Video Surveillance System

/ Video Surveillance System #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
After a little incident yesterday I have decided to install a Video Surveillance System with probably 4 cameras and DVR with 1TB hard drive. Any recommendations? I have been looking at Q-see and Night Owl online. Budget under $300

Thanks

/ Video Surveillance System #2  
After a bit of theft around my shop, I installed a Zmodo setup off Amazon. I think it was ~$150 with a 500MB hard drive. This appears to be the one...

I have three of the four cameras set up, with one recording all the time, and two recording outside business hours. It has a setting that allows it to record in "low res" which is actually just low frame rate until it sees motion. With these settings, it will hold about three weeks of video before over-writing.
The cameras work decently in the dark out to about 20' unless there's extra lighting. The resolution is not really great, but it'll do for my needs.

It took a bit of time to learn to use it, but nothing special. Oh, I can remote view from my phone too, and it can be set to send emails (texts?) if motion is detected on specific cameras during set times. It probably does more, but that's as much as I've messed with it.

If you're worried about security where you live, I also recommend a motion sensing alarm setup, with the sensors placed where people shouldn't be... I bought this one plus an extra sensor and it works well, and has great range on the sensors, and good battery life on them too. You can add door and window sensors as well, and perhaps some other stuff. I just use two motion sensors with it, programmed so one sets off a single repeating beep, and the other sets off four repeating beeps. (Leaves two more distinct alerts that I could add, and I think you can double them up too.) I have mine set so one beep is someone entering the drive, and four is someone coming down into the lower lot, where we live.

/ Video Surveillance System
I have been looking at those driveway alarms also to use in conjunction with the cameras.

/ Video Surveillance System #4  
Some DVR's have alarm inputs which can be used to trigger recording from an external alarm source. I have mine set up to move the PTZ cameras to a preset location when a motion alarm is detected.

/ Video Surveillance System #5  
Make sure you can get "event driven" recording. That way the camera only records when it sees motion. We have about 14 cameras in our office. Three of them cover rooms that someone should only entry very rarely (server room). So we would be recording dead air all the time. With event driven we can keep 90 days worth of recording with only a few TB of storage.

I cant get this one locally at Walmart for $235, thoughts?

WM-8HD1L-472-1

/ Video Surveillance System #7  
I cant get this one locally at Walmart for $235, thoughts?
My thought is that anything is better than nothing. If you are budget limited, you do what you can.

I went with the (similar) Q-SEE from Costco. The 60 foot camera leads shrink fast when routing to the controller... I can only view three sides of my home.

qsee.JPG

My goal was to view over the Internet, which works pretty well. I haven't ever set up motion detection or alerts.

You can always buy longer cables

/ Video Surveillance System #9  
It seems to have all the basic stuff for a homeowner system. Home Depot also sells that system.