Vertical exhaust install.

/ Vertical exhaust install. #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
If anyone is interested in installing the JD vertical exhaust kit on their 3000 or 4000 series tractors I just did it on my 3520. I can email you pics if you send me your email address.(have not figured out how to post pics on forum yet) Its an easy install-less than 30 minutes.
pros: gets exhaust away from blowing dust on ground.
gets exhaust up out of breathing space when unloading bucket by hand.
some people like the looks of the vertical stack.
cons: have to cut hole in the hood.
slight visability loss.
added cost of the kit.
have to lift off upper pipe before opening hood.
visual looks not as clean

/ Vertical exhaust install. #2  
I tend to prefer the nonvertical stack. I have a 5300 JD and the stack with wind blows exhaust in your face or tends to blow on the loader arms making them black. I like the exhaust low and not in my face. The problem wouldn't be bad if the exhaust stack was above the level of my head like on larger ag tractors. The CUT exhausts are head high.

Last edited:
   / Vertical exhaust install. #3  
Dirtworks:

About how much did it cost. I am considering it but I have two concerns, one is the cost and two would be durability. I have a fair # of low branches on my proerty and don't want to bend the c--p out of it the first time I try to get too close to one.

BILL

/ Vertical exhaust install. #4  
My vertical on my 3120 was $168.00 and $7.00 for freight. Would like to see some picture of your JD 3520.megatowline@yahoo.com

matthew3120

Attachments

• 4_th_july_beach_emily_art_primary_act_003.jpg
    4_th_july_beach_emily_art_primary_act_003.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 709
   / Vertical exhaust install. #5  
Matthew3120:

I'll probably post some pics as I do my hour meter/instrument cluster replacement (see "What Happened to My Hour Meter" elsewhere on the board). Unfortunately it's not as clean as yours (I've been working it pretty hard lately!) but I'll post them anyway.

BILL

/ Vertical exhaust install. #6  
As sent to me from Jim: Here is his install and mod.
----------------------------------------------------

If you like the looks of the vertical exhaust it is a real simple install.The reasons I opted for it is because:1) the stock exhaust blows on the ground creating a lot of dust. 2) when you are getting anything out or into the bucket by hand and the tractor is running you are breathing the exhaust fumes.
I'm not sure that I like the visual appearance of the exhaust, but the other two gains outweigh that. Installation instructions are provided with the kit.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Open hood to remove the stock exhaust. Use a 13MM socket and ratchet with an extension to remove the 2 nuts on the u-bolt clamp on where the stock exhaust pipe attaches to the muffler. Then remove the two nuts from

2) Use a ratchet with 10MM socket and a 10MM wrench to remove the bolt and nut from the lower bracket on the stock exhaust pipe.
exhaust1.jpg

3) After all bolts are removed,grasp the stock exhaust and twist it side to side working it off the muffler pipe.
exhaust2.jpg

4) Use the 13MM socket to remove the two nuts on the heat guard. Place the new 90 on the muffler and replace the bolts and nuts through the heat guard into the 90 bracket. Replace nuts and tighten

5) Locate the correct cutout on the inside of the hood. Marked 3X20 for 3000 series tractors or 4X20 for 4000 series.
exhaust3.jpg

6) To cut out the hole in the hood you will need a 3-5/8th inch hole saw. I put the pilot bit into the hole saw so that it extended about 3/8ths of an inch beyond the saw. That way I could center the saw in the cut out circle to mark the center. After I got the center marked I extended the pilot bit out longer so that I could see that it was on the mark I previously made.

7) The hood is a black plastic material that cuts real nice. Cut out the hood keeping the saw flush with the hood as you make the cut. Don't worry about the hole being ragged. The plastic cuts nice. Also I made my cut from the inside. I was worried about the paint, but it cut nice from the inside also.
exhaust4.jpg

8) Install the rubber into the hole you just cut in the hood. When I went to do this I thought it wasn't right. Just work it all the way around into the hole and it fits fine.

exhaust5.jpg

9) Slip the new exhaust pipe through the hole in the hood and your done.

exhaust6.jpg

It took me longer to write this postl than it took to do the install. That's how easy it is!

/ Vertical exhaust install. #7  
ACKBill said:
Matthew3120:

I'll probably post some pics as I do my hour meter/instrument cluster replacement (see "What Happened to My Hour Meter" elsewhere on the board). Unfortunately it's not as clean as yours (I've been working it pretty hard lately!) but I'll post them anyway.

BILL
That is a real awesome 3520 Cab tractor you have there.Very nice and nice work on the Vertical Exhaust kit.when did you get the tractorand how many hours on it.

Matthew3120

/ Vertical exhaust install.
I bought the 3520 on eBay from a guy in Illinois. It only had 7 hours on it. Long story........... It only has about 55 hours on it now. I have done several small jobs with it. Tilling, post augering, brush hogging and a little loader work. Seems like most of my time has been trying to get it setup the way I want it. I did put 4 inch Unverferth wheel extensions on the rear to give me a wider rear stance and more stability. I'm now working on getting a frame mounted front blade changed over to fit it.

/ Vertical exhaust install.
Thanks to BLOOMINGTON MIKE for posting pics of my vertical exhaust install.

/ Vertical exhaust install. #10  
I need to know more about the wheel extensions... I do love the vertical exhaust, I have it on my machine, although I point mine forward so it doesn't blacken my loader arms...