Vortex Tube

/ Vortex Tube #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
When I was in college.... I took a variety of electives. One was an automotive (repair) class. I was already mechanically inclined and to be blunt, figured I'd know everything so it would be a fun class and an easy "A". (don't know if it was easy or not, but did get the 'A')

None the less...got exposed to several things, most of which I'd already done on my car. One thing that caught my attention was when the Prof pulled out (what I learned today is called) a "Vortex Tube".

I had a memory of him having this item, putting compressed air into it and it 'magically' creating either hot OR cold air (I now think it does both at same time but this is old memory)

I've never forgotten that. I wondered what it would be used for in the auto shop.... I'm guessing it would be good to test an old choke on a carb that had a bi-metallic strip so you could throw cold air at it, hot air at it and make sure it worked.

None the less... I don't know much else about them than what I've read,,,so will ask here.

What general other uses might you have for one of these? Is there any merit in having one tucked in your tool chest? I can't say I've ever been in a situation where I've thought "gee.....I sure wish I had a vortex tube right now" but, when you don't know of different ways you can use something, you don't always see the opportunity.

I had even gone so far as to think maybe I was making this memory up in my head and was wrong so I just did a search and my memory hasn't (yet) failed me.

/ Vortex Tube #2  
About 40 years ago I installed a couple in instrument cabinets that needed NOT to get contaminated air, so they needed to be sealed AND cooled - about the only thing I remember (sorta) is that they tended to be air hogs - I just googled your title, here's the result

For your purpose they might be useful. One of the google results is a how to build your own... Steve

/ Vortex Tube #3  
Used several of them in electrical enclosures in hazardous areas for purging and cooling.

/ Vortex Tube #4  
I use them for spot cooling in dry machining/grinding work. Typically on rubber to stiffen it up a bit and keep it stiff so it behaves while machining.

/ Vortex Tube #5  
They have limited application in certain (generally) non ferric machining processes where the various liquid coolant application forms have disadvantages.
The biggest issue with them is that air is a poor conductor of heat, so when you're trying to cool a process it takes a tremendous volume of cool air to actually take down the temperature of the process. In addition, they are CFM hogs definitely requiring an industrial level compressor and in use they are often very loud to the point of needing hearing protection.
For most applications, either flood coolant or minimum volume spitting type liquid coolant will perform far better.

For non-machining applications in a home shop a simple fan, a fridge or freezer, or a $10 import heat gun are often better alternatives

Last edited:
   / Vortex Tube #6  
We use a ton of them at my work. I have installed a hand full personally. They use a ton of air but when you have 4 x 700hp air compressor, who cares

I have a camera enclosure that gets to 500* on the outside but a vortex cooler keeps a ip camera alive inside it

/ Vortex Tube #7  
In my former life as a Mac Tools distributor(1988-1996),we sold them as a "choke tester".
Worked well!

/ Vortex Tube #8  
In my former life as a Mac Tools distributor(1988-1996),we sold them as a "choke tester".
Worked well!
Boy that takes me back. Right.. back when the carburetor choke plate was actuated by a rod running up from a bi-metallic coil spring that sat inside the heat riser on the exhaust manifold. Those of you who have no idea what I'm describing are lucky to be so young.

Last edited:
   / Vortex Tube
Boy that takes me back. Right.. back when the carburetor choke plate was actuated by a rod running up from a bi-metallic coil spring that sat inside the heat riser on the exhaust manifold. Those of you who have no idea what I'm describing are lucky to be so young.
Ya old fart! (just don't go back and re-read my first post please)

;)

/ Vortex Tube #10  
I have what I think is called a Vortec dryer on my air compressor that is suppose to remove water. I don’t know if it somehow uses the same principle?