Chipper WC8 Feeding problems

/ WC8 Feeding problems #1  

rovingswaim

Tractor
Yanmar 1700
So, I have a WC8 and have run about 10 to 12 hours of material through it and now it doesn't want to feed as well as it did when it was new. I have adjusted he anvil to a dimes distance from the blades, adjusted the drive belt, checked the feeder roller for the teeth and other discrepancies, and finally the springs that give tension to the drive roller.
What else would I check? The chipper still works but not as efficient as when it was new, like I said. Sometimes I feel like I have to push more Han I should on material.

/ WC8 Feeding problems #2  
Time to get the chipper blades sharpened...
Don't go by "feel"...just get 'em sharpened and I'm sure you see a vast improvement.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a spare set.

/ WC8 Feeding problems
You wouldn't happen to know the best angle for those blades would you?

/ WC8 Feeding problems #4  
Make sure the belt is not slipping that turns the feed drum gear box.

/ WC8 Feeding problems #5  
You wouldn't happen to know the best angle for those blades would you?

I don't...did you buy this chipper new? If so, the owner's manual should have the correct angle.
BTW, I did a quick internet search on WC8 chippers. I see this is a Chinese built machine. Those blades might not be a real good quality steel (China isn't real good at steel manufacturing). You can probably get a local machine shop to duplicate them out of a good quality tool steel.

/ WC8 Feeding problems #6  
The chipper still works but not as efficient as when it was new, like I said. Sometimes I feel like I have to push more Han I should on material.
I've got 40+ hours on my blades, they're still chipping just fine. They've never been removed or adjusted. But the teeth on the feed roller wear with time, how much varies with what kind of material they've dragged through. I recommend you remove the feed roller and touch up the teeth with a grinder or a file.

While it's out, inspect both ends of the little driveshaft for signs of slippage. The U-joint connects with simple male/female couplers, so rounding of the square edges is a (slight) possibility. But I'm thinking just sharpening the roller teeth should help a lot.

//greg//

/ WC8 Feeding problems
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

As an update, I've tightened the feeder gear box belt and it helped a little. I checked the blade edges and they look to have a good edge still on them, but I'm going to sharpen them just for general purpose. As for the feeder roller...... it looks to still have plenty of tooth left, especially when it's chewing a branch or whatever while it's not chipping, but again I'm going to hit those teeth for good measure as well.

One more question, does anyone think that the spring tension on the feed roller might be an issue?

/ WC8 Feeding problems #8  
If the blades are dull then forcing the material into the chipper is a futile effort. The chips will start to look stringy instead of clean cut small pieces. Actually with sharp blades the chipper will try to pull the material in and the feed roller actually holds it to a manageable speed. I adjust the bed blade gap with a dime. Turn the flywheel until a blade lines up with the bed blade and then check the gap for the full length of the blade.

I've found that sharp blades are a must with green material and then usually chip dead wood after the blades start to get dull.

/ WC8 Feeding problems #9  
I have a similar problem. The branches/small trees want to work toward the center of the flywheel. From there the bark lips between the cutting blades and the cutter bar. From there the wood will no longer feed through. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem.

/ WC8 Feeding problems #10  
As addressed by DeeDubya, sounds like your blade gap is too wide

//greg//