Chipper Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP?

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #1  

farmerboybill

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel
Hey all,

I have an 8500ish laying hen operation. The barns were poorly designed, so they condensate badly. The cost of buying wood shavings is brutal. I've spent over $1000 in shavings so far this winter and the barns are still too wet. Since I have 90 acres of woods, an OWB, and 4 miles of fenceline to maintain, I'm considering a chipper.

I'd prefer a 6-10" capacity chipper, but the budget won't allow it for now. Not that I NEED 6-10", it's just easier to feed 2-4" branches in a larger machine when they're brushy or bendy. Anything over 2-4" gets processed into firewood for my OWB. There's a Wallenstein BX40 for sale locally for closer to what I can afford. I'm thinking of buying it "for now" until I find a bigger rig.

So, my smallest tractor is a John Deere 60 @ 42 hp, but it doesn't have a 3PH. My next available tractor is a 4010 with a 4430 engine in it - 125 hp. Am I asking for trouble with putting it on the 4010, or should I find a way to use it on the 60?

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #2  
As long as there's a working slip clutch on the PTO shaft and you slip it from time to time the high tractor HP shouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure that the wood chips that you get out of any chipper will absorb the same way that dry wood shavings do, though.

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking so much for absorption as I am for floatation. If I kept up with the shavings, I would have already spent another $1000, and be working on my third $1000. I also despise having used all the bags. Until they went out of business, I was buying small bulk loads of wood chips and shavings from a custom log furniture outfit. I would pack 30 gallon garbage cans and haul them into the barn to dump.

You know, I have a 540 reduction shaft here. I wonder if I could put the 1000 rpm shaft in and run the tractor just above an idle. That should reduce the hp and the fuel consumption.

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #4  
I had a JD 60 for years and put a 3 pt hitch on it. Used it like a real tractor until the Powertrol coughed up its insides and then I upgraded a few years to an IH 574RC.

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #5  
I have a wallenstein BX 6" chipper. It has a shear bolt for protection.
I have hitched it to 100 hp tractor with no problems. I have never sheared a shear pin.
I would put the 540 pto shaft in and run at 540 or above. Your tractor won't burn much fuel as there is no load on it.
You would be more satisfied with a bigger chipper. If you get the 4" chipper be sure and get the book that shows you how to set the stationary knife. It's very important that this is correct so it will self feed. Make sure the pto shaft is not too long when you raise it up on the 3 pt hitch.
Good luck
Don

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #6  
I have a Champion Chipper, I think the model is CX551, built here in PA by Pequea Equipment. Heavily built, it is pretty well designed with a hydraulic feed. Found mine slightly used for about 3k. Except for some hassle getting to the the anvil that the blades shear against, I like the machine. I drive mine with my JD 110 TLB (43 HP) and it runs everything through it no problem. It does have a set of three belts that drive the blower - if you break one the others aren't long lived, as the load quickly does them in too. It is all but a 6" capacity. Simply designed, I'll never have trouble fixing/maintaining it and anything bigger than 6" is firewood.

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #7  
I ran my Wally BX42 on my 65hp Kubota for several years with no problems. It had a shear bolt for protection and it never sheared.

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP? #8  
Are there any sawmills in your area? saw dust from the mills make good bedding unless it's too fine.... Bandsaw mills output is too fine usually.
how are you going to clean all this woodchip bedding out of the buildings? do you have a skidsteer?

Regards,
Chris

/ Wallenstein BX40 chipper - How much HP is too muich HP?
Dunno if anyone is following this thread, but I didn't buy the Wallenstien. Right after finding that one, a Valby 9" capacity chipper with hydraulic feed was listed. I snarfed it right up. I'm REALLY glad I didn't buy the Wallenstein. I think the Valby is a much better chipper in the end, especially since it's built for 40-90 hp. Thew hydraulic feed is worth it's weight in gold. It'll make a 75 hp 3020 snort with larger branches. I also just bought a Ford 7700 tractor, so it'll now go on it.