vole/mole problem

/ vole/mole problem #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I have tunnels built all through my yard and worse MY WIFE'S GARDEN. I have sen them. They are about 2-3 inches long. Looked like mice without tails (at least I didn't see tails). The dont hang around long enough to check out. I do not want to poison them because I do not want my and neighborhood pets getting poisoned. I bought a mole trap before I saw them and realised how small they are. It is way too big. What do I need to do?

/ vole/mole problem #2  
We have the same problem. One of our dogs has killed a few of them, so I could not use poison either.

Attachments

• 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 381
   / vole/mole problem #3  
Do you have voles or moles? Voles are very small compared to moles. How about a picture of what the dogs have caught. We were overrun with moles, ruined the yard. We use a combination of the vibrator chasers and cheap pine-sol. Buy the pine-sol at the dollar store a case at a time. Poke their mound open and pour in a few ounces. We kept moving the vibrators outward as the mounds moved out. Only get one or two mounds a day now instead of 50.

Ron

/ vole/mole problem #4  
I got lucky, and when the voles started to come in my yard I had a patient cat that would wait until one got close and pounce. It always suprised me when he caught them because those voles are FAST! Just reread your post. Moles dig tunnels under the ground, and voles are surface animals with runs through the grass. You'll seldom see a mole, but if you look fast you may see the vole in his run.

Ken

/ vole/mole problem #5  
Sounds like moles,:groundhog: you have a grub problem, moles love grubs. My Jack Russell loves moles, kills them, but leaves large holes, all over yard.:eek:
My neighbor has a mole cannon, oxy/propane torch set up with a grill igniter and 12" round sheild at the end of long wand, 15 sec mix of oxy/propane and push button, BOOM,:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: The whole neihborhood shows up to watch,sheriff also.:confused3: He said to call next time so he could watch and explain to all the callers at dispatch what is going on.:confused2: This gets rid of them, but if you dont get rid of grubs, there freinds will move in. Anytime you disturd soil, garden, digging with tractor, etc the moles will show up for dinner.:licking:

/ vole/mole problem #6  
Also from Virginia and also have invasion of moles and voles. My voles use the mole burrows to hide from my cat. The moles here do like grubs, but 90 percent of their diet, according to the Extension office, is earthworms. So when you build a nice, compost-rich garden, you attract worms and, sometimes, moles. The moles never harm the garden too much unless they happen to go under a plant. Voles, however. will destroy small plants, particularly yams and the like. I've lost some to them this year already. I have tried some traditional things to get rid of the moles, with little success. The traps work, but are a lot of trouble finding a place to set them, and setting them just right. I've found that most mole tunnels are single use things. I smash them down and no voles or moles seem to come back. Out in the yard, I've started to run my John Deere with ag tires across the lawn aiming for the tunnels. We're pretty dry now, so it does little more but super crush the tunnels. I haven't seen any of them come back yet.

/ vole/mole problem #7  
Do you have voles or moles? Voles are very small compared to moles. How about a picture of what the dogs have caught. We were overrun with moles, ruined the yard. We use a combination of the vibrator chasers and cheap pine-sol. Buy the pine-sol at the dollar store a case at a time. Poke their mound open and pour in a few ounces. We kept moving the vibrators outward as the mounds moved out. Only get one or two mounds a day now instead of 50.

Ron

The moles she caught were about six to eight inches long. From the pictures I have seen I believe they were moles. She also caught a baby rabbit, which I hate to see.

/ vole/mole problem #8  

Ron

Do you have a picture of these vibrators?