Water pump on Gator

/ Water pump on Gator #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I have a MY 2000 Gator 6x4 Diesel, bought last fall with just under 2000 hours on the meter.

It was overheating and the fan didn't work so that seemed the obvious solution. However, after replacing the fan (and it operates) I am still overheating.

The upper radiator hose is cold when the engine is hot so we deduced one of two likely problems: stuck thermostat or bad water pump. Well, there IS NO thermostat installed so clearly that is not the problem (AND an indicator that a PO knew there was an overheating issue and thought that might help...).

I (finally!!) got the water pump off. If feels nice and tight. Is there a simple way to test it to see if it's moving water?

Or any other thoughts as to why it may be overheating?

/ Water pump on Gator #2  
Which diesel engine? Yanmar? model # ?

Which water pump?
AM878911 or AM882218

/ Water pump on Gator
Which diesel engine? Yanmar? model # ?

Which water pump?
AM878911 or AM882218

Yanmar 3007D003

I can't find a single distinguishing number on the water pump, other than "ELC"

2020-05-30 18.11.25.jpg

/ Water pump on Gator #4  
Appears that the pump with the thermostat is AM878911 and has replacement without thermostat AM882218.. if that helps any.
Find the parts on jdparts...
John Deere Parts Catalog

Maybe a thermostat not needed.. ??

/ Water pump on Gator
Appears that the pump with the thermostat is AM878911 and has replacement without thermostat AM882218.. if that helps any.
Find the parts on jdparts...
John Deere Parts Catalog

Maybe a thermostat not needed.. ??

Interesting. Realistically, not sure why a thermostat would really be needed anyways.

The odd thing is that the water pump feels nice and tight, so I assume it's still (trying to) moving water. So not sure what the water is not circulating. I suppose possibly(??!) the radiator is plugged for some reason?

/ Water pump on Gator #6  
Interesting. Realistically, not sure why a thermostat would really be needed anyways.

The odd thing is that the water pump feels nice and tight, so I assume it's still (trying to) moving water. So not sure what the water is not circulating. I suppose possibly(??!) the radiator is plugged for some reason?

Thermostats are to keep coolant in engine until it warms.
I would made sure cooling system is not plugged

/ Water pump on Gator
After all that, it appears that the PO (or PPO) did some work on the cooling system and didn't properly bleed the system, leading to an air bubble and lack of circulation.

Steps that lead me here.
1. Fan didn't come on when the High Temp lamp came on. Replaced fan. Fan comes on but still overheating.
2. Took thermostat housing off, no thermostat. So, presumably a PO was having trouble with temps and thought the answer was removing the T-Stat.
3. Took water pump off. All looked ok, but took back plate off too, impeller still attached,
4. Poured water into top of radiator, water flowed out of bottom of radiator.
5. Put water into engine block inlet, water flowed out of outlet.
4. Poured water into block inlet and water poured out from block outlet.
5. Hooked everything back up, bled per mfr directions, no overheating.

I say all this so that if anyone else is having trouble with overheating maybe it will help them fix it.

/ Water pump on Gator #8  
Weird. So you didnt really replace any parts besides the fan which didn稚 fix correct the issue.

It ends up being the simplest thing. Human error in so many cases ;).

/ Water pump on Gator #9  
I assume you also installed a thermostat?