Water pump and antifreeze?

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #1  

Strummer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Strummer1%
I’m in the process of changing my water pump out on my TC-40A . Got the old one pulled off already . Waiting on the new one to show up . What antifreeze do I need to go back with ? 50/50 blend ? Straight up 100 % ? Color matter?

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #2  
Your owner manual should tell you what type antifreeze to use. Many manuals will recommend an ethylene glycol base. Some of the newer anti freeze types being sold are supposed to be compatible with everything. Those would be a good choice. I know Prestone had a universal one. You can buy a pre mix but it's less expensive to buy just the antifreeze and mix it yourself. A 50/50 blend is all most people will need just be sure to blend with distilled water not tap water or well water. That will reduce hard water build up later.

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #3  
I highly recommend buying the premixed antifreeze, eliminates any chance of mixing it wrong. The little bit extra it costs really doesn’t matter much unless you have a large fleet of equipment.

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #4  
Do not mix antifreeze types, I don't care about bottles that say they are completely compatible.
water pump1.jpg

Get an engine full of this and then believe in compatibility.
What ever brand or type that you use if it's different then what you have been using flush the system out with plain water a few times,
and with the hoses off both directions till the flush water is clean and clear.
A lot easier to flush then try and clean out afterward.

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #5  
Follow the manufactures direction. There may be restrictions as to what can be used.
Anything over a 50/50 mixture is not required and may decrease coolant heat transfer.( In the past)

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #6  
I believe the strongest mix on most anti-freezes is a 60-40 mix, 60% anti freeze and 40% water.
That is usually the lowest freezing point and the highest boiling point. It is what I use just to be sure.

On these newer engines with no block drain plugs you can not get all the water out of an engine,
I add straight anti freeze till I have put in enough to be have the specified capacity then I'll start added blended
till full.

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #7  
Do not mix antifreeze types, I don't care about bottles that say they are completely compatible.
View attachment 763518
Get an engine full of this and then believe in compatibility.
What ever brand or type that you use if it's different then what you have been using flush the system out with plain water a few times,
and with the hoses off both directions till the flush water is clean and clear.
A lot easier to flush then try and clean out afterward.
That is a bad deal (from mixing extended life red af with conventional green glycol AF and then only way to rid an engine of that is repeated flushings with Dawn dishwash detergent and hot water...

Know someone that happened to and it wasn't pretty.

Me, I just stick with what is in there (Green Glycol) and never mix anything.

/ Water pump and antifreeze? #10  
I highly recommend buying the premixed antifreeze, eliminates any chance of mixing it wrong. The little bit extra it costs really doesn’t matter much unless you have a large fleet of equipment.
Just get yourself a Brix Refractometer that measures the concentration and they are not expensive at all.