Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
Here is a tip if you are shipping something large but light - UPS has adopted something called dimensional pricing, meaning they calculate the price based on both dimensions and weight and you pay the higher of the two.

It might sound trivial, but I send a package recently and paid $35 for UPS Ground service. When I got home, I punched in the dimensions and weight on the USPS site and found I could have send the exact same package 2nd Day Priority Mail for $12

BEWARE of the new FedEx and UPS Dimensional Weight Pricing: You May Be Paying More Than You Think | Endicia Blog

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #2  
It has always been this way, and not just for UPS.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #3  
Always pays to shop around for services.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #4  
My experiences have been that UPS is nothing short of a money grab for the company and poor on performance.
I paid for a five day delivery and was notified that my package was ready for pickup, after I paid another $130 or so, nearly six weeks later. By that time I had cancelled my order and repurchased elsewhere, for half the price and had it delivered within a week.
So, when I see UPS, FedEx. etc, I remember how I got ripped off and will go out of my way to purchase somewhere that does not use the so called "couriers". USPS for me every time.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #5  
Yeah, and how about those fuel sur-charges?.........now that fuel prices have been low for some time.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #6  
Also, beware of shipping at the UPS Store's (or FedEx). They are independently owned franchise's not the UPS company. Many if not most will charge you more than the rate on the UPS.COM website. We have a local UPS Store that adds 40% to the shipping cost just for printing the label.

What you need to do is go to the UPS.COM website and create and pay for your shipment.
Print the label and place it on your package and then drop it off at the store.
Get a DROP OFF RECEIPT!

They are required by their contract to accept your package.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #7  
I am a Canadian and use the Fed Ex Warehouse in Sweet Grass MT. The people that work there are great. The prices too are a lot more reasonable than what we get in Canada. I just drop off parcels and get billed in the mail. If there are any issues the lady's there phone me and we work it out. Awesome people to work with!!

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #8  
My experiences have been that UPS is nothing short of a money grab for the company and poor on performance.
I paid for a five day delivery and was notified that my package was ready for pickup, after I paid another $130 or so, nearly six weeks later. By that time I had cancelled my order and repurchased elsewhere, for half the price and had it delivered within a week.
So, when I see UPS, FedEx. etc, I remember how I got ripped off and will go out of my way to purchase somewhere that does not use the so called "couriers". USPS for me every time.

Sure thing USPS/Can Post is the only way for us!
UPS adds brokerage fee (+2 taxes) cash disbursement fee (+ 2 taxes) duties & taxes (+2 taxes)
Once a $9.00 US item landed costing darn near $40.cdn. AND the seller had promised USPS.
Problem is sellers often are too lazy and UPS will pick up at his door which USPS wont do.

If you wish to teach shipper a lesson refuse the shipment and return to sender. He will have to pay all fees both ways!
Naturally you would have had to use a Credit Card to obtain your refund, that or purchased on EBay.

Oh, but their defense is that by law they need to collect them taxes, duties etc and again by law need to tax all the services they provide.

And some drivers are lazy, had package showing on truck for 6 days* also refusal to pick up : too heavy, poor packaging, etc etc.(took same poor heavy to the depot and supervisor told me that if all packages were as well prepared
they would have less claims) he was fired!

* made a complaint and zone supervisor personally delivered and that driver had to look for a new job.

Fed X is a bit better,but similar on fees side. Once I towed the FedX out of the ditch saving them a towing.
Next day they FedX'd me a thank you gift! (About a $25.00 item) Nice touch!

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #9  
Once I towed the FedX out of the ditch saving them a towing.

I like FedEx! This Winter they have been the only other carrier besides my USPS mail gal with her Jeep Rubicon to drive up to the house in the snow. Why Fed ex has even delivered at 8pm on a Saturday evening to me. I have had a few UPS drivers as of late that have had an attitude I haven't been very fond of at all.

/ Watch Out for UPS Shipping Pricing #10  
Sure thing USPS/Can Post is the only way for us!
UPS adds brokerage fee (+2 taxes) cash disbursement fee (+ 2 taxes) duties & taxes (+2 taxes)
Once a $9.00 US item landed costing darn near $40.cdn. AND the seller had promised USPS.
Problem is sellers often are too lazy and UPS will pick up at his door which USPS wont do.

If you wish to teach shipper a lesson refuse the shipment and return to sender. He will have to pay all fees both ways!
Naturally you would have had to use a Credit Card to obtain your refund, that or purchased on EBay.

Oh, but their defense is that by law they need to collect them taxes, duties etc and again by law need to tax all the services they provide.....

!

I learned the hard way with a US purchase shipped via UPS, PILOON. Since then I have always specified USPS for most items, or made sure to have the exact shipping and customs charges specified in the price. Although I have not used them, there are services with very reasonable rates in USA border towns who will receive items for Canadians who can pick them up and take them through customs on their own. I am too far from the border for that to be viable, but it could be for "big ticket" items such as implements.

I normally will not order from the USA unless the supplier will ship USPS. That way I can pay reasonable customs/duty/tax charges at the Canadian post office. The local post office usually can't be bothered to charge for low value (under $50??) shipments.

I avoid UPS if at all possible, mainly because of the original rip-off and because they continue to gouge. I don't mind paying reasonable rates for services but avoid greedy businesses whenever possible, and will warn others of those companies who take unfair advantage.

But it is not always possible to avoid such companies. My only option for reasonable internet service (which is cellular) is my present supplier Bell, or equally greedy Telus. It's funny how similar their "competitive" rates end up virtually the same, and far above that necessary for reasonable profit.