Wal-Mart meat!

/ Wal-Mart meat! #11  
When it comes to meat I always buy at local supermarkets.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #12  
Gary, I guess I'm lazy, but we buy our ground beef at Walmart because it's one pound or 2.25 pounds so we don't have to repackage it to freeze it; just vacuum seal it with the FoodSaver machine and put it in the freezer. We buy ribeyes at Sam's Club, then vacuum seal them individually to go into the freezer. As for the hamburger, I prefer the low, or super low, fat, but won't pay much more for it; 85/15 is OK with us.

And like you, we shop mostly at Walmart and Sam's Club, but occasionally at one of the 3 Kroger's in this area, and even more rarely at the one Brookshire's in the area. I don't buy it very often, but I sure do like Purnell's Old Folks Sausage and Brookshire's is the only place in this area that you can get it in the "smoked" variety, which is what the Cracker Barrel restaurants serve.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #13  
You can open a package that is turning and it will "bloom" back to normal color after it gasses off. It is not hurt if its slightly off color. I prefer 70/30 if you want flavor in your burgers you will have shrink but you can compensate for that.
I have been a butcher in my younger days and my father was a butcher for 47yrs.

/ Wal-Mart meat!
Wall world meat is 1 step up from dog food Imo.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #16  
Regardless of the store...you are usually not going to get the freshest packaged meats on a Sunday...

/ Wal-Mart meat! #17  
Its freakin hamburger. Its less desirable cuts of cow, and ground up and packaged.

Call it 1 step up from dog food or whatever you want, your not going to get anything any different at any other chain store.

IF you want to pay the money to perhaps get 2 or 3 steps up from dog food, go to a butcher.

Brow meat doesnt mean its bad either. Use it quick, freeze it, or let it turn brown in your fridge. Your choice. But its all still good meat. Perhaps you would prefer they load it up with chemicals and other preservatives so it stays nice and pink in your fridge for a month or more???

/ Wal-Mart meat! #18  
While on the topic of hamburger, what fat content does everyone prefer? The wife likes the super low fat 93/7 but I prefer the 85/15 or even 80/20 for burgers because it makes them juicier.

I like the super lean stuff if I am using ground meat for something. Such as spaghetti sauce, chili, taco stew, hamburger helper, etc etc. There is nothing to drain once its browned.

For grilling, I like the higher fat 80/20 stuff. Like you said, makes them juicer, but it also seems to help hold them together better when doing hand pressed patties.....especially if you mix anything in (like making stuffed burgers)

/ Wal-Mart meat! #19  
My assumption is that everything in a Walmart is from China. I don't feed my dogs anything from China so I'm sure as he|| not goin' put that stuff in my mouth. :thumbdown: