Water in transmission

/ Water in transmission #1  

lonelyop

Tractor
LS XG3135
I accidentally pumped about a quart of water into the transmission. Tractor has not been run much since then. Aside from fluid drain and change, along with filter change, is there anything else I should do? Additives or flush?
It's due for the maintenance anyway.

I stuck a longer rod down in the dipstick and what came back isn't emulsified goo, so I guess that's encouraging.

XG3135 mechanical trans.

Thanks.

/ Water in transmission #2  
Formal answer: I have no clue

That said, you say it's due for a maintenance? Does that mean a transmission fluid swap? If so... I'd drain it.... leave it sit for a day or so, slap new filter, fluid and call it a day . Not REALLY sure I'd concern myself about sitting for a day.....I personally like to get it done.

I had a lot of water get into my trans as the shift boot under the machine (VERY hard to find/see) anyway, the boot allowing shift rod to go through the opening and be sealed....had rotted so rain was being directed into transmission as the boot was kaput.

Flushed it several times this past fall. Not sure the state BUT, I know for a fact the "red" transmission fluid is still pink. I'll work it in spring, get it hot and do again.

Mine was so emulsified.... that it was more the consistency of foam rather than oil. After draining several times, it's now consistency of oil.....but pink oil. Progress.

/ Water in transmission #3  
If you get it hot enough, it goes away. Drain it until oil comes out, put plug back in. I used to have an 8n that got water in it all the time. 70 years old and still going.

/ Water in transmission #4  
I accidentally pumped about a quart of water into the transmission. Tractor has not been run much since then. Aside from fluid drain and change, along with filter change, is there anything else I should do? Additives or flush?
It's due for the maintenance anyway.

I stuck a longer rod down in the dipstick and what came back isn't emulsified goo, so I guess that's encouraging.

XG3135 mechanical trans.

Thanks.
I’d be interested to know how you managed to pump a quart of water into the transmission

/ Water in transmission #5  
I've had to deal with water contamination a few times. There are ways to 'dry' the oil, but since you're in need of service anyway, a simple drain and replace is all that is needed. Drain the oil, replace the filter (these filters wont filter water). Maybe dump a few qts of oil into the trans with the drain plug removed, if you feel it necessary. You'll likely have water contaminated oil in the cylinders, but without a complete flush (very expensive with the oil costs) its not the end of the world. Water will evaporate out of the oil with heat.

My advise: do your service, and run the crap out of it! Get that new oil HOT

It will be fine.

/ Water in transmission #6  
Because hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic, it will collect some condensation and like state above, the best way to remove it is get the unit hot enough to vaporize it off. Short operating cycles without getting it up to temp are bad for it. That and insuring that any boots or openings have intact boots on them.

/ Water in transmission #7  
Because hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic, it will collect some condensation and like state above, the best way to remove it is get the unit hot enough to vaporize it off. Short operating cycles without getting it up to temp are bad for it. That and insuring that any boots or openings have intact boots on them.
a quart of water mixed in with who knows how much oil is a lot of water to expect to vaporize.

/ Water in transmission
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to drain it and see what I find. I didn't know if these tractors had a separator of any sort, or even an inspection window.

@Cycledude The way this happened was operating in haste when a bad front was blowing in. Rushing to get livestock where they needed to be at night after a long day at work. No lights in back of tractor...working with cell phone light. Implement attached to tractor was buried in ground, 3 point wasn't working because of low fluid. Fluid had been lost due to a leaky connector going back to the backhoe and also recently scraping off the short rubber hose connector underneath the tractor where the low pressure return line is joined together. Sometimes the backhoe frame can hit that if you're not careful. Anyways, tractor was low on fluid, had a 5g bucket brought to me with pump already in it. I just stuck the nozzle in and started pumping, two pumps in realized something didn't feel right (twss). Checked it and found that the bucket was mostly full of water with only a small bit of fluid on top. We thought it was full of hydraulic fluid going only by weight. Live and learn.

/ Water in transmission #9  
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to drain it and see what I find. I didn't know if these tractors had a separator of any sort, or even an inspection window.

@Cycledude The way this happened was operating in haste when a bad front was blowing in. Rushing to get livestock where they needed to be at night after a long day at work. No lights in back of tractor...working with cell phone light. Implement attached to tractor was buried in ground, 3 point wasn't working because of low fluid. Fluid had been lost due to a leaky connector going back to the backhoe and also recently scraping off the short rubber hose connector underneath the tractor where the low pressure return line is joined together. Sometimes the backhoe frame can hit that if you're not careful. Anyways, tractor was low on fluid, had a 5g bucket brought to me with pump already in it. I just stuck the nozzle in and started pumping, two pumps in realized something didn't feel right (twss). Checked it and found that the bucket was mostly full of water with only a small bit of fluid on top. We thought it was full of hydraulic fluid going only by weight. Live and learn.

Don’t ever beat yourself up for that. You were working your tail off, trying to get done, up against the clock in poor lighting.
My wife just filled our daughters car’s coolant degas bottle with a 1/2 gallon of windshield washer fluid. :ROFLMAO:
We all make mistakes.

I would think about draining out everything I could, then buying the cheapest fluid you can. Run the cheap fluid in the transmission, drain, then refill with the good stuff.

/ Water in transmission
Just a quick update. I drained the entire transmission. Only water that came out was out of the drain plug in the rear. If it was anywhere else it was completely emulsified, though the oil looked brand new. I raised up the FEL while draining everything, that oil looked different...but more like from a different manufacturer rather than having any water in it. It was more tan vs the TSC stuff which has a red tinge.

All in all, no problems. Put about 15 hours on it since new fluid without issue.

Thanks again for everyones input!