Weather fun with MATH!

/ Weather fun with MATH! #11  
CalG - your calculations on a acre foot of water are a little short. On acre = 43,560 sq ft. One foot deep = 43,560 cu. ft. A cubic foot of water is roughly 7.5 gallons. 43560 cu ft x 7.5 = 326,700 gallons.

Whatever - it's a whole lot of water.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #12  
all I know is that for the past 20 yrs, I have Water Rights on the creek on the property. 6,000 Litres a DAY (about 1,500 gallons daily) ... I think it is more than that actually - it's a whole lotta water, that I have not yet used.

/ Weather fun with MATH!
CalG - your calculations on a acre foot of water are a little short. On acre = 43,560 sq ft. One foot deep = 43,560 cu. ft. A cubic foot of water is roughly 7.5 gallons. 43560 cu ft x 7.5 = 326,700 gallons.

Whatever - it's a whole lot of water.
I know.

I used the international unit for gallons of BEER! those are bigger, and everyone knows bigger is better.

And beer is god's way of letting us know we are supposed to be happy.

Ain't math fun!

/ Weather fun with MATH! #14  
The article I was reading about the hundreds of human deaths in Europe was due to,,, wait for it,,

3 3/4 inches of rain,, (less than 10 CM of rain),,

That does not seem like much, I have had triple that in 24 hours at my home,
we had to regrade the gravel driveway,,

Maybe the Europe floods are not displaying much accumulation because the rain gauge is not located where it is raining?? :rolleyes:

/ Weather fun with MATH! #15  
I know.

I used the international unit for gallons of BEER! those are bigger, and everyone knows bigger is better.

And beer is god's way of letting us know we are supposed to be happy.

Ain't math fun!

There is an international unit for gallons of beer?

And to think I just used cases.

MoKelly

/ Weather fun with MATH! #16  
The article I was reading about the hundreds of human deaths in Europe was due to,,, wait for it,,

3 3/4 inches of rain,, (less than 10 CM of rain),,

That does not seem like much, I have had triple that in 24 hours at my home,
we had to regrade the gravel driveway,,

Maybe the Europe floods are not displaying much accumulation because the rain gauge is not located where it is raining?? :rolleyes:
I don't think it is a missing rain gauge.

Well, there were areas with 6" of rain, some of them getting 2" of rain in an hour. Some of the footage afterwards showed flood water levels two and a half stories high, which is pretty typical of flash floods in mountains. (Altenahr, Germany) If you look at the storm path, it hit the mountains and then moved down the river valleys, adding more water to the flooding water. There are some nice radar storm maps out there.

There certainly was not a great emergency alert system in place; the Germany federal weather agency issued an alert, but left it up to the individual states to warn residents and not all of them got the warning out to the small towns.

However, given the age of many of the houses, you can say that it is a historically very uncommon event. Once in a hundred years or more. How much of it was made worse by more roads or climate change? Certainly could be, but you can say that it is historically very unusual.

All the best,

Peter

/ Weather fun with MATH!
Just a comment:

When Katrina hit New England, The LAST THING on anyone's mind in my area was flooding. We were all up for high winds, power outages downed trees blocking roadways etc.

But when the wind died down. The water came.
Lives were lost in the swirling darkness.

Strange what escapes us....

/ Weather fun with MATH! #18  
Whoa there Scardychicken. That sign says - basically, I can't go "out there".

I NEVER get so much rain that it causes flooding. The spring snow melt has caused flooding around my out buildings. I have a simple cure. Three inch trash pump - over the hill and into my lake. This happens about once every ten years. The house sits high enough that these spring snow melt waters never get near it.

My most annoying situation. The wind blows - here comes the dust - so thick I can not look outside and even see my lake. I can not open the windows, turn on my big fans and cool down the house. So we sit here, sweating, until the wind quits and the dust goes away.

CalG - Well, the International Unit for Gallons of Beer - - that DOES change the calculations. My error ................

/ Weather fun with MATH! #19  
I haven't found out where we are in our rainfall to date. I do know we are below what is expected. We average 17 inches annually.

My lake is 10 inches lower than normal for this time of year.

I don't have the exact firgures but we are lacking just about half of our normal precip for this year to date. We got almost zero precip during our spring wet season. That hurts when normal is only 16-17" annual. Harvest has just started, prediction is for at least 30% reduction in yeild and big drop in quality fpr the wheat crop.

/ Weather fun with MATH! #20  
Whoa there Scardychicken. That sign says - basically, I can't go "out there".

Big announcemtn last night on the news. DNR has ALL DNR land East of the Cascades to the Idaho border. You are right. We can't even go out there to take a stroll.