weather station recommendations?

/ weather station recommendations? #11  
Well the OSX software is new since I bought my weather station. But $165 is pretty steep!

Thanks for the heads up.

Do check out Weather Display - the Weather Station software and also look at their forum for Macs. I don't use a Mac, but Weather-Display is great software and works with about any weather station.

I should have mentioned to the OP that to really get the most out of his station, he will want to run software 24/7.

/ weather station recommendations? #12  
Many have mentioned the Davis weather stations; if and when I upgrade that is probably my next WS. I'm currently running an Ambient WS-2080 with dual monitors. One is dedicated to uploading info to WeatherUnderground (with use of a netbook computer) and the other is downstairs just for casually checking weather. I've been running the 2080 since November and have had zero problems with the unit. There are many places to purchase WS's, I can tell you that AmbientWeather.com: weather stations, weather station equipment, weather radios, and more prices and customer service is top notch.

By the way, uploading to WeatherUnderground is free and you can download the app to view your station from a smart phone. Sandaysoft > Cumulus software can be run on several different WS's and is free to use and download, this is what you could use to upload your weather to WU.

/ weather station recommendations? #14  
Another satisfied Davis Vantage Pro user. Have the wireless Internet module. I can monitor from phone, iPad, computer and also share link with anyone interested. I also link to wunderground.com and get my historical data there.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ weather station recommendations? #15  
I also am a Davis fan I have a VP2 and a new Vantage Vue for another location they are side by side at the moment and seem to record exactly the same!! The Vue can be had for about $100 over your planned price!

/ weather station recommendations? #16  
Another vote for the Davis. I have two. The latest is a Davis 6163 Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus. I have the IP link on both for Internet access. On one I also have an add-on wireless temp module with the probe installed 4' underwater in my pond so I can monitor and record the water temperature. Davis doesn't seem to update their products very often, but they seem to be pretty stable and reliable.

/ weather station recommendations?
all good info...lots of pointers to sites and stations I had not located.
I had considered Weather Underground and 24/7 monitoring. I do have extra PCs laying around that could do that. Sounds like a good idea to do that.
Lots of Davis fans ...reliability is there, price a little steep, but your testamonials have caught my attention.
Also, the ambient 2090 had caught my eye...no solar shield needed and all sensors in one unit plus everything else for $110. No wonder currently sold out.

/ weather station recommendations? #18  
Another for Davis....I had a couple of other cheapo stations that all crapped out, for various reasons, within 1-2 years (Central TX summers are a little hard on electronics that are intentionally positioned in the direct sun). My Davis station has been running now for 3 years--no issues.

/ weather station recommendations? #19  
I have the Ambient 1090. Does everything you list. Gets many 5 star reviews on Amazon. Works like a champ for me.

/ weather station recommendations? #20  
I had the same problem, buying a weather station for a college science department. After several disappointments with differing equipment, I just went to the internet and got all the data we needed from dedicated local weather reporters such as schools, airports, and nearby broadcast stations.

I found that the most closest to our measurements were those at the same altitude. Around here, mid Atlantic Appalachians, altitude and microclimate, especially the direction that slopes face, cause significant weather changes

Maybe this is useful for you. If you wanted your own very local conditions, this approach would not work.