V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
Had been pulling cedars for an hour, the last 5 minutes on a slope with the right front low. Moved to a level area and the rpm's dropped like it was running out of fuel, turned it off, knew there was about four gallons in the tank.

Opened the hood, checked for water in the fuel filter, just red diesel came out. Tried to squeeze the primer, no give, it was solid.

PA290002c.jpg

Removed the hose at the lift pump, squeezed as hard as I could and this is what came out.

P1230012.JPG

Removed the hose from the tank at the primer and got red diesel. Cut a piece of fuel line to bypass the primer, primed it by wrapping a rag around a short hose and blowing into the tank at the filler. Started it and drove it to the shop.

Can I just flush the primer or should it be replaced?

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #2  
I would replace it. Primer bulb isn't expensive, that stuff might not clean out of the check valve.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #3  
OH, yuck - - that mess has the look of tadpoles. You can take the primer bulb apart - clean the bulb & the check valves and reassemble. You can easily check all three components, visually, and see that you got them clean. You might want to drain the last few gallons out of the fuel tank to be sure none of the crud is in there also.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #4  
Is your fuel tank plastic or steel ? We have had problems with plastic tanks and algae forming in them . Or is that the inside of the primer bulb ?

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer.
Is your fuel tank plastic or steel ? We have had problems with plastic tanks and algae forming in them . Or is that the inside of the primer bulb ?

I think the fuel tank is steel. The "stuff" came out of the primer bulb that was not allowing any fuel to go through.

I have used it twice since, it is running fine with the bypass hose.

Have been using diesel equipment with off road diesel for twenty years, never had a fuel related problem, never used any additives. Up until three years ago, 99% of it was bought at the local Co-op.

For the last three years I have bought 90 gallons at a time, at a Shell Station that has off road. I use this 100 gallon aluminum saddle tank on a skid, to keep it in.

P7090001.JPG

Guess I should check the 4 other diesels that use fuel from the same tank.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #6  
If the other equipment has the same sludge, the fuel tank may need a filter at the hose connection.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #7  
I think the fuel tank is steel. The "stuff" came out of the primer bulb that was not allowing any fuel to go through.

I have used it twice since, it is running fine with the bypass hose.

Have been using diesel equipment with off road diesel for twenty years, never had a fuel related problem, never used any additives. Up until three years ago, 99% of it was bought at the local Co-op.

For the last three years I have bought 90 gallons at a time, at a Shell Station that has off road. I use this 100 gallon aluminum saddle tank on a skid, to keep it in.

View attachment 408482

Guess I should check the 4 other diesels that use fuel from the same tank.

Looking at your pic up close, I don't see a fuel filter on your transfer tank. If you don't have one, I recommend you get one ASAP. Older diesel in the tank can separate, grow organisms, etc. Napa and Tractor Supply sell a water/dirt block filter. You may need to run a powered transfer pump but it's worth it over gravity feed without a filter.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #8  
   / V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #9  
I just noticed this post and thought I would add my personal experiences. I have been battling fuel issues with my B Series Toolcats (3) for the last several years and believe I have finally found resolution.

Part of the problem is that MY TC’s are parked during the summer and the fact that the fuel tanks are black plastic is not helping. During the summer (with full tanks) the black plastic heats up and condensates adding water to the fuel. So much so that typically within 3 or 4 hours of running the units (first storm) start to lose power and RPM’s. The only way to recover is to replace the fuel filters which typically only have a few hours on them. I have more fuel filters in my shop than the dealer has on his shelves.

At the end of each season I top off all tanks, add fuel additives (including algae treatment) and no matter what I do I end up with water in my fuel. Interestingly enough this is not happening to my other equipment but they do not have plastic fuel tanks, and the tanks are not in direct sunlight.

After soliciting help from the Service Manager at my dealership we have devised a plan to make life a little easier. At the end of this season I plan on cutting the fuel line just after the fuel tank and before the hand bulb where I will be installing a drain in the line. This way with the TC sitting (and the water settling/pooling at the bottom of the tank) unmoved opening the drain will allow me to siphon off the water from the bottom of the tank.

FWIW, the algae treatment is a must if your equipment is sitting like mine. Otherwise you will have the same stuff pictured in post #1 in your filters.

/ V417 Versahandler Quit Running. Look what came out of the primer. #10  
The last time I saw a primer bulb like that was on an outboard motor. Is that OEM?

I only had algie issues once years ago on my JD 770. Steel tank, in front of instrument panel. What a mess! Had to clean out lines, filter, pressure wash tank and so forth. Algie can't grow without water. Water can't form if tanks are full. But I'm sure that some additives can help remove small amounts of water. I believe that once algie is in there it has to be eliminated completely otherwise it may grow again.