registered and issued a sticker . the sticker doesnt last long on the machine but they say your supposed to have one. they are titled and even taxed on your property tax.
I would think that utv's would be seen as the same as an atv. my honda foreman is in my opinion a utility vehicle it works alot more than it plays.( well i guess my work is more play cause i have fun at it)
i would also think they limited the speed for liability reasons.

But i am in agreement about the nickel and dime opinion.

/ UTV Licensing #5  
It's hard to believe that some other state besides Massachusetts has come up with a new way to squeeze a few more dollars out of it's citizens.

The main reason I bought a RTV900 is for the 1,000 feet of plowing I have after each snow storm. I had looked into the option of getting a used truck/plow but when I checked with the Mass RMV I was informed that even if I never took the vehicle off my property I was still required to have it registered. And in Massachusetts having it registered means you have to have it insured, you have to have the yearly emissions/safety checks and you have to pay the annual excise tax.

If PA is now requiring ATV/RTV to be licensed/titled then MA can't be far behind.

/ UTV Licensing #6  
In most states you only have to license them if they are going to be used off of your property. If you are going to be using it for farm use only or only on your property they do not have to be licensed.

I've heard the 25 mph thing before and have been told by numerous people that doesn't mean anything. Polaris has had their UTV that goes 45 for four or five years now and it was still classified as a UTV.

/ UTV Licensing
1. Dealership must obtain license to sell RTV's - $65.00
2. Each dealership sales person that sells RTV900's must obtain a licence - cost $25.00 3. Each dealer must register with the DCNR - cost $25.00 per year 4. All RTV900 vehicles which are for recreational use must be registered with the DCNR
- if used exclusively on land owned or leased by the owner - Limited Registration - no fee
- all other recreational use vehicles - General Registration- $20.00
- units for business or agricultural use do not need to be registered 5. All units (regardless of use) financed with KCC must be titled showing KCC as lien holder - cost $22.50
- when for agricultural or business use do not fill out box F on form 1741
- no sales tax will be due if excemption requirement is met.
6. All "recreational use" RTV900 vehicles (even if not financed) must be titled 7. Units for business or agricultural use which are not financed with KCC do not need to be titled

/ UTV Licensing #9  
The MA regulation on registration on private property is "if the general public is invited onto the property it must be registered". An example of this would be a shopping center parking lot. If you use it on your own property to service your own property and it never is driven on the road, then it isn't required to be registered. I know of a person that was doing some piling of snow on a shopping center parking lot that was ticketed for not having the tractor registered and insured. The judge found him guilty despite his pleas that it was on private property and that the owner had hired him to do the work. State laws vary, but in MA, a parking lot is the same as driving on the street. You can be ticketed for anything from drunk driving to speeding and all in between.
I believe that the licensing requirement for UTV is because they want the taxes, title & registration fees, and sales tax. It isn't fair to me that you can buy a $30,000 tractor and not pay sales tax on it if you are a farmer, but if you purchase a $30,000 truck to haul for a living, you have to pay sales tax on it. Both are in business. I know, that many will say that the farmer has a hard enough time today making ends meet, but too many farmers today are big corporations taking advantage of rules that were intended for family farms. For these reasons, there should be no exemptions..

/ UTV Licensing #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It isn't fair to me that you can buy a $30,000 tractor and not pay sales tax on it if you are a farmer, but if you purchase a $30,000 truck to haul for a living, you have to pay sales tax on it. Both are in business. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifI used to get a kick out of listening to my brother, who was a Matco Tool Distributor who had to buy his truck and equipment, pay the taxes, and get no help from the government, argue that point with a full time farmer/neighbor, who of course did not have to pay the taxes, and who did get government subsidies, when we were all three officers in the same volunteer fire department. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

However, I probably shouldn't post this because I'm afraid we're getting into politics and we both may get moderated (and probably need to be). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif