Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
Today I was finishing up my front ditch clean out project in preparation for rocking it in. I was finish grading the ditch with my rear blade reversed to get a smooth surface when all of a sudden the engine RPM's increased and I had no 3PH or hydraulic top-link that I run off my 4th SCV.

Great, just great I had visions of getting the tractor to the dealer and big $$$$$ going with it. I checked my shop manual and according to the troubleshooting chart it was the rear hydraulic pump, the rockshaft control valve and the SCV. This didn't make sense at all as I couldn't picture all three expensive items puking at the same time, especially since the loader was still working.

Fortunately it was a simple matter of the hydraulic top-link cylinder brushed up against the Power Beyond quick coupler and disengaged the coupler just enough to prevent fluid flowing to the 4th/5th SCV and rockshaft control valve.

I'm not surprised since the 2" bore cylinder I got from Surplus Center (same as CCM's) is a tight fit between my hydraulic outlets on the back of the tractor. I think I'll look into getting a 1.5" bore cylinder and save the 2" one for a future project of some kind, or sell it.

Thank goodness it was nothing more than "Is it plugged in?" as I sure don't need the expense and headache of major hydraulic problems.

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #2  
The KISS principle at work again!

QD's are often the cause of many hydraulic problems, but are usaully the first thing that's overlooked when something goes wrong.

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #3  
I was down cleaning up a downed tree after storm damage.A stick came up and hit a quick disconnect coupler to my bucket dump cylinder.What are the chances?At first I thought I must have had a stick jamming the bucket, I reved the engine up to full and kept working the control.Hydraulic oil came gushing out the bottom of the control valve.Went back to the shop to try to figure out the problem.Seems I blew the seals and O-rings out on the shuttle pistons in the control valve.Who would have thought a stick could hit the Q.D. coupler in such a way as to cause it to disconnect?Cost me $65.00 for parts luckily I was able to R and R the valve myself...Moral of the story is if hydraulics fail,stop at once to find the cause......Hopes this helps someone in the future....Scotty

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #4  
Any idea why your relief did not come on? Do you know what the pressure setting is on the relief valve?

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #5  
The service dept at the dealership said in a case like that the weakest part of the system will fail,usually the o-rings and seals.I took it him on his word for this info.If there is a relief valve where would it be and how do you check it?I have a Kubota BX2230 purchased new in 04 it has 450 hrs on it.I run a F.E.L. M.M.M. Woods 48"brush hog.KK48" Roto Woods 48"box scraper.Thanks for your insight. Scotty

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #6  
A picture would be good,and it should be on the FEL valve. If not on the FEL , the pump should have one somewhere. Some valves have a fixed relief, and others adjustable.

This is a Prince stack valve. Just showing this valve as a reference.

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/SVManual.pdf

Look at page 9 or 10. It might look like a hex nut in the valve somewhere. It could be screw adjustable or shim adjustable, or a combination. I am mot saying you have this valve, but you should be able to identify all the parts on your valve.

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #7  
Where can you get 1.5" top link kits? I might be interested in your's if you want to part with it. I don't have pb.

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke
Where can you get 1.5" top link kits? I might be interested in your's if you want to part with it. I don't have pb.

Surplus Center has a 1.5" bore without the double-piloted-check-valve. This is the one I have and the one I'm thinking of replacing it with. The problem is finding a compact DPCV. The cylinders and valves that Surplus Center and CCM sells come from Italy.

In my Deere's case, the PB feeds the 4th & 5th SCV that I'm currently using to power the hydraulic top-link.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009091800261370&item=9-7682-11&catname=hydraulic

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009091800261370&item=9-7258-12&catname=hydraulic

/ Visions of $$$$$ going up in smoke #10  
I'm not surprised since the 2" bore cylinder I got from Surplus Center (same as CCM's) is a tight fit between my hydraulic outlets on the back of the tractor.

the ones (hydraulic outlets) on the back of my tractor are just held there by some stamped metal brackets. IE it would be much easyer/cheeper to mod the bracket than it would be to replace the whole cylinder.

Do you really need a DPCV?

many say you do. many run without them. Its kinda like the chevy/ford or green/blue/orange debates