weather station recommendations?

/ weather station recommendations? #21  
I have two Davis weather stations both are at least 10 years old and working well. They are nice I check them every morning. But In the workshop I have a $24.95 Atomic Clock, in color, with time, temperature inside and out, Barometer with rise and fall indicators and weather prediction. I like it a lot so when the outside sensors go on the weather stations I will not replace them. :2cents:

/ weather station recommendations? #22  
Another vote for the Davis. I have two. The latest is a Davis 6163 Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus. I have the IP link on both for Internet access. On one I also have an add-on wireless temp module with the probe installed 4' underwater in my pond so I can monitor and record the water temperature. Davis doesn't seem to update their products very often, but they seem to be pretty stable and reliable.

How does this water temp get reported? Just on the console or in the apps or web? Been thinking of adding this to keep track of pool temp.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ weather station recommendations? #23  
How does this water temp get reported? Just on the console or in the apps or web? Been thinking of adding this to keep track of pool temp.

The water temp gets reported as "Temp 2" on the console. One thing I'd note (because it surprised me) is that the console will graph a history of the inside and outside temp, but it won't graph the extra temp sensor.

With the additional purchase of the Weatherlink software and data logger, you can archive the data and make graphs on a PC or MAC. With Weatherlink there is also the option to have the data from your station show up on a simple web page at weatherlink.com, which is easily checked from your smartphone. I use this often to get a quick real-time weather check. The water temp will show on the data summary page.

See these examples:

Davis | WeatherLink - WeatherLink Station Map

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

Davis | WeatherLink - My Weather Page

Weatherlink will run you another $200 to $300 depending on the option you choose. I've been using WeatherlinkIP, which requires very little setup.

The wireless temp sensor runs another $200.

/ weather station recommendations? #24  
Cool ! This thread is wanting me to get going on hooking up my weather station, can't remember the brand at the moment but I will check it out soon. Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

/ weather station recommendations? #25  
all good info...lots of pointers to sites and stations I had not located.
I had considered Weather Underground and 24/7 monitoring. I do have extra PCs laying around that could do that. Sounds like a good idea to do that.
Lots of Davis fans ...reliability is there, price a little steep, but your testamonials have caught my attention.
Also, the ambient 2090 had caught my eye...no solar shield needed and all sensors in one unit plus everything else for $110. No wonder currently sold out.

IMO, don't buy the 2090, get the 2080. You will need the larger add-on solar shield if you want accurate readings unless you can get your sensor in the shade. But shade means you are probably blocking wind, thus wind reading won't be accurate.

/ weather station recommendations?
their site says the 2090 is an upgrade to the 2080, in particular a better temp sensor and no extra solar shield required...
are you saying that the upgrade is still insufficient and a LARGER shield is still needed? I'm having a little trouble why an accurate temp sensor is so difficult. Seems just need several layers of shielding/shadè to do the job...maybe you have insight...couldn't one build an umbrella for it? I will be putting it on a tower, no shade, trees, obstruction for 40 yards any direction.

Solar shield is another $30 while cost is same for 2080 and 2090.

IMO, don't buy the 2090, get the 2080. You will need the larger add-on solar shield if you want accurate readings unless you can get your sensor in the shade. But shade means you are probably blocking wind, thus wind reading won't be accurate.

/ weather station recommendations? #27  
their site says the 2090 is an upgrade to the 2080, in particular a better temp sensor and no extra solar shield required...
are you saying that the upgrade is still insufficient and a LARGER shield is still needed? I'm having a little trouble why an accurate temp sensor is so difficult. Seems just need several layers of shielding/shadè to do the job...maybe you have insight...couldn't one build an umbrella for it? I will be putting it on a tower, no shade, trees, obstruction for 40 yards any direction.

Solar shield is another $30 while cost is same for 2080 and 2090.

The sensor array is upgraded (??) but I doubt the temp sensor is any more accurate. With the small solar shield on the 2090 the temp is going to be affected by direct sun light. The wind directional and wind speed cups are now combined, therefore you can't separate them nor can you place the temp sensor at the optimal height without affecting wind/speed/direction. For those reasons I believe the upgrade is a downgrade. It will also be easier to replace a given part on the 2080 because the components are separate and not combined. Again, this is just my opinion but I think you’ll find that temps without the larger shield will at times be 3 or 4 degrees off.

/ weather station recommendations?
fair enough
So, with the 2080 I could mount everything BUT the temp sensor at the top of my tower and temp sensor in a location/shaded box I construct for it? What is optimum height for temp sensor and how far can it be located from the other sensors?? Individual sensor replacement does seem to be an advantage.

The sensor array is upgraded (??) but I doubt the temp sensor is any more accurate. With the small solar shield on the 2090 the temp is going to be affected by direct sun light. The wind directional and wind speed cups are now combined, therefore you can't separate them nor can you place the temp sensor at the optimal height without affecting wind/speed/direction. For those reasons I believe the upgrade is a downgrade. It will also be easier to replace a given part on the 2080 because the components are separate and not combined. Again, this is just my opinion but I think you値l find that temps without the larger shield will at times be 3 or 4 degrees off.

/ weather station recommendations? #29  
fair enough
So, with the 2080 I could mount everything BUT the temp sensor at the top of my tower and temp sensor in a location/shaded box I construct for it? What is optimum height for temp sensor and how far can it be located from the other sensors?? Individual sensor replacement does seem to be an advantage.

To get all components to an optimal height and position is extremely difficult but anything close will give you reasonably accurate results. Take a look here: Weather Station Installation Guide Be sure to view the available pdf files that are linked on that page. The first pdf explains height and distance but is in meters, easy enough to do the approximate math though. You can Google weather station placement and will get several hits, all are approximately the same info. One thing you should definitely do is use lithium batteries in the sensor and console. Dollar for dollar they last longer and are less susceptible to temperature changes.

If you do go with the WS2080 or 90, the software set up will confuse you, but if you look at the help menus on Easy Weather + Cumulus you'll find that you don't have to enter much configuration at all. Be sure you set the proper time zone, for example (-5 is a different zone than 5). Another thing is if you live at altitude, find on line a local airport that is approximately the same ft above sea level as you are and use that barometric pressure reading in your settings. That all sounds confusing but you'll grasp it and find it's fun to do. I suggest you peruse the following message board: WXforum.net - Index Everything you'll need is there and the members are as friendly as here on TBN.

One other thing, if you do use Cumulus to upload to WeatherUnderground you’ll need to shut Easy Weather software down. Just use Easy Weather when configuring your console and making changes.

Now that I confused you, don't worry, you will love it and will learn a lot about weather.

/ weather station recommendations? #30  
Davis Vantage pro 2 here with Weatherlink to broadcast my data. 3 flawless years so far.

Dad has a Davis Weather Wizzard, going on 8 years old (IIRC). No issues at all either. And its right off the ocean in a salt spray environment.

We had a cheaper ($100) station from Walmart (National Geographic?? brand). It was garbage. Batteries dieing and it basically was destroyed by the salt environment in less than a year. Waste of $100.

I can't say enough good about the Davis products. Plus in the unlikely event something gets damaged after the warranty expires, most if not all the parts are available for purchase. Things like anemometer cups.

Davis products are more pricey than the cheap chinese models, but they are made in the USA to a higher standard. They are basically professional quality, but not near as expensive as actual "commercial" products, as such they are used in a lot of commercial and industrial applications.

I bought through these guys: Davis Vantage Pro2 Great service and lowest price I found.