Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question

/ Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #1  

drjay9051

Gold Member
Morriston, Fl. 40 miles west of Ocala. More cows
Tractor
Kioti DK 40 HST
The hose to my Kioti FEl developed a leak. The hose is a 3/8 with 1/2 inch female ends. I ordered a replacement not knowing the ends were 1/2 inch from Summit hydraulics and ends on replacement are 3/8.of course the ends do not fit. I cannot find a 3/8 hose with 1/2 inch female fittings except the OEM replacement at abut $75 for a 24 in. hose. All aftermarkets seem to be same fitting size as hose size.

Is it O.K. to use a 1/2 inch hose which comes with 1/2 inch fittings or will cause serious pressure drop issues?

I suppose most importantly, what pressure rating should I look for in the hose? Tractor is only 40 H.P. 16 gal/min pump flow.

Aftermarket replacement is like $20 as opposed to $75 so this is a preferred route if no function issues.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #2  
The benefit of 3/8 hose compared with 1/2 hose is that the 3/8 is more flexible (ie - slightly tighter bend radius), and:

Pascal’s principle, which is also called Pascal’s law, and which is usually stated: Pressure applied to an enclosed fluid is transmitted undiminished to every portion of the fluid and the walls of the containing vessel.

Go with the 1/2.

Last edited:
   / Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #3  
Here you go. surplus center part # 931-2224 for about $12.00

/ Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #6  
The hose to my Kioti FEl developed a leak. The hose is a 3/8 with 1/2 inch female ends. I ordered a replacement not knowing the ends were 1/2 inch from Summit hydraulics and ends on replacement are 3/8.of course the ends do not fit. I cannot find a 3/8 hose with 1/2 inch female fittings except the OEM replacement at abut $75 for a 24 in. hose. All aftermarkets seem to be same fitting size as hose size.

Is it O.K. to use a 1/2 inch hose which comes with 1/2 inch fittings or will cause serious pressure drop issues?

I suppose most importantly, what pressure rating should I look for in the hose? Tractor is only 40 H.P. 16 gal/min pump flow.

Aftermarket replacement is like $20 as opposed to $75 so this is a preferred route if no function issues.

Thanks

You can use the 1/2 inch hose as long as you can get it to make smooth unstressed bends. The only advantage to 3/8 inch hose is flexibility. If anything, 1/2" will have very slightly less pressure drop, not more.

Don't accept hose with less than 5800 psi rating. Most open loop system like yours are controlled by the relief valve to run somewhere between 2500 and 3000 psi. The pump is capable of more, but the relief valve prevents overpressure.

You need the higher 5800 psi rating because sudden events like driving over a bump with a load in the FEL can cause a pressure spike of thousands of PSI. That's larger than the pump can put out and faster than the relief valve can actuate. So get the higher rated hose.

The hp and flow rate (gal/minute) don't change the basic pressure calculations.

You are good to go with 1/2" 5800 psi rated hose. But next time you might want to do what a lot of us do. Just take the old hose with the ends still on it down to the local hydraulic shop where they will make one up on the spot.
Instead of $75.00 OEM hose, or a $15.00 online using unknown hose & fittings, the local shop will most probably use all approved components and probably charge about $30/$35 for that hose.

BTW, everytime I replace a hose I have been putting some of that nylon sleeving on and fastening it with zip ties. It prevents some abrasion and sun damage. 1" diameter flat braid in a 25 foot roll costs about $30 from Amazon and fits over most of my hoses.
The local shop probably has some if you ask for it.
Luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #7  
ITs pretty common on ag and construction equipment to upsize the fittings one size over the hose. Because the fittings are a restriction.

I suspect they use the smaller hose because its cheaper and more flexible....and often times has a higher pressure rating than larger hose.

That said, the hose fittings that are one size bigger than the hose are usually quite a bit more expensive. Enough so that you can simply upsize the hose to match the fitting size and still get a cheaper hose.

No worry about flow or pressure drop or anything. The only real concern is if its in tight areas and the hose flexes alot, or if upsizing wont allow the hose to fit in the OEM clamps. Things like on backhoes and such. But I have never had an issue on a loader running a slightly larger hose

/ Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #8  
Or just get a 1/2" to 3/8" bushing and get it done.

/ Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question
Went to local hydraulic shop.
They took one look and 15 min later I was out the door with proper hose rated at 5500 psi.
Sometimes it makes sense to shop local

/ Very Basic Hydraulic Hose question #10  
Speaking of local hydraulic shops….they also make air hoses for shop compressors, etc.

my auto roll up 50 foot Chinese made air hose lasted about 3 years, and Home Depot had replacement rubber hose , chinese made, for around $40 As I recall.
I checked my local hyd shop and they made me one with high pressure USA rubber hose for nearly the same price. Been it shop for over 8-10 years now, still going strong.

Last edited: