V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #151  
hello everyone! new here and have some questions about the versahandlers, before i purchase one.

new v517(yes, i may have found one) or slightly used(100-300 hrs) v519? i know one gentleman has had both on here.

there was a question on this thread about floating the boom...what was the conclusion? i will be mowing with this machine(about 20 acres-all food plots and fire breaks).

has anyone run a chipper off the front? i have been using a wallenstein.

did armydoc ever pull his disc with his new v519? what was the conclusion.

my first attachments will be soil conditioner, grapple, forks, bucket.

thanks for everyone's contribution over the years that has really helped me out

this forum has been great! im ditching the tractor. im no farmer joe, or farmer brown, but i do grow pine trees, oaks, pears, chestnutts and others along the base of the piedmont in ga.

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler
hello everyone! new here and have some questions about the versahandlers, before i purchase one.

new v517(yes, i may have found one) or slightly used(100-300 hrs) v519? i know one gentleman has had both on here.

---------------------------------------------------

.:welcome: to TractorByNet! :thumbsup:

There was no 517. Is it a V417 or a V518?

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #153  

there was a question on this thread about floating the boom...what was the conclusion? i will be mowing with this machine(about 20 acres-all food plots and fire breaks).

has anyone run a chipper off the front? i have been using a wallenstein.

did armydoc ever pull his disc with his new v519? what was the conclusion.

my first attachments will be soil conditioner, grapple, forks, bucket.

thanks for everyone's contribution over the years that has really helped me out

this forum has been great! im ditching the tractor. im no farmer joe, or farmer brown, but i do grow pine trees, oaks, pears, chestnutts and others along the base of the piedmont in ga.

As I understand it, the floating boom is an option on the v519. Mine did not come with it. I thought it did and the salesman told me it did. (It has the button to engage it float, but it doesn't work on mine. I heard it was an option (standard?) on a later version of the v519. My v519 does not have a limited slip differential, which makes it less than ideal for pulling. If one wheel slips and starts spinning, you have no traction. Not often a problem, as you can always use the bucket and boom to get you out of a jam, but for pulling a harrow, it could be an issue. That said, it is rated to tow 5,000 pounds I believe. In anycase, I have not used it for harrowing, but I don't think it would have any trouble with a light harrow (6 or 7ft). One issue would be running the hydraulic lines all the way to the take off up front.
What I have done when I needed wanted a harrow, has been to tip the teeth of the bucket down, and just push. I maintained all the fire breaks around our ~200 acre property just using just the front end bucket this way, not a problem. (the had been broken before with dozer, this was just maintenance.)

My most used attachment is the bucket. Second most is my 7ft heavy bush-hog. I've taken down 6+ inch pines and sweetgums with it as well as used it to cut my pastures. It is awesome. My next most used implement is my post-hole agar. The final most used item is a heavy garden cart, about 3ft x 5ft that I hitch to the back. Great for hauling water, tools, generator etc to where I want to go.
The last implement I'm glad I have, is a 3-point hitch that attaches to the quick attach, that includes a PTO. I use that to run my spreader and my sprayer, so the 3 point hitch was a pretty good investment. I could buy a sprayer or a spreader for the quick attach, but either one would have cost more than the little 3point hitch with PTO. You can't push a harrow with it though (don't know why I thought it might be possible, but it isn't... you can just take my word on that and not ask me how I know. :D )

I don't have a grapple, but I kind of wish I did. I bought a tree puller, with a grapple bar that can be used as a grapple. I rarely use it to pull trees. Anything it can pull, I can cut with the bush-hog faster. It works very well for posts, but so does a chain wrapped around the post to the bucket. I have used the tree puller far more as a grapple more than I have as a puller, and in retrospect, I would have been better off buying a real grapple instead of the tree puller.

I don't have a soil conditioner. I did buy a land plane to maintain the driveway. The land-plane was a waste of money. I get almost as good a result just using the bucket, which is always on the machine anyhow.

My v519 is an awesome machine. It isn't perfect, but I think it would be if it had a limited slip diff and a float option for the boom. I can rig a floating quick attach with about 6 inches of play, so I can overcome the boom problem. The lack of LSD hasn't been a problem, but then I haven't tried to pull anything heavy in the mud with it either.

ArmyDoc

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #154  
first of all, thanks for the reply(ies)...i mistyped v517 instead of v417(ole' Arther-itis has his way w/ me more often now). i am a smidge worried about the size V519> V417. my trees are planted at 10ft between rows, 6ft apart. i really like the idea of this machine being so nimble, and wonder if the size discrepancy would even be an issue.

As I understand it, the floating boom is an option on the v519. Mine did not come with it. I thought it did and the salesman told me it did. (It has the button to engage it float, but it doesn't work on mine. I heard it was an option (standard?) on a later version of the v519.
thats a little scary the salesman wouldnt know that, though the ones ive talked to arent nearly as knowledgable as the folks on this forum...thanks for the heads up-ill make sure salesman confirms before shipping

One issue would be running the hydraulic lines all the way to the take off up front.somewhere on this thread, or maybe another one, someone mentioned the machine is set up for rear hydraulics. is that a no go?

Second most is my 7ft heavy bush-hog can you tell me which one you are using?

The last implement I'm glad I have, is a 3-point hitch that attaches to the quick attach, that includes a PTO. I use that to run my spreader and my sprayer, so the 3 point hitch was a pretty good investment where did you find your 3pt hitch?

I can rig a floating quick attach with about 6 inches of play, do you have any pics?

thanks again! Army doc, we're in the same neighborhood(im in talbot and harris counties), and also an army doc-61R, retired

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #155  
Telehandlers aren't big sellers... I had to tell him about it. Unfortunately, I didn't know (nor did he) that it didn't come with float on some versions. I would definitely tell him you want it. I think you could rig rear hydraulics, but mine didn't come that way. Ask and get them to commit before you buy it. Supposedly you can upgrade after purchase, but once the sale is done, they aren't very motivated. I can't get them to give me solid price estimates (probably because they have never done one and have no idea how long it would take to do...)

My bushhog is an MTL XC7 78" wide, true 72" cut. MTL XC7 Direct Drive Cutters - multiple sizes/blades available — MTL Attachments

Cant remember who I bought the 3point from - but they are pretty common. Titan has one, Skid Steer to PTO Adapter. I think mine was a little less than that. I'll try to find out where I got it.

Vernig makes a brush cutter with a floating deck... It should be possible to rig up a similar coupler. Once I get my shop built I'm going to work on it. Virnig Rotary Brush Cutters Floating Deck Series

As for size, the v519 is big, but it's only 7 feet wide. If you have enough space to get lined up, it can move down a 10ft alley without any problem, but also without a lot of wiggle room, and that boom does make it hard to see the right side.

If you are headed out Augusta way, give me a heads up. I work mon-thurs, but I'd be happy to show it to you one weekend.

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #156  
well, im a gnats rearend away from getting a used v417, vs a Case TR340 vs bobcat 740 track steer. what ive found out is i really dont need high flow to run the implements i want to use, so i think 22 gpm will be fine. xfaxman, if you could opine how difficult it was to set up the front and rear cameras. thanks!

Last edited:
   / V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #158  
thanks xfaxman! my 417 should be here in a couple of weeks. thanks for the info on the v417 thread also. im sure ill have more questions.

You're welcome. Post any questions on the V417 thread.

Please post pictures of it there also.

/ V519 / TL519 Compact Telehandler #160  
hey ArmyDoc, talked to the MTL guy, he said your XC7, or XCT, mower wont work on a telehander-bec as the machine performs tasks(moving, boom, etc) it takes away from the auxillary. But, you've had a good experience- i dont get it. have you continued to enjoy yours? hes got me down to a 56" mower/50" cut, which he will have to modify to get it to work. do you know if he had to modify your mower to work with your 519? mine is a 417(22gpm), arrives today. i dont know if a 50" cut mower would work well since the 417 measures 72 in. wide. thanks!