Weather fun with MATH!

/ Weather fun with MATH! #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
July has been wet here. 12.9 inches so far, and we are supposed to get over an inch during the next 20 hours. Everything is green, the brooks are full, and the vernal pool out back is full and flowing.

Now the math part.

13 or 14 inches of rain is over a foot. In this state, the house and two acres is termed a homestead for tax purposes etc.

2 acres an a foot deep is 2 acre-feet of water. An acre foot is equal to somewhere near 266,000 gallons of water .

2 acres would be 532,000 gallons. round up about 20% for the 14 inches. we are looking at 600,000 gallons of fresh rain water right here at the house just during the month of July!

Seems like a lot ;-)

/ Weather fun with MATH! #3  
July is our rainiest month. So far it rained 16 out of 18 days this month. The weather channel says we have had 4 1/3 inches of rain this month. I have emptied a 5 gallon bucket I keep in the yard 3 times this month. I don't know where they get their measurements from but it sure ain't in this neighborhood.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #4  
Yeah, quit being a precipitation hog.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #5  
I would love to send our next week's weather, starting with what we had today. As badly as you need the rain I don't want to say how many days we've had it so far this month... which is traditionally one of our driest.

I try not to complain about it here though, as I know how badly others would like to see something coming down.

Last edited:
   / Weather fun with MATH! #6  
Wow! We have had 4" of Precipitation so far this year and have been complaining because it seems excessive. An attitude adjustment is in our future. Stay safe out there!

/ Weather fun with MATH! #7  
I haven't found out where we are in our rainfall to date. I do know we are below what is expected. We average 17 inches annually.

My lake is 10 inches lower than normal for this time of year.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #8  
Well darn, oosik. We just had a thunder storm that dumped .87" in a couple hours. I'd send it your way if I could.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #9  
I would take a guess - we have received less than half the "normal" rainfall to date, this year.

The thing I worry about - Doofy - this fall we might get rains to make up for this shortfall. If it comes as storms - there will be serious flooding. Around here if we get one inch in 24 hours it causes significant erosion.

I look out across the lake and see water line marks on the cliffs. Calcium deposits from the hard water. Just like the rings on a bath tub, only they are bright white on the black basaltic lava cliffs. Current water level will be setting an all new low level mark.

I still have plenty of water in my spring - supplies water to the house. But, it too, is low for this time of year.

It's just a really dry year.

But let's do some math. I have five acres of open water in my lake. Five acres of cattails with an average water depth of six feet. The entire ten acres is down 10 inches.

Ten acres is - 435,600 square feet. Ten inches is 0.83 of a foot. So 435,600 x 0.83 = ~ 362,000 cu ft. There is 7.5 gallons of water per cubic foot. So ... 362,000 x 7.5 = 2,715,000 gallons.

Yes - I've lost a little water so far this year. Thank GOD - the lake is 80 feet deep.

Last edited:
   / Weather fun with MATH! #10  
out here there is no snowpack left, the waters are low, no rain of any real measure in past 3 months, and high risk of forest fires. basically ... another year like 2017 with fire bans etc.

1626678425230.png