WaterJet

/ WaterJet #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
Anyone own or use a waterjet? My stepfather is looking a buying one. He is looking at a Flow. Awesome machine!!! Big bucks!!

/ WaterJet #2  
Flow International is located out here in Kent,WA. I did a Cooling System Audit on a CAT C-9 engine that they use to run their pumps. I was there for three days about 4 years ago. They chose to build their own radiator for the Cat engine, thus it required testing to insure it followed Cat's recommendations. I did learn that Flow chooses to use a larger engine size and radiator size to lesson and stresses for the horsepower they require. They told my that the reason is allow their customers the reliability of these components, because there is standard maintanence required for their extreme high pressure pumps and that is what they want their customers to focus on. If memory serves me correctly, they mentioned that for every 40 hours of high pressure use, their pump requires 3-4 hours of maintanence for a pump reseal/packing kit. They did mention that a service person gets used to the procedure, it can be done in a big 2 hours, I believe. I never got to see one cut anything, We just turned up the pressure to 48,000 psi to "work" the engine to raise the cooling temperatures so I could do all the necessary testing. They did mention that you MUST always have supply water(garden hose) turned on BEFORE you even crank/start the engine to insure their pump seals are always are getting water/lubrication. If you didn't know about the importance of maintanence on these units, I thought this might be helpful.

/ WaterJet #3  
We have an Calypso 4X4 Hammerhead at work and absolutely love it. Huge productivity increase for the kind of work we do (mostly test fixtures). Still have to do some finish work on conventional machines where the tolerances are tight (less than about .005") but it saves a bunch of time in roughing. We're getting to the point where more of the work is actually designed with the machine in mind.

It's a bit of a nuisance to maintain. We have the complete filtration system, RO water system and are considering adding the tank cleanout auger. Periodic purging of the media/swarf is a chore.

We used a local guy for WJ services for a couple of years before getting our own. It's a very different machine from traditional shop tools. How much experience does your stepfather have with waterjet cutting?

/ WaterJet
Well, we currently send out all parts for waterjetting. So not much experience doing actual cutting. Seems so simple. 2D for the most part, except for the add on of dynamics, which I think we are going for. Lots of maintainance, huh? Doesn't say anything like that in that flashy DVD. They all call for the same amount of upkeep. I assume the water filter system keep that down a bit? Those systems get pricey too!!

I love this web site!! So much hands on knowlege!!

/ WaterJet #5  
The company I work for is looking to buy one any day now @ 250-350K.

We currently have 30 CNC machines ( laths and mills). 3 punch presses and 4 press brakes.

We desperately need a water jet. I am the sales manager and currently having to turn work away. And I am outsourcing laser and waterjet work at this time.

/ WaterJet #6  
OK, So what exactly is a waterjet? My first thoughts were something for removing earth by hi-pressure hose....Seems there is more to them than that.

/ WaterJet #7  
dtd24, Flow may have changed/improved their design since I was there. So I would ask some questions of their personnel or ask for references of nearby companies that use thier system and get better, more current information. For others here; go to flowcorp.com to see a video online.

Last edited:
   / WaterJet
Watched the video...........spoke with the rep...........still a whole heck of alot of money.

The project list is only limited as your imagination..........or the time in a day.

Awesome machines. They can cut up to 8" steel with water.

It will make my theads to build it yourself more interesting

/ WaterJet #9  
Pat,
Think metal cutting machine via extremely high pressure water usually with an abrasive added. Thin metal or thick... complex designs are possible and repeatable as needed.
Draw up a design in CAD, chuck in a piece of metal and push go.

One of the motorcycle tv shows has one in their shop. Once they needed a funny shaped wrench so the operator clamped in some 3/8" (I guess) metal and the machine cut it out. They dried the wrench off and tightened up the fitting on the bike.