Water hardness

/ Water hardness #1  

brokenknee

Platinum Member
Sold my home and should be closing on my new property in a couple of weeks. Had a water test done but it does not say what the hardness of the water is.

Just wondering if this is a separate test or can it be determined from the supplied information?

Here is a snipe of the water test results;

water test.JPG

/ Water hardness #2  
Don't know if you can find it from that info or not. However when we put in a new water softener a while back we bought some kind of test strip from the big box home improvement store. Ran the strip in water that was not softened and it turned a different color depending on how many grains of hardness you had. That way we knew how to set up the softener.

/ Water hardness #3  
Around here the companies that install water softeners will test it for you, although they will always tell you it is really bad even when it is not. Those test strips from the hardware stores do work, but they will only give you a general range. That's probably good enough to tell if you have a problem worth worrying about. I suggest you test for hardness (usually lime content) and also for iron content.

/ Water hardness #4  
   / Water hardness #5  
That is a basic well test. They are looking for safety issues with your well water - bacterial or chemical contamination (nitrates generally related to runoff from farm fertilizer, for example - often a problem in farm country where the water table is close to the surface). You'll notice the last 2 columns talking about "EPA" requirements. Hardness testing is done separately. Our softener guy did it. Very honest decent guy. No question ours was seriously hard (not a surprise around here), but he said no iron, so that was good. Like others said, you may get a line of BS from some. If you can find someone you trust, then you should be good with them. Otherwise maybe just get your own test like S219 pointed you to.

/ Water hardness #6  
It won't give you any technical data but you can do a simple "soap test"...if a little soap goes a long way the water is soft...if it rinses right off the water is hard...

/ Water hardness #7  
You can take a small bottle of water to any Sears store that sells Water Softeners and they will do the same "drops" test for you for free. Of course they will try to get you to buy a Water Softener but all you have to say is; "I will think about it" and walk away.

/ Water hardness #8  
What dstig1 said. There are basically two tests for water. Bacterial quality - yours indicates its acceptable and chemical quality - yours only had nitrates/nitrites run. Nitrates/nitrites is a test to see if agricultural fertilizer is in your water. Your water is acceptable for that also.

There is a whole flock of chemical tests that can be run - which are normally not done on a "standard" sample. Iron, calcium, fluoride, magnesium etc, etc. A "standard" chemical test can be quite expensive if it includes most chemical compounds that might be present in the water in your area.

The liquid soap test is a quick & dirty method of determining hardness. Two drops of Dawn in a quart jar half full of cold water. Shake vigorously - does it foam up and almost fill the vacant portion of the jar with foam - if so, your water would be considered soft. Does it only produce a small amount of foam - this water would be considered hard. This does not give any quantitate results - only a visual representation.

This test also has "nasty" spin offs. Quart jar - half full of cold water - add NO detergent - shake vigorously. The water foams up - you have sewage in your water.
Don't try this last test at home folks - its EXTREMELY easy to get false results. This test should only be done by personnel that have experience.

/ Water hardness #10  
Having lived the last 20 years on wells and having water softeners I would never go back to water without softening!
I put a Whirlpool from Lowe's ($349.00 on sale!) in my last house about 3 years ago and it worked so well that I put the same kind in my new house a year and a half ago.
Old house had iron, new house is just HARD and both houses have great water afterwards.
I also used a carbon filter on the iron house which made a big difference. I drank many gallons of that water!