Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions
Thanks everyone! We are leaning toward the gas engine option at this point. Had not thought about the seat, arm rests and foot pedal options. All of that makes very good sense so they are now added to the "wish list".

To clarify the comment on our wooded areas - most are very flat bottom land and we don't plan to do much mowing except for maybe some walking trails once we get them cut in. I remember reading a post about trees and the articulating tractor - not something we want to experience! Will go back and read thru it again so we are sure we operate safely. (that's the first priority for the two of us)

Thanks again - your feedback and experience are greatly appreciated!!

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #12  
The tree between the wheel is kind of a joke to me. With articulated equipment you can move sideways using the hydraulics to pick it up and articulate it out of ditches and away from obstacles . The Hydraulic power of the Ventrac is limited but it is enough to get you out of trouble most of the time. Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #13  
The tree between the wheel is kind of a joke to me. With articulated equipment you can move sideways using the hydraulics to pick it up and articulate it out of ditches and away from obstacles . The Hydraulic power of the Ventrac is limited but it is enough to get you out of trouble most of the time...... ftm

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #14  
The tree between the wheel is kind of a joke to me. With articulated equipment you can move sideways using the hydraulics to pick it up and articulate it out of ditches and away from obstacles . The Hydraulic power of the Ventrac is limited but it is enough to get you out of trouble most of the time...... Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #15  
A problem with power poles too.

Attachments

• IMG_0696 copy.jpg
    IMG_0696 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
   / Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #16  
A problem with power poles too.

My wife did the exact same thing with a fence post on a hillside. Kept articulating against gravity until it was literally "wrapped around a pole".

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #17  
you have to lift it off the ground when you articulate away, then set it down and articulate the other way ..... Jim

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #18  
Twice I have been so trapped. Once on an utility pole and again on a guy wire. Both times on enough slope where trying to use the hydraulic lift and steering to pivot away would not work since gravity's pull downhill exceeded any traction the mower could provide to push away. I just hooked my traditional tractor to it and scooted it out of the jams.

prs

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #19  
Twice I have been so trapped. Once on an utility pole and again on a guy wire. Both times on enough slope where trying to use the hydraulic lift and steering to pivot away would not work since gravity's pull downhill exceeded any traction the mower could provide to push away. I just hooked my traditional tractor to it and scooted it out of the jams.

prs

Thank God for multiple Tractors!!

/ Ventrac 4500 Engine Opinions #20  
Yeah....

So when my wife wrapped it around the corner post of a newly installed high tension fence, the machine only had 5 hours on it. I was too paranoid to pull the machine laterally (only because I have terrible luck and figured I would end up damaging the unit somehow someway). So....I cut the corner post off with a chainsaw and drove the Ventrac off. Eh, $15 corner post and an hour of work later, everything was back to normal.

I chalked it up to a great $15 lesson to learn - don't articulate against gravity and a tight spot.