Watering grass on distant area - pump?

/ Watering grass on distant area - pump? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I would like to be able to use a sprinkler that would cover a very large area to water new grass seed in a field. I'm going to need to run garden hose about 200 feet.

Has anyone done that using 3/4" garden hose from the water source, to an inline pump and then to the sprinkler?

I'm wondering if using a pump at the end of the run to increase pressure will allow a larger area to be watered using a rotating irrigation sprinkler?

I assume the pump helps with the water pressure but I don't know if it would fail to produce the desired results because of the water volume?

/ Watering grass on distant area - pump? #2  
Booster pump sounds like a great idea.

/ Watering grass on distant area - pump? #3  
What is the water flow at the source like? Are you just connecting to an outside faucet on a house? I would use 1 1/4" Polyethylene Potable Water Pipe to get to your sprinkler head ($100' is only $39 at Menards).

/ Watering grass on distant area - pump? #4  
Yeah at least 1" poly. You can't draw from a garden house as it will collapse. Booster pumps need to be at the start of the hose/pipe, not the end. They make big gun sprinklers that cover a long way, but you will need like 30 GPM at 90 PSI to make one of those work.