Water in my air!

/ Water in my air! #1  

moored4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N
:confused3:
I have searched and read most of the threads that have dealt with condensation in compressed air and the damage that it can do to plasma cutting heads. So what traps and/or filters should I install on my compressed air supply lines? I want a good system but as always don't want to spend a arm and a leg for it! I have a home 2 person shop, weld and cut every day, and 9 to 10 months a year there is moisture in the air! Got to love the great northwest!

Thanks for you help :D

/ Water in my air! #2  
Probably the cheapest way is the one Harbor Freights sells. If you don't count your labor, you could copy the one I built. If your interested in mine I can post pictures.
I know what you mean about this dam North West weather! :mad:

Compressed Air Dryer

/ Water in my air! #4  
I had a HVAC engineer help design mine. He said here in the NW we wouldn't need to add ice to the water in the garbage can, (well maybe that 1 or 2 weeks in August) somewhere hot like AZ where he lives you'd have to add ice to drop the temperature of the air before it leaves the garbage can / inter cooler.

/ Water in my air! #5  
Or you can get a really good Motor gaurd plasma cutter filter for a little over 100 bucks.

/ Water in my air! #7  
lol. I think I got enamored again with all the shiny copper involved....But if price is a problem, it is not a bad choice.

/ Water in my air!
I had a HVAC engineer help design mine. He said here in the NW we wouldn't need to add ice to the water in the garbage can, (well maybe that 1 or 2 weeks in August) somewhere hot like AZ where he lives you'd have to add ice to drop the temperature of the air before it leaves the garbage can / inter cooler.

Thanks for the pictures!
They are pretty self explanatory. :)
The 4th one, is it just a drain for inter cooling water?
The copper tubing, Is it just regular rolled plumbing tubing?
You have got a nice shop, well kept!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Water in my air! #9  
The valve with the hose on it, is to drain the garbage can. Which I've never done, I used that water bed additive. The other valve drains the copper tubing, I leave it open when I start the compressor to blow out any water left in the bottom of the tubing. Yes I bought the roll of tubing from Home Depot. I used compression fittings from the local hydraulic shop.

Thanks for the comments on my shop, I wish I could convince my wife to keep the house as clean as I keep my shop! Please don't tell her I said that! :eek:

Attachments

• Shop.jpg
    Shop.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 186
   / Water in my air! #10  
You could put an electric tank drain on the bottom too. It will time out and regularlly drain moisture from the tank. .I use inline cartridge filters on my 4 hp comp.