Value of a 12k trailer?

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #11  
I am assuming bumper pull since you didn't specify. 2 3/8 probably means 2 5/8" so could be either gooseneck or bumper pull. Is it a deckover, or are fenders outside the deck? As mentioned, pictures are definitely worth posting to give us a better idea of just what you are considering purchasing. Condition of the brakes, the lights with wiring and wood deck are all very important when it comes to determining value. You said "tires look good with plenty of tread" but i would look further into that. What is the weight rating, are they enough for max capacity and then some or are they just enough to keep rims off the ground? Age of tires is HUGE, and is easily determined by the DOT stamped number on each tire. 6 years is the established lifespan of a tire. An extra heavy duty tire will last much past that without issues, but one used at its capacity will die sooner. All these things are critical to assessing the value of a trailer.
A wood deck 6 to 8 years old might look fine, but as i am learning, it is expensive to redo the wood on one, and if was stored outside, expect issues from that.
Who built the trailer also has value due to their reputation. A name brand trailer compared to one that i built will have different values. Look at the craftmanship in the build, make sure you know what you are buying!
David from jax

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #12  
2-5/16 trailer ball most common....

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #15  
If the trailer presents well and doesn't need any maintenance right now (including having good tires), it might be closer to $4k here in Michigan. I'm planning to buy a new trailer within the next couple years because the used ones are barely any discount, and generally beat to ****. Not worth it (but good for you, if you're selling).

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #16  
Pull the brake hubs off any trailer you’re looking at buying and check the condition. It’ll cost $4-500 to replace the brakes on 7k axels and a 10k is quite a bit more.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #17  
Hope you don稚 mind me asking, what痴 a good ballpark value of a 12k trailer? It痴 2,200 empty, two 7k axles (8 lug), 80 wide, 18 long (16 w/ 2 beaver tail). Ramps are stored under the rear, has drop down stands, no dents, all electric brakes, & tires looks good & plenty of tread. 2 3/8 cast iron adjustable ball head.

Thanks,

We need more information.

Brand and year of trailer, trailer deck material, brakes on both axles or one, tire age is more important than tread (trailer tires get torn up or rot long before most wear the tread out), etc.

Having it derated will help or hurt, depending on the buyer. I already have a CDL and would never buy a derated trailer. Others may need a derated trailer and be willing to pay more-luck of finding the right buyer.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #18  
We need more information.

Brand and year of trailer, trailer deck material, brakes on both axles or one, tire age is more important than tread (trailer tires get torn up or rot long before most wear the tread out), etc.

Having it derated will help or hurt, depending on the buyer. I already have a CDL and would never buy a derated trailer. Others may need a derated trailer and be willing to pay more-luck of finding the right buyer.

12k isn’t really de rated. It’s a pretty realistic load for 14k trailer.

Last edited:
   / Value of a 12k trailer?
IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

Got the pics. I didn’t make it clear earlier that this is my trailer.

The tires are from 2007 :-( I bought it 4 years ago locally to transport my tractor around and various stuff. I do know that before I bought it, I drove the trailer on one set of blocks to check for wheel play and spin and all 4 were solid & spun very smooth for quite a while. Brakes are on both axles and I can lock them up with the variable controller at full stop. I probably put 400 miles on it since then. It mostly sat on the RV pad that’s shaded with trees in the south so the sun really haven’t shined on the tires.

Lights were upgraded to LED’s. Oh and yes, it’s a 2 5/16” ball hitch. My mistake.

Just considering selling it because it doesn’t get much use.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #20  
12k isn稚 really de rated. It痴 a pretty realist load for 14k trailer.

The 12K isn't the load rating, it's the total weight of all cargo AND the trailer itself. Yes, a 14K GVWR trailer might have a payload capacity around 12K (usually a bit less).

In the pics he posted, it isn't de-rated, it's got tandem 6K axles on a 12K GVWR trailer, not the 7K axles he initially posted. Every flatbed equipment trailer you buy, today, will have a GVWR the sum of the axles combined, or more (to allow for some tongue weight), unless it has been de-rated. A 12K GVWR on a trailer with 14K of axles would be de-rated, usually so people can pull them commercially with 14K trucks and stay under 26K, which is where CDL is required. Some people order de-rated trucks, to accomplish the same thing with trailers they already have or want to keep the full rating on.