Ventrac Center Pivot

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #11  
One new upper center pivot assy is about $100. Labor not included. The part amounts to a 3 point hitch ball end welded to a mounting plate. Grease fittings are on both the upper center pivot and both ends of the dogbone bottom bar. Majority of the hours on my unit are from using an aera-vator with the seedbox attachment.

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #12  
the older ones didn't have fittings..... jim

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #13  
Mine has always been well greased, but the fore/aft play has been there for a year or two and getting some worse. It has about 700 hours. By virtue of the difficulty in even getting a wrench onto those nts, it seems to be a difficult repair. Myabe Toybarn can share some pointers or something obvuious I have missed.

prs

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #14  
is the play in the top or the bar at the bottom, or both...... jim

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #15  
Jim, I am thinking the play is in both; but I am a one man show here and I can not watch the dog bone or center pivot while grasping the roll bar and forcing the rocking motion. Next time my son visits I will seek his assistance while I observe. These joints take a lot of pressure during work and I think a high moly percentage grease would be better and typical multi-purpose types -- the stuff used on loader pins should be good. But, once worn, they will wear more regardless the grease formulae.

Do you see a good way to get a wrench or impact socket on them? The service chart give a spec for checking the torque, but I have not since I see no way to get on them. The OP of this thread says he had to use heat to loosen, are they thread locked?

prs

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #16  
Jim, I am thinking the play is in both; but I am a one man show here and I can not watch the dog bone or center pivot while grasping the roll bar and forcing the rocking motion. Next time my son visits I will seek his assistance while I observe. These joints take a lot of pressure during work and I think a high moly percentage grease would be better and typical multi-purpose types -- the stuff used on loader pins should be good. But, once worn, they will wear more regardless the grease formulae.

Do you see a good way to get a wrench or impact socket on them? The service chart give a spec for checking the torque, but I have not since I see no way to get on them. The OP of this thread says he had to use heat to loosen, are they thread locked?

prs

Same here I'm on my own, top one is easier to see just remove the plate under the steering wheel near the bottom and where you can see the top bearing that has the large nut, then raise and lower the mower deck a little and see if there is any movement, if not, it's in the bottom bar...... jim

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #17  
Thanks. I should have figured that out after Toybarn mentioned the mounting plate thing.

prs

/ Ventrac Center Pivot
Anyone know what the torque is on the top pivot point and dogbone bolts? Thanks

/ Ventrac Center Pivot #19  
150 foot pounds. The owner's manual is downloadable and has that spec. If you do this check, take photos of how you gained access with the wrench.

prs