temperature
alerts for very high wind for safety and low wind for herbacide spraying
nice large display, maybe backlit

nice-to-have
atomic clock
PC connectivity

.any recommendations appreciated, let's stay under $150

/ weather station recommendations? #4  
The Vantage series by Davis does pretty much all you asked for. I have the Vue (a lower end model), and it has all those features except atomic clock. Working now for a couple years without a problem. Regards, Mike

/ weather station recommendations? #5  
After going through 4 low-cost weather stations, that broke or didn't work, I purchased a Davis Pro Vantage 2 for around $500. That was 5 or more years ago and it has been rock solid. I sure wish I had started with the Davis and saved myself time and money. Be sure and do lots of research on the long-term performance of the low cost models. There are several threads on weather stations here too.

Good luck.

/ weather station recommendations? #6  
After going through 4 low-cost weather stations, that broke or didn't work, I purchased a Davis Pro Vantage 2 for around $500. That was 5 or more years ago and it has been rock solid. I sure wish I had started with the Davis and saved myself time and money. Be sure and do lots of research on the long-term performance of the low cost models. There are several threads on weather stations here too.

Good luck.

Yep, that's been my experience too. After wasting money and time on cheap weather stations, I purchased a Davis Pro Vantage 2 Weather Station over 6 years ago. It has worked as designed for all that time. I had a couple of problems with the rain sensor errors in recording rainfall. Each time I contacted Davis, they promptly sent the replacement parts to me at no charge. I also have software loaded on my computer to report my weather data to the Weather Underground internet weather web site every 2 seconds.:D

I have a TX pesticide application license and for my required records when spraying my pasture for weeds, I keep a copy of the wind speed and direction for that day with my other records.

Bill

/ weather station recommendations? #7  
When I researched weather stations, the common thing I read was that the cheaper ones did not last. So I too went with the Davis Pro Vantage 2 about 5 years ago and I've been very happy.

I only wish they had software for the Mac. I bought a cheap netbook computer for the weather station.

/ weather station recommendations? #8  
When I researched weather stations, the common thing I read was that the cheaper ones did not last. So I too went with the Davis Pro Vantage 2 about 5 years ago and I've been very happy.

I only wish they had software for the Mac. I bought a cheap netbook computer for the weather station.
Seems like i remember seeing software on weather-display site that would work with mac.

/ weather station recommendations? #9  
The Davis Vantage Pro has software for OSX "WeatherLink for Mac OS X"

/ weather station recommendations? #10  
Well the OSX software is new since I bought my weather station. But $165 is pretty steep!

Thanks for the heads up.