Chipper Wallenstein BX62S?

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #11  
I agree, the only problem i have is shearing pins on start up......I've gotten where i open up blade area each time i start it otherwise the shear will jam and shear.......my problem is what size is the shear pin.......I found online where it said M10-1.5 X 55mm in 10.9 grade........but i bought it exactly that size and it is too big......any helming;p would be greatly appreciated!!

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #12  
I bought a BX62s three years ago - upgraded from BX42s. So far I've put around 120 hours on the chipper. I thin my stands of young Ponderosa pines and will chip between 800-950 young pines every year at this time. Actually, today I'm taking the day off and letting the 'ol bod recuperate from my chipping activities.

I've learned a few tips on use of any chipper. When you are finished for the day - open the chipping compartment and clean out all the chips & twigs. This will eliminate shearing pins on startup. When you do startup - engage the chipper at idle speed on the tractor and engage it slowly. Once the chipping wheel is spinning - then you can bring the tractor up to PTO speed. Large diameter, short(8' or less) logs are quite likely to shear a pin. This is because the log will hit the spinning shear wheel, chip off a chunk, bounce back out the input chute a small bit, slide back down the chute, hit the spinning shear wheel, chip off another chunk - etc, etc. An entire whole tree, the same diameter, will not do this because the mass of the tree will keep the trunk in constant contact with the chipping wheel and not create such extreme shock loading.

I considered a BX92s but consider this. I chip my pine trees "in the round". The entire tree with all limbs attached is fed directly into the chipper. Yes, the BX62s will chip a 6" tree - - the question is.... are you enough of a man to be dragging 6" x 30' trees out of the woods, hour after hour???

And if you, like me, are able to do it continuously for a maximum of two hours at a stretch - then why in the h*ll do you need a chipper that will handle 9" trees.
Go out in your woods - fell a tree that is 9" on the butt - drag it 50 feet, like you were dragging it to your chipper. Put the butt up on a wheelbarrow, like the lip of a chipper in-chute - - then go back down the tree and lift it up four feet in the air, like you were putting it down the chute of your chipper - push and see if you can push it off the wheel barrow.

How long do you think you could do this for real???? NOW - explain to me why you think you need a chipper that will handle 9" trees.

Anything over 6" can be turned into firewood.............

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #13  
RugerPilot345 -

You will find that Grade 8 - 2.25" long - 3/8 inch diameter bolt with a pinch nut is the exact duplicate of the OEM shear bolt. I was fortunate, beyond belief, when I blew a shear bolt today and found both halves lying on the ground. I have no idea where you would find the metric equivalent of this bolt - nor why it would be necessary to even have the metric equivalent.... believe me, the SAE equivalent is expensive enough - - $4.89 for the bolt & $0.99 for the nut.

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #15  
thanks Oosik, I'll give that a go and see how it works, thanks!!

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #16  
For the price I would consider the WoodMaxx WM-8H or the Woodland Mills WC86. I have posted a PDF that compares the two chippers. Search for WoodMaxx WM-8H vs Woodland Mills WC86. You can go through the features and see how the Wallenstein shapes up.

Hope this will help in your decision.

/ Wallenstein BX62S? #17  
I've had my 62s for about 5 years now. No problems.
It feeds well as a self feeder, but I now wish that I would have bought the hydraulic feed so that I could control feed speed. It would be better for my tractor if I could slow down the feed speed.
I bought it when I lived in Oregon and it was excellent at getting rid of alder branches. I now live in Arizona and everything that I trt to chip has stickers of some sort. Hydraulic feed would be nice for this.
I've checked around a bit and it seems that since the model changed that purchasing the hydraulic unit for it is not possible. Should have not been so cheap when I bought it.