Water Witching/Dowsing?

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #11  
Water witching... I remain so skeptical that I almost squeek when I walk. If it wasn't for all the documented success stories I'd write it off completely.

About making a holding fixture to elliminate subconscious manipulation of the rods/sticks/forked stick/whatever. Waste of time. As you take the human out of the loop you are basically making a machine for finding water or whatever and all your engineering and science won't make an automated dowser (approximating the rig used by dowsing witches) with no man-in-the-loop. Another thing to consider is that although the dowser may have a strong opinion regarding the "way it works" there is probably no scientific connection between the dowser's belief and reality, with the exception that some reliably find water. It is not important that the dowser understand what is really happening and could be counterproductive.

I was for a time associated with a research group made up of mostly scientists, engineers, psychologists, etc. who were researching paranormal activities and phenomena. In general, the "sensitive" or research subject, or in this instance water dowser, does not really know how they do what they do, even though often extremely sure they do. One of the "prime directives" is to NOT tell them they are wrong or suggest an alternative explanation is possible or any such similar exchange. The task at hand was two fold: 1. go along with them and maintain a neutral to supportive atmosphere and 2. Pay close atention to accurate observation and instrumentation so as to be able to factor out any mumbo jumbo and cut to the chase. Was something going on and if so what and could it be explained by normal means.

Of course you get several fakes who want to have you "certify" their mystic powers so you have to be vigilant and luckily we had some fairly astute magicians among our ranks who saw us through those situations. I have no research notes or papers to offer but will make a claim that can be acccepted or rejected. The dowsing aparatus serves the role of Ouija board and acts as a feedback mechanism to allow the person's subconscious to communicate with the external world. It is not unlike automatic writing where in a trance state a subject's hand will write perfectly readable text but the guy writing it doesn't (consciously) know what he wrote until he reads it. Similarly the aparatus (dowsing rods/sticks/whatever) serve as an external indicator of a subconscious process. Of course the dowser is manipulating the indicator and he is actually feeling NOTHING from the environment through the aparatus B U T he doesn't know that and his perception is that the aparatus "just moved on its own".

Think about it. Dowsers use whatever they think works, brass rods, forked sticks of whatever species. Surely no one thinks brass rods and cherry branches would react to any physical phenomena (short of gravity) in a similar manner. Willow is quite popular with some because as everyone knows, Willow trees always seek water and are found where there is water. This is the mumbo jumbo part and it is counterproductive to discuss this line of thought with the dowser. Just remain neutral to supportive and take any help you can get. As far as the mechanism by which some folks can get remote subconscious impressions, telesensory abilities, that is NOT my specialty. I have seen lots of "stuff", interesting stuff that couldn't be debunked so I believe there are things going on that we just don't understand yet. Not understanding them doesn't stop them from happening.

So, good luck to all water witches everywhere and best of luck to all those who rely on them.

Patrick

You can read up on some of the remote sensing that the CIA was researching. KGB was into it as well. Same basic phenomena, just being developed for different reasons than finding water.

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #12  
PitBull, There is a small town in New Mexico named Artesia where a famous well designer worked out the plans for a prototype well that has been copied all over the workd...

Just kidding! An artesian well flows of its own accord. I have seen artesian wells (a pipe stuck into a spring) where the water shot up several feet into the air. This was in Mississippi not too far from the Tom Bigby river. The science behind an artesian well is an aquifer or water source under pressure (usualy not like the oil gusher scene from old movies). Water under a rock structure that upturns near the surface but with a collection field (aquifer) at a higher elevation can have a head of pressure from the difference in elevation of where the surface of the water is in the source and the place where the well taps into the supply.

If you had a water tank 110 ft tall full of water and a little pipe stuck into it at the 10 ft level, water would run out of the little pipe and if directed upward would shoot up into the air just short of the height of the highest water in the tank. Shorter due to dynamic (flow) frictional losses. This is the basic, water flows downhill, explanation of an artesian well. NON artesian wells require a pump, bucket, long straw, or whatever to get water while an artesian well flows on its own.

Patrick

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #13  
I am not sure of the physics or geology but the water just keep pumping out of the well top - almost like it was under pressure underground and the well was a puncture in the skin of the earth allowing the water to flow. Here is a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.epa.gov/seahome/groundwater/src/artesian.htm>link </A> with a picture that helps and an explanation that is more precise.

Wish I had one but ... my well still does just fine.

Bob

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #14  
The guy that came out to drill my well pulled up in his pickup truck, looked around, and said, "How'bout right here - its behind the house and out of the way". He drilled 500' and we got 35 GPM.

You would think the dowsing method would only be good for water close to the surface, which may be more sporadic.

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #15  
There is an aspect of water well drilling and dowsing that should be mentioned, I supose. If the driller or dowser is quite familiar with the results of wells in the area it might not make much difference where the hole is poked if their is a good aquifer underlying the whole area. There are areas around here that I think might really test a water witch as there are lots of wells that get brackish water. Previous owner of my place had two good wells about 400 ft apart. He tried to drill another well about a quarter mile south of those and failed to get good water, 5 times, and ran pipe to his new house (subsequently trucked away).

I think you would be hard pressed to find an experienced water well driller that would give a good water or no pay deal around these parts. Within one to three miles of here there are folks with water problems or no water or wells that went salty or whatever. I have excellent testing and tasting water just a slow production rate. Don't think there is a supply problem just a flow rate problem due to porosity of strata. I have a band of water 2 ft thick from about 5 to 7 feet down on one of my gentle sloping pastures in a dense well packed layer of course sand above a layer of rock. Haven't really considered it as a potential potable water source but might bury some PEX tubing in it for a ground based heat pump.

Patrick

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #16  
Pit,
It does not even have to shoot up out of the ground to be an artesian,there is one about 3 miles from where I live,I was there when they drilled it in 1975.It was drilled in a hayfield,on bottom land,it just comes to the top of the hole and runs down through the hayfield,has been doing this since 1975.

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #17  
I have a well in the house I bought a few years ago. I was doing some excavating in the yard and needed to know exactly where the line went to the house. I used the L shaped rods, and yes, I am a scientific type and am very skeptical. It indicated right over the line, the whole length of the line. I though just for fun I would try the back yard. Was doing some excavating but not worried about any lines and such. It indicated and later when excavating we fould an old drain line no longer in use. I of course had no knoweldge of where either line was.

My neighbor has a Phd and and does research on brains at the local university. I asked her to try it, without telling here where I indicated of course and it worked for her too. Both places. I asked her to explain and she had "no clue"!

I had read about the L shaped wires and that's what I used. I however held the L's, one in each had paralell to the ground. the tips bent down with such force that that I could not hold them up. Yet when I let go they just dropped normally. I also thried the L shpaed rods...crossing technique. This also worked. I had several people try each method. Some worked better for some than others. The really spooky thing is holding the rods parallell to the ground and "experiencing" such force that you can't hold them level. Hmmmmm

Mike

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #18  
Well, ("no pun intended"), I just bought the book: "Wells and Septic Systems", 2nd Edition Alth and Duncan. First Edition 1927, Second Edition 1992. Excellent reading that I am sure any TBN'er would enjoy.

Although the authors are very skeptical of Dowsing, they do bring up some other ways to find water.

Bedrock, for example:

Granite ==> little chance of finding water
limestone ==> 50 feet or less
sandstone ==> 50 feet or less

Local plants:

These plants are valid for non-humid regions,

sedges, cattails and rushes --- good water near surface
cane and reeds -- 10 feet or less
pickleweed -- mineralized surface water with 1-2 % salt
arrow weed -- 10-20 feet
elderberry shrubs < 10 feet
mesquite 1-50 feet
black greasewood -- 10 - 40 feet

These plants are called phreatophytes and their roots must reach the water table. Your region may have its own phreatophytes and you can speak your local authorities.

A willow or a cottonwood tree growing in a normally dry region indicates considerable water within 20 feet of the surface. Some species of birch, sycamore, bay, oak and alder indicate relatively shallow digging.

Now, it used to be that Dowsers looked for willow branches or oak branches to do their thing.

Buck

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #19  
Patrick, I'll take a swing at this...

I think, to an extent, that what George Lucas talked about his Jedi's in Star Wars, when "Luke" was learning, is correct to a point. I know he didn't come up with the concept, obviously, but it seems a reasonable idea.

The Force. An energy field that surrounds all living things, animate and inanimate. Everything has it to varying degrees. Everyone has this "aura" about them.

So here we are at dowsing. I think it is just a matter of a persons energy field reacting with the energy around them. The dowsing rod or stick simply allows one to direct thier energy in a specific way. It is simply a tool. Some people prefer a wrench to a ratchet/socket for removing a bolt. Both tools will work. Some people like a brass rod for dowsing, while others prefer the branch of a tree.

As to it working, I think it depends on what a person thinks, believes. If you think you can run a 6 mile marathon, you probably can. If you think you can rebuild that engine, you probably can. If you doubt though, you probably wont finish that marathon, or may not be able to rebuild that engine, even though with a manual any body should be able to.

I'm not overboard about energy and aura's, but there's events that have happened to me that I believe would lend themselves to the idea.

/ Water Witching/Dowsing? #20  
I've been a skeptic all my life. But I know that it works. I've seen waterwitchers actually get injured when a stick breaks, in a way that could not be self-inflicted. However, I still have a problem with the guy who tells me that the water is 30 feet below because the rod moved 30 times? Hey, maybe I'm in Europe and working in Meters, etc. The difference between 30 meters and 30 feet is significant. Maybe it depends on the language that you speak.