We got it made...

/ We got it made... #1  

Volfandt

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856
I've just got back inside after going outside in the cold an dark to start the ole work van and it dawned on me just how easy it was.
Just turn the key and all that computer controlled fuel & timing adjustments take over. After a turn or two the engine starts right on up, I throw the selector to defrost/heat, temp control to HOT and I paddle back in, maybe a total of 30 secs out in the dark 19 degree weather.

Anyone remember the old days when you had to somtimes stomp on the throttle to get that frozen choke to close? Have the engine start only to stop again and have to play with throttle position to get it to start again? Run an engine down trying to start and having to breakout the ever present battery charger?

Yepper, we sure have it made anymore /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Volfandt

/ We got it made... #2  
Anybody else remember starting either? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ We got it made... #3  
Started the Tahoe Monday morning no problem. Set the temperature and defrost on high. Went back 20 minutes later and the found a 4' crack across the windsheild. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ We got it made... #4  
<font color="blue"> found a 4' crack across the windshield. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
To much starting ether? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ We got it made... #6  
Volfandt,
I'm glad to hear someone else mention it..... I've been working on cars since the carb was on the way out. I often hear guys say "get rid of all that electronics and give me a carb"........Well, I dont want to get rude, but lets just say that aint right.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remember,carburator by definition is "a high tech device to provide, for every operating strategy, the incorrect fuel mixture". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. If you traveled out to say Colorado from Florida, you would have to pull over and re jet the carb before you got there /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..Great component huh?

Dont forget adjusting the points frequently. How about the tune up with points, condensor, cap, rotor, plug wires...... All this for 150hp in most cases.. If you got one with the 400hp engine, you might also get 8-10mpg as a bonus!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Things have progressed greatly, even if you dont understand the system and how to work on it..... We dont have carburators anymore,fuel injection handles the "correct mixture". No points,condensor,plug wires. We have platinum plugs now and except for an oil change you dont even need to lift the hood before 100k mi. That was worn out 30yrs ago /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, and now we can get 24mpg out of our 390hp Mustang with a/c,power steering,pdl,pw,power "disc" brakes, with all the saftey features you care to have(and then some)...

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt mind having an old car... It would be purely for nostalgia reasons though...My newer car would still be the daily driver... But thats just me /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ We got it made... #7  
OH boy do i remember that!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Before i had a garage it was a real pain, had to go out set the choke, and try and start the car, then had to sit there until the engine would stay running with out constantly playing with gas pedal, then get out and brush the car off and wait for the febel heater warm up enough to keep th windows semi clear! for the last 15 years on every car i buy , new or used the first thing that gets added is a remote starter, the cars are now parked in garage, open the garge door from the house, and start the car from the house, when it is warm just get in and drivve away!!!!!! LIFE IS GOOD /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ We got it made... #8  
Thats the thing.. it doesn't HAVE to be an either/or situation. You CAN have your cake and eat it too if the car companies would just do it.

Not to start a diesel engine war (I even drive the one I am about to bash)... but take the Ford Powerstroke vs Cummins debate. On one hand you have a great solid engine that is diminished in reliability by the millions of wires, wiring harnesses, and sensors that snake all over the engine. I am talking about the Powerstroke if you aren't aware. On the other hand, you have another great strong engine NOT diminished by those same things. The Cummins is still a very technologically advanced engine, but the designers did not use technology just for the sake of technology.

On an older powerstroke, 90% of the problems faced are because of deteriorating wiring and harnesses and sensors due to engine heat and moisture. Every vehicle overtaken by the technology bug has similar issues. Use the electronics only where absolutely necessary.

/ We got it made... #9  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI should refuse to comment /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll just say, to a point..........

/ We got it made... #10  
Ah yes. The cable operated choke that was all the way on to start and then shove it in half way to warm up. Don't forget a few pumps of the pedal to let tha accelerator pump squirt in some fresh fuel. Then the points system with the dwell meter, that meter and my timing light are collecting dust.

I now can not set my idle speed, no idle mixture adjustment, can not set the timing, no dwell or points to mess with. What's a distributor cap? The fan belt is always held tight with an automatic tensioner even, what about them new fangled paper air cleaners.

And then the things you don't know about like torque management where the computer offers less available power at 0 mph to prevent wheel spin. Top speed limiters, rpm limiters, and limp features to prevent further damage to the engine and tranny if an important component has failed.

My current 1998 model truck has a 350CI small block chevy engine pretty much just like it came in the 50s except with fueling and emmisions enhancements. The engine systems evolved but the engine is still the same underneath it all.

How about carburetor icing? That was a bugger.