UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #31  
^ you are looking at it all wrong!
At one point I had 4 kidney stones.
Now I have none!
The bumping is therapeutic
;)
My experience with kidney stones is they only hurt when they are "coming out".
My DR. said many people have "silent" kidney stones that never give any pain.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #32  
have you checked out the mule pro fxt le you can go from a 6 seater to a 3 seater in minutes wich macke your body huge for hauling stuff have 7500 miles on mine and love it

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #33  
Textron Prowler Pro XT. Now called Arctic Cat Prowler Pro, also known as Tracker 800. Caterpillar has a job site version too.
Designed by Textron and Caterpillar after Textron bought Arctic Cat. Arctic Cat had no part in the original design.
Have had mine for 2 years now with zero issues. I use it often around the property with about 500 miles on it now.
Most quiet, smoothest UTV of all that i tested. (Can Am, Polaris, Deere and Kubota) Fits a full size skid in the back, easy in and out, easy dumping bed, easy servicing.
Uses actual 1/2 hard doors and no nets. Full bench seat fits (3) 220lb adults.
Has hard cab options but the accessories are pretty pricey I think.
I would definitely give it a look. Prices were quite a bit less than the others listed above at that time but not sure where they are at now.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #34  
There is no comparison in the ride and handling between the Jeep and Defender - the Defender is simply so much better. The Samurai rides worse than the Jeep! So - if a decent ride matters to you this is a consideration.

That’s good info.. I rode in a big Polaris that floated at speed over some rutted up logging roads.. I was impressed by that..

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #35  
I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a UTV but I'm having a hard time taking the plunge, particularly because the price is hard swallow for what your getting in a lot of cases. I doubt I'll buy new, as I don't think I can come in under $25k for what I want and I refuse to spend more than that.

I don't have any particular jobs I intend to put it to work on, just want a general little utility vehicle on the property that I'll also use for recreation. I'm right on the trail network that links to lots of friends/family and I see myself doing lots of that. I'll probably put tracks on in the winter.

I've also decided that I don't really want one unless I get a hard cab with glass windshield and heater. That somewhat limits the options and pretty much keeps me more or less in the utility side of things. I was originally looking at the Honda Pioneer and Yamaha Wolverine 4-5 seaters so I had room for the family, but I don't think those machines are well suited to a full cab (without losing the bed). I do NOT want a long wheelbase (crew) machine. I figured I'll just end up getting the kids a RZR 170 or something so they can tag along from time to time. A large bed like a Ranger or Kubota would be great, but I think I could live with a smaller one like on a Pioneer or Wolverine.

I have a lot of miles in a Kubota RTV X1100C at work, and I absolutely love the cab, ice cold air/hot heat and the solid, tractor-like build. They are SO slow though and not a huge fan of the HST. I might be able to live with one, but with the amount of road/trail running I might want to do, I don't think it's the best solution. Are any of the other RTVs somewhat comparable as far as the cab and solid build, but with a more road friendly engine/tranny?

I'm also looking at Polaris Rangers but my biggest worry with them is reliability, especially if I buy used. I have considered a smaller Ranger (570) as I think they are less prone to tranny problems like the bigger Rangers (and are a lot cheaper to buy new), but I'm worried about power with tracks. The accessories and aftermarket seems huge for the Rangers.

I love most things Honda puts it's name on and I was sure I would go with a Pioneer at one point, but I've heard they are very loud and I don't think the cabs are integrated all that well.

I just started looking at Wolverines from Yamaha. which seem like the cabs are a little better than the Hondas. I don't know how refined they are with a cab on. I'm a big fan of Yamaha too, and might even consider an older Rhino and save some $...

A Can-Am Defender or Commander might be an option, but finding a used one with a cab and heat (especially a Commander) is not easy and new is exorbitant.

The other option I'm considering is a Japanese mini-truck. I really like the looks of the little deckvans and many come with air and they are MUCH cheaper than a SxS/UTV. Not easy to find a ready to buy solution though (in Canada).

Anyway, just looking for general thoughts and insights.
I know that UTVs are attractive options, but for the money, function, and overall value, you are WAY better off getting an older 4X4 small pickup (like an old ranger.) For less than $3K, you can have a 4 wheel drive, heated (and poss A/C) fully enclosed cab truck that is STREET LEGAL! Beyond that, parts availability are WAY better and cheaper for a 10 year old truck than a 5 year old UTV. Again, the fact that it can be street legal means that you can drive it to pick up stuff at the local store.
I am analyst by trade, and a self confessed tool/equipment junkie. I have multiple tractors and other 'toys', UH, I mean 'Tools.' But there is not an argument in the world that I can find to justify the cost of the UTVs. 3 to 4 times MORE expensive for an open cab, with limited parts availability that you can never legally drive on the street. Just my 2 cents worth.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #36  
I know that UTVs are attractive options, but for the money, function, and overall value, you are WAY better off getting an older 4X4 small pickup (like an old ranger.) For less than $3K, you can have a 4 wheel drive, heated (and poss A/C) fully enclosed cab truck that is STREET LEGAL! Beyond that, parts availability are WAY better and cheaper for a 10 year old truck than a 5 year old UTV. Again, the fact that it can be street legal means that you can drive it to pick up stuff at the local store.
I am analyst by trade, and a self confessed tool/equipment junkie. I have multiple tractors and other 'toys', UH, I mean 'Tools.' But there is not an argument in the world that I can find to justify the cost of the UTVs. 3 to 4 times MORE expensive for an open cab, with limited parts availability that you can never legally drive on the street. Just my 2 cents worth.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #37  
What about a Mahindra Roxor. They are not street legal, and they are about the size of a UTV.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #38  
I consider buying a new Kubota RTV 1100C one of the worst purchases I have ever made. I could have bought two used Jeeps and had money left over. I don't hate my RTV but it was a terrible purchase.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #39  
^ sorry to hear
I had the luck of a close neighbor owning one so I could use at will to see if it would fit in.

I think they are ideal for property maintenance especially where there is a mix of paved, dirt and maintained pasture/trail (and you can buy though a company to offset cost!)
I see them running around at all the hospitals I work at.

my back 40 is rough, the neighbor sold. Upgraded his garden tractor, added a quad/plow/trailer and a RV for family.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #40  
I've had a Ranger, Gator, Pioneer, and now own a Mule Pro FXT. All have their pros and cons.

If you want a full cab and plan to do trail riding I would stick with either the Ranger or a CanAm Defender. They have the best cab systems imo. Gator and Kubota have good cabs as well but they're not as trail worthy as the Ranger or Defenders are.