Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110
Thanks I replaced the wheel bearings, half moon keys at the top of the kingpins this has tightened things up a fair bit though apart from one worn ball joint that I will replace when available, the drag links etc ar pretty good.
There is some evidence of the camber being wider at the bottom than the top of the wheels so the next thing I plan to do is check the main axle for true along with the adjustable stubs.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #12  
Thanks I replaced the wheel bearings, half moon keys at the top of the kingpins this has tightened things up a fair bit though apart from one worn ball joint that I will replace when available, the drag links etc ar pretty good.
There is some evidence of the camber being wider at the bottom than the top of the wheels so the next thing I plan to do is check the main axle for true along with the adjustable stubs.

Would be better if it were a little wider at the top for steering box and wheel bearing wear.
Wider at the bottom was what made me realize the non OEM replacement axle was bending. When I rolled the barn door open that the unit sits behind my eyes saw the wheels
spread out at the bottom being different than it had been for years before.
Check the cross axle for hairline cracks where the bolts go through. You might try taking the weight off the front axle and loosening the bolts enough to see the cross axle
where it makes contact with the wheel arms.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #13  
that camber out can be from worn spindle bushings as well

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #14  
Ross
Hopefully you won't end up like this.
I was lucky as was just mowing a relatively flat area when it let go with no advanced warning. On a hill it could cause a rollover.
Is your land flat in New South Wales?

Attachments

• 01-borken axle.jpg
    01-borken axle.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 02-broken axle.jpg
    02-broken axle.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 119
   / Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #15  
Ross
Hopefully you won't end up like this.
I was lucky as was just mowing a relatively flat area when it let go with no advanced warning. On a hill it could cause a rollover.
Is your land flat in New South Wales?

That brings back memories. When I built my first house I borrowed a friends John Deere 4640 or some such model, about a 65 or so horsepower tractor two wheel drive to finish up moving some dirt for landscaping and learned that tractors with front loaders are not bull dozers nevertheless I move a lot of dirt and picked up a few large slabs of rock to move out of the way and after a few days of this I returned his tractor which was used on a dairy. Drove down the highway for about 12 miles to and from and up a rough country lane road.

Put the tractor in the barn and felt like all was well. About two weeks later when my friend returned home from business trip (shades of Green Acres) he was eager to get in some seat time cleaning out some barn yards and driveways. He climbed on his tractor and just as he hit the starter the axle broke and looked just like that picture.

The tractor had a lot of hours on it but I did not do it any favors with what I used it for. My friend called the John Deere dealer and had them come out with a new 4wd model and never batted an eye my way. When I saw the break it was obviously a fatigue crack and all I had done is help it along a bit but basically it was just going to let go any day.

If it had broken while I was using it, it would have been my dime for sure, but he was wealthy and just helping me out so did not make too much of the fact that a I was the last to use it.

He later commented that that axle breaking was a god send because he did not know that it was not necessary to struggle with backing out a load. 4wd changed his world.