Web-servers and cron jobs

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Can those of you that are computer savvy tell me if all web-servers have the ability to run cron jobs?

Do I need do anything to the server myself to be cron enabled or will I need contact the company that hosts my web site?

I need to run software that automatically checks at pre-determined intervals for reciprocal links to my web site.

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #2  
cron is on unix right? is this a unix server? even if it's microsoft i'm sure they can run such jobs... you need to contact the admin of your host provider and tell them you want to run a job at a particular time.

/ Web-servers and cron jobs
Skerby said:
cron is on unix right? is this a unix server? even if it's microsoft i'm sure they can run such jobs... you need to contact the admin of your host provider and tell them you want to run a job at a particular time.

Skerby I took your advice and contacted my administrator. Turns out on this particular server he has to add all cron jobs himself. Still all I need do is send him the information and it will happen.

Thanks!

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #4  
PineRidge said:
I need to run software that automatically checks at pre-determined intervals for reciprocal links to my web site.

What are "reciprocal links to your website"? Just curious.:confused:

Moss if I post a link at my web site then the other party reciprocates by posting my link at their web site (they have 5 days to do this). A spider will automatically check to be sure those links stay in place & on the designated page URL. If they are inadvertently deleted or moved to a different URL the cron will also automatically send the web site administrator an email reminding them to reinstate the link or be removed from my link page. It's all automatic, freeing up my time for more valuable efforts (like TBN). ;) I'll bet you knew that was coming.

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #6  
That's kinda one of the problems with having your website hosted on someone elses' servers... you rely on them to run programs and such and are at their mercy for these types of things. The plus side is you don't need to purchase hardware, software, access, etc... those benefits almost always outweigh the inconvenience factors.

We have a few websites that we have staging servers for. The entire website is on a small, cheap server that we have full control over. It does tasks as you describe and other checks and maintenance. Any time changes are made such as links, additions, subtractions, etc.. the website is re-published to a hosted site. But those are not e-commerce sites, more of informational sites with little customer interaction.

We have from time to time thought about purchasing a processor just to be used as an in-house server however as you said the cons seem to presently outweigh the pros. Change is usually inevitable though, so it still may happen.

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #8  
PineRidge,

Interesting topic on a tractor website but I understand how it relates.

The cron functionality is available on Unix, Linux and Windows servers. It is basically a process that runs and checks if any pre-defined jobs need to be executed. These pre-defined jobs can be made up of all sorts of commands, scripts, etc. to do tasks. The cron process performs the scheduling of when and how these jobs run. I have many running on servers all over the country doing various tasks.

Maintaining a production server of any kind can be time consuming. Complicate that with one accessible on the internet and providing web content and your TBN time may be drastically reduced.

dsb

Where does Telnet come into the cron? I was told that removing a cron from a server does not disable it. One must Telnet a terminate command, is this correct?

/ Web-servers and cron jobs #10  
PineRidge said:
Where does Telnet come into the cron? I was told that removing a cron from a server does not disable it. One must Telnet a terminate command, is this correct?

On my windows servers I use a .ini file (cron.ini, imagine that). It contains command paths that lead to .bat files. The cron32.exe service/process reads the .ini file and executes the .bat files according to the time specified in the ini file.
For example:

W00:01 C:\bin\tbn.bat

The .bat file can execute any kind of .exe file you want, or even other .bat files.
I think the telnet portion of your question has more to do with the web portion than the actual cron job. If the job isn't in the .ini file, then the service won't run it. HOWEVER, the when the service is started it reads the .ini file. I think the cron32.exe service restarts itself each 24 hrs.

You could probably google your key terms and find more info than asking on a tractor board...[;)]