Snow V snow plow.

/ V snow plow. #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I was thinking about the Ventrac thread and the mention of a V snow plow. The present snow plow tends to push the PT to the side. I have never tried a V snow plow. What are the pros and cons? It it worth making one for the PT?

/ V snow plow. #2  
THe advantage of a v-plow is that in heavy snows/ice, the sideways forces are equal which prevents the problem you mention for the first pass. After that, you basically have a regular plow. So it can be a big plus if your plow and vehicle are large enough to plow in one pass. I will let you know this winter if I think it is worth it when they are not. It never plows worse than a regular plow because you can always use it as a regular plow.

Ken

/ V snow plow. #3  
I was thinking about the Ventrac thread and the mention of a V snow plow. The present snow plow tends to push the PT to the side. I have never tried a V snow plow. What are the pros and cons? It it worth making one for the PT?

Bob,
I have an old 7' truck plow that I have often thought about slicing in half and making into a V plow for the PT. Not one that folds with hydraulics, but one that is fixed permanently in a V for busting drifts. With the quick attach so easy on the PT, it would be a cinch to open the garage door, charge down the drive and the road with the big V, then switch back to the straight plow or bucket to knock back the sides.

/ V snow plow. #4  
Bob,
I have an old 7' truck plow that I have often thought about slicing in half and making into a V plow for the PT. Not one that folds with hydraulics, but one that is fixed permanently in a V for busting drifts. With the quick attach so easy on the PT, it would be a cinch to open the garage door, charge down the drive and the road with the big V, then switch back to the straight plow or bucket to knock back the sides.

As Ken says, you shouldn't need to switch your blade. I assume you would just use one of the sides of your V plow.

/ V snow plow. #5  
what would be a good ''included angle'' of the v on a snowplow for the pt, have kicked around the idea of making a v plow for the 425, but instead of cutting the original blade in half getting 12 ga. plate bent, then welding it to the original blade (44'' cub cadet blade) to avoid redoing the geometry on the mount on the blade

/ V snow plow. #6  
In a few weeks, i can send pictures. Possibly as soon as after Thanksgiving. Need to clear a few things and projects out of the way so i can get to it.

Ken

/ V snow plow. #8  
Let's not get crazy!!! I can walk through most of it if i try hard enough.

I do have to get rid of some stuff. Sucks to have no place to work and have to climb all over everything. Got a 4 x 8 welding table with a 1" top real cheap but it is just too big for my space. Trying to decide if i want to cut it down or sell it and buy a smaller one. 3 x 6 or 2 x 6 would make more sense. There is a 2 x 6 for sale but they want 50% more than what i paid for the 4 x 8. Either that or move the welding space to the other corner but that is a large distance to run that size electric. With the 4 x 8, i have to get the PT out of the shop in order to do anything. I would put the table in the old barn but the shop has the crane which is nice for moving stuff I am working on.

No such thing as a shop that is too big except for the cost of building it and taxes.

Ken

/ V snow plow. #9  
Let's not get crazy!!! I can walk through most of it if i try hard enough.

I do have to get rid of some stuff. Sucks to have no place to work and have to climb all over everything. Got a 4 x 8 welding table with a 1" top real cheap but it is just too big for my space. Trying to decide if i want to cut it down or sell it and buy a smaller one. 3 x 6 or 2 x 6 would make more sense. There is a 2 x 6 for sale but they want 50% more than what i paid for the 4 x 8. Either that or move the welding space to the other corner but that is a large distance to run that size electric. With the 4 x 8, i have to get the PT out of the shop in order to do anything. I would put the table in the old barn but the shop has the crane which is nice for moving stuff I am working on.

No such thing as a shop that is too big except for the cost of building it and taxes.

Ken

Oh you poor soul...having to deal with the terrible burden of that welding table.

Tell ya what. I'll store it and test it for you at no charge. All you have to do is cover the cost of shipping it to me. PM me for shipping info. It's the least I can do. Really - if I could do less, I would.

(I've wanted to use that line for quite some time) ;)

/ V snow plow. #10  
As Ken says, you shouldn't need to switch your blade. I assume you would just use one of the sides of your V plow.
I don't think I could stack snow with a fixed V like I can with the straight one.