Water or plumber experts?

/ Water or plumber experts? #1  

Pixguy

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
So my Kohler toilet was running (2 yrs old and chain must've caught up) so I removed cover to fix and I see this film and white particles floating. I expect to see rust with iron water but never saw this.
I have a whole house filter as well as a salt water softener. Is it salt and what's the film?

3F2900C5-368F-453C-A1A0-CE3AC6ECF248.jpeg

/ Water or plumber experts? #2  
reaction with the toilet itself, nothing to be worried about

/ Water or plumber experts? #3  
Mine in my 3 kohlers is clear. I have no filters or softeners. Something to do with your artificial water. LOL

Take a smple to your university extension office...

/ Water or plumber experts?
The water in bowl is clear and no staining and we did have the water tested prior to moving in. Nothing out of the ordinary but yes to iron.

/ Water or plumber experts? #7  
Since you mention that you have a water softener, I am guessing that your water is hard.:rolleyes:

We saw similar floaters in our toilet when our water softener had its main valve piston sheared off internally causing it not to regenerate the ion exchange resin, despite going through the motions of backwashing, salt cycling, etc. From the outside, it looked like everything was working, but upon disassembly the piston was in two pieces. (Fleck 2500) We get what I believe calcium/magnesium sulfate flakes floating on our unsoftened water, as in leave a bucket out for awhile and you see them floating. They are not acid soluble. My guess is that CO2 diffuses out of the water, shifting the pH, causing the flakes to form, but I am not a water chemist.

So, you might want to check that your softener is working. Does old fashioned soap curdle in your water or do the suds stay foamy, with milky water in the sink?

All the best,

Peter

/ Water or plumber experts?
Since you mention that you have a water softener, I am guessing that your water is hard.:rolleyes:

We saw similar floaters in our toilet when our water softener had its main valve piston sheared off internally causing it not to regenerate the ion exchange resin, despite going through the motions of backwashing, salt cycling, etc. From the outside, it looked like everything was working, but upon disassembly the piston was in two pieces. (Fleck 2500) We get what I believe calcium/magnesium sulfate flakes floating on our unsoftened water, as in leave a bucket out for awhile and you see them floating. They are not acid soluble. My guess is that CO2 diffuses out of the water, shifting the pH, causing the flakes to form, but I am not a water chemist.

So, you might want to check that your softener is working. Does old fashioned soap curdle in your water or do the suds stay foamy, with milky water in the sink?

All the best,

Peter
Thanks for your insight. It is a half bath that's not used daily and I'll do your suds test but the shower still feels different than a non softener shower and I hear the softener regenerate (I think) once a month.

/ Water or plumber experts? #9  
For peace of mind I would grab a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water and flush the tank out a few times.

/ Water or plumber experts? #10  
@Pixguy FWIW: our defective softener made some difference to the water quality, but the water quality got significantly better when we put a new softener in. I would be the first to admit that we have very hard water.

All the best,

Peter

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Allis Chalmers 324 Grain Header (A33041)
Allis Chalmers 324...
2024 Swict 78in Skid Steer Bucket Attachment (A32932)
2024 Swict 78in...
John Deere 920 Hay Cutter (A33041)
John Deere 920 Hay...
J STYLE CONCRETE FEED BUNK (A32908)
J STYLE CONCRETE...
2024 Texas Bragg Utility Trailer (A33041)
2024 Texas Bragg...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...